“Great stay”
Review of Hilton Short Hills

Hilton Short Hills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
Reviewed October 10, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Short Hills on business. I am a big stickler on cleanliness. I can deal with most things, but not an unclean room. In this case, I was not let down. I stayed in a suite. The furnishings and carpet were new and the rooms well appointed. Above all, the room was spotless. I received great service. I had lunch there and the food was good. The spa was being renovated so I could not view, but I expect it will be very nice when compared to the rest of the hotel. The lobby and other public areas are very nice with a lot of marble. Just across the street is the Short Hills Mall. It is a very nice mall with nice shops. Nothing else around though. If I am in the area, I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed September 9, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Short Hills on a business trip. It's a characterless business hotel located across from Short Hills Mall. The walls are paper thin--you can hear everything going on in the rooms either side of your room. They've also dispensed with such amenities as slippers and bathrobes in the room and a complimentary paper in the morning. It's a no frills, bland business hotel.

FYI The construction on the indoor pool and spa will go on until 11/08.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed August 7, 2008

The Hilton Short Hills is an excellent hotel for those wishing to get away from the city. The hotel is located approximately a half an hour away from the Newark Airport and 45 minutes from New York City.

The room I was given was probably one of the top 5 best rooms I've had the pleasure of every staying in. Lovely television and bathroom fixtures. The Hilton Short Hills is a great option to either escape the city or do daily trips into the city.

The pool area wasn't overly fancy but the pool side service was outstanding and the gentleman at the gates was very polite and gracious.

You will enjoy your stay at this property away from the hustle and bustle of New York City.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank reclermo
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Checked in to the hotel after a long night of traveling. Fell into bed at 5 am knowing we only had a couple of hours to get some sleep before our meeting. Then the knocking began. I thought it was someone above our room walking around in high heels, back and forth. I finally got up and called the front desk to ask them if there was construction going on or if they could check on what was going on upstairs. It took two additional calls from me before someone admitted that the spa was being demolitioned beneath our room! I told them we needed to have our room changed immediately and they took us two floors up to the opposite side of the hotel. Better.

The room was fine, bed was fine, bathroom was fine, TV was fine. But we had critters. I killed two and my husband admitted to killing two the morning we checked out, only because he knew I would have had a fit if I'd found out about them earlier. Oh and they allow dogs in the hotel too so if you hear barking and think you're crazy, you're not.

I agree with the other recent poster who mentioned the expensive room service. The menu at the restaurant downstairs didn't have anything we wanted so we ordered room service. It was merely okay, but for $200 we decided to go to Roots in Summit the next night instead. Our tab there, including a bottle of wine wasn't $200 and the steak and seafood was delicious.

The mall across the street, Short Hills, was a nice spot to kill some time.

The hotel was decent and served its purpose, but leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Check In/Room Key problems

I want to start by saying that the week before I stayed at the Hanover Marriott and the stay was best hotel stay I’ve ever had. With that stay in mind it might have been a little unfair to this hotel but when minor problems turns to one big annoying stay it's a pain. This week I had reservations for the Hilton Short Hills due to the proximity to the office. I’ve read all the glowing reviews. I called the hotel the day before to schedule for an airport pickup ($25). Had to call the hotel again when I arrived at the airport and waited another 15 minutes. No big deal even though the hotel was supposedly tracking my flight and knew that I had not checked any luggage. I was upgraded to the executive floor but only because I had called earlier also.

One of my pet peeves at any hotel is when the room key does not work. In this case it was a big deal since I needed it for the elevator. Everyday I would either have to have to get the key re-keyed or take the elevator all the way down to the lobby before I could take the elevator back up to the correct floor. I wasn’t the only one experiencing this problem.

Room Service

Yes I know that room service is expensive. I expect to pay a 20% surcharge for room service. I’m use to it but to be charged another $4 for a delivery fee?!?. Let me give you an example. Shrimp cocktail $19 turns out to the $28 at the end. Make sure you have them repeat the order back to you. It was only right half of the time. I did not eat in the restaurants. They didn’t appear busy at all. The food that I did order from room service was good but was it worth it? No. You’re suppose to leave your tray outside your room for pick-up. It sat there for 2 days.

Concierge Lounge

Big Room with not enough seating. Choices were slim for breakfast. Same items were offered every morning. Bagels, toast, pastries, fruit, cereal and boiled eggs. They do not have enough hostesses working the lounge. I am not intentionally trying to compare it to the Hanover Marriot but breakfast in their concierge lounge included bacon, ham, sausage, grits, oatmeal, biscuits, etc. No need to discuss the evening appetizers or dessert. You get the picture. So be prepared to sit down at a dirty table. No where to put your dirty dishes when you are done.

Room

Room was large. Bed was comfortable. The volume of the television would change constantly by itself. I had to constantly lower or turn up the volume. Press mute when the sound would go off.
The final evening I needed to turn off and on the tv to get the volume to work. In the course of one movie I had to do this 10 times. Room does not have wireless. Internet is $12.99/day. Housekeeping was adequate. They did forget to replenish the bathroom supplies twice.

Laundry/Dry Cleaning,

I sent some clothes to be clean and pair of men’s pants were returned to me. Notified housekeeping, then came to pick up the pants, came again to pick up the drying cleaning ticket, and then the next morning delivered the same wrong pair of pants.

Checking Out

I need transportation to the airport. I was charged $50 and when asked why I was only charged $25 for the pick up and now $50 for the drop off I was told they may have dropped off another passenger before picking me up. Make sure you confirm the price before you go.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 19, 2008

For what it is, a bland business hotel, this is below average. Rooms excellent, I had a suite but the TV in the lounge did not respond to the remote control, so that was annoying. The breakfast was poor and expensive, the bar service slow and the bar had absolutely no atmosphere. Bar food was nothing special.

I went to the spa to get a treatment but after 5 minutes of being ignored at the desk I just walked away.

The car service is very expensive.

It's clear they are used to people on expense accounts and are not concerned with the individual guest - if you are there and your company is paying then you won't mind but don't waste your own money!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We decided to give this a try. I had recieved a Gift Certificate from a friend for the Spa. I decided that we would spend the night also for a nice little getaway. Well, what a surprise when I called to make the reservation I was told that the spa was closed for renavations untill Nov. My girlfriend was never told this when she purchased the certificate a few weeks back. When speaking with the Spa they said the Hilton just decided to close it a few weeks ago they were never told. When speaking with the Hilton they said they do not run the facility. If this is how such a "top notch" Hotel is run I will never step foot in it nor would I ever encourage anyone to. There are many other hotels in the area for the same price and also 4 Stars. They may not have a "Spa" but then again apparently this hotel doesn't either and if their is one no one runs it. For all the people out there who also hold a gift certificate they did inform me that when they reopen??? if we can't get a appointment this year they will extend it until 2009. That's very nice now that my girlfriend is out $400.00.

Stayed: July 2008
#2 of 5 in Morristown
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!