“Wedding Fun”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
New York City
“Wedding Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

I attended a wedding here back in October and it was great! The service was fantastic and the entire group had a blast. The staff made sure to go above and beyond what was necessary in order to make the day perfect. The food was so so but wedding food is always a little iffy!! :)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

Lovely hotel. Wonderful front desk staff. Comfortable room and bed. Executive lounge was open on weekend for free wi-fi access, fruit and soda.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
PeterWebster007, General Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, December 23, 2009
Thank you for posting a review and i am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

metuchen, nj
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

My recent stay at The Short Hills Hilton was very disappointing. The problem started upon arrival. I was shocked when the gentleman checking me in informed me that my card was declined for the amount of my room. Knowing that the card has a five figure balance, I was completely embarrassed. I called the bank to confirm the balance and asked the gentleman to run the card again. The card worked fine. No apology was given for the embarrassing moment he created. Things only got worse from here. I had two massage appointments booked in the spa. When I arrived at the spa I was informed that only one massage would be accommodated due to the lack of personnel. To be fair, other services were offered to me but I declined. At this point I was offered a meager gesture of a free drink and two thirty minute extension vouchers to be used on my next visit. They were assuming that I would be back. When I finally made it to the pool I ordered two drinks that took more than thirty minutes to arrive. Things were not going well. Next were drinks and dinner in the bar lounge area. The service was unprofessional and lackadaisical. The Hilton expects its guests to pay top dollar for its services, shouldn't the guests have their expectations met as well? The answer is yes! However, on this visit to the Hilton my experience did not exceed my expectations.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank topher71
I am disappointed to read your poor review. Your stay was certainly not indicative of our usual high standards and i hope it will not deter you from staying with us again on a future occasion.

Regards

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

Returned to this hotel to give it another try, and without any intervention by management, the stay was uneventful and very pleasant. Check-in was easy and without a problem. Josh at the front desk was very professional and pleasant.

The front desk manager, Melissa, did see that I had returned after my stay was completed, and sent a very nice email. So, recovery is everything. I enjoyed my stay and will stay again. Thank you for a good experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for trying us again and for posting a postive review. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon when i am confident that you will again have a great stay.

kind regards

Paducah, KY.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

My recent stay at the Short Hills Hilton was brief and I was thankful for only the one night. I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel many times before when it used to be "the" place to stay in Northern New Jersey. I believe that the issues that I experienced are not necessarily emblematic of the property but more representative of the economical downturn.

When I arrived via taxi from Newark Airport, there was no bellman at the door, which has never happened at this location. I went to check-in and the young lady behind the desk was on the phone taking a reservation. Not necessarily surprising at a hotel but you would not expect this to happen at a hotel of this supposed stature. After she completed the call, she then answered the phone which typically would be the responsibility of a PBX operator. After completing the check-in I continued to my room which I found to be clean but tattered, both on the furniture and linens.

I went down to the restaurant for lunch and the lack of professionalism abounds with virtually no uniforms and totally unkempt looking staff. Frankly, I could have been at a Denny's restaurant and expected the same.

That evening we had a gathering in the lounge and there was not a server but rather the bar tender was also the server, which is not representative of the class that this hotel used to have.

In closing, while the stay was virtually problem free, it does not represent or meet the expectations that I have based on the history of the hotel as well as the pricing that you pay to stay there. While the hotel may not admit it, it appears that it is falling victim to insufficient cash flow and thus cutting back on staff and capital items has become a necessary evil.

If you are looking for a pampering, first class experience, this is not the place for you, although in the location of the property I'm not sure what the alternative would be.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank chandlerdrive
PeterWebster007, General Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, September 7, 2009
Thank you for your feedback though i am sorry that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay.

I note that you didnt receive poor service, just that there was fewer staff that particular evening. Reading your review i assume you checked in on a very quiet night as we normally always have more than enough team members on duty.

I hope that this experience will not deter you from staying again, as we are still the hotel of choice in the area.

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

just spent a night here and I'm really trying to understand why this hotel is considered 5 star. It's a typical Hilton but with gaudy decor, unjustifiably high prices and average service. If I hadn't heard about how great this hotel is, I suppose my expectations wouldn't have lead to disappointment. It's a fair 4 star hotel but nothing more. The bed was very comfortable, the concierge in the executive level was never there, food service at the pool (fruit plate and a bottle of wine) took over an hour and we were the only people there, and the breakfast buffet is the standard Hilton breakfast. Shannan at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank matthew.cronin
Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback.

Just to clarify, we are not a 5 diamond hotel but one of the five 4 diamond properties in NJ.

I am sorry that you felt our decor was gawdy; many guests compliment us on our furnishings, comparing to classic properties.

I hope to welcome you back again when you are next visiting the area.

kind regards

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

I have stayed at the hotel numerous times over the past three months, and have always found it to be immaculate, beautifully appointed, comfortable and quiet, with gracious, helpful staff. The restaurant / room service are delicious and innovative, without straying from the comfort zone (but expensive!) If you have a Visa Signature card, there is a fantastic room discount (25%) available until Sept. 30, at the hilton.com/visa web address.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Short Hills
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth
BEST WESTERN PLUS Murray Hill Hotel & Suites

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!