“First-Class Stay and First-Class Staff”
Review of Hilton Short Hills

Hilton Short Hills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
New York City, New York
“First-Class Stay and First-Class Staff”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of retuning to the Hilton at Short Hills after having been travelling frequently on business. I have stayed here many times and I’m happy to say that as this world gets more hectic by the second, that such a place exists.
I have sought the Hilton out as a refuge from the frenetic pace of life, have entertained clients there, and have gone out of my way to recommend others seek this destination out.
One would expect a generic cookie-cutter Hotel Chain experience, but not here. As a 4-diamond Hotel, it seems they are constantly trying to take things up a notch. They certainly did with me.
For starters, I was greeted warmly and professionally by Richie at the Front Desk, who was extremely accommodative and friendly, helping me out of a difficult situation. I remember when he had just started there and it is so nice to see him burgeon into an even more professional, attentive persona. I felt back at home immediately and was able to rest after a tiring journey.
It didn’t stop there. As I entered the Concierge Level Towers Lounge, I was greeted warmly by a gal who has been there for years, and enjoyed a pleasant early breakfast in a civilized, relaxed setting.
My return visits to the Lounge during the day were a pleasant pitstop and capped off by a delightful evening presentation with another tremendous gal, Odeth, who has had tenure there as well. To complement this, the newer gals, Esther and Laura were absolute Sunshine.
The new restaurant was also an enjoyable experience as I was greeted for brunch by Ellen, who I’d met before. She was very friendly and accommodating to my needs and even helped us by the Outdoor Pool.
Everyone that helped me couldn’t be nicer, from Liz and Meghan at the Front Desk to gals on the Guest Service Hotline like Andrememe and She. Another great stay, many more to come I’m quite hopeful.
If your plans take you anywhere near, I recommend the Hilton at Short Hills.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Kenny H
Indriani S, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind and courteous words from your recent experience at our hotel. I have shared your message with the entire team as a reminder of what we strive to deliver on a daily basis – excellent service!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great Location! Super hotel. Nice staff. Great shopping across the street! Nice spacious, quiet rooms!! The hotel rooms were very spacious. Staff was super friendly. Could park your own car in an indoor garage at zero cost! Unheard of for a hotel of this category. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Indriani S, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you so much for a such a wonderful review! We appreciate your patronage and look forward to having you back again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I felt it obligatory to respond to both Terry B of Scarsdale, NY and Donya S of Springfield’s unfair depiction of what is still a great Hotel.
As a visitor to this Hotel and guest of many years, I can tell you that this Hotel tries hard and delivers. When I leave the tri-state area for business or pleasure I typically frequent the Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons as well as Hilton properties. The net result is always the same. I end up comparing them to Short Hills Hilton, which I first discovered approximately 20 years ago in American Express Platinum Card’s “Departures” Magazine. I have been returning with Friends & Family ever since and recommending it to the same. By the way, when it was mentioned in Departures, it was alongside hotel destinations as diverse as Jumby Bay, Antigua, and Anguilla.
So how does a suburban oasis like the Short Hills Hilton do it? They try hard in every way. I’ve met the GM who recently transitioned here; lovely guy. My interaction is more frequent with Melissa, Anthony, and Johnny, all of whom you will notice hustling to make things go well. Let me not forget to mention the countless friendly, industrious people who staff the Front Desk, Towers Lounge, Outdoor Pool, Phone Operation, Restaurant (!) Staff, Valets, Spa Staff, Chamber Maids, etc. This is a friendly hardworking group that aims to please. I wouldn’t be a repeat were it not the case.
In re: crowds, outdoor pool, etc. I think one must be realistic in that we as Northeasterners celebrate the outdoor weather for the few months we get it. If one goes to any beach or hotel with outdoor pool, you will likely find crowds and let us not forget, Summer is wedding season! And those that assemble for the joyous occasion may start their day on a gregarious, upbeat note. So, with the beautiful weather, and people who seek a place to relax in the sun by a pool, and wedding practices, it is logical that it will be busy. However, the Pool Staff is amongst the nicest you’d ever find. The “regulars” that are alluded to consist of Local Spa Members, hotel guests, and people who are all looking for the same positive experience.
Try taking a drive to the competition. Maybe you’d prefer the chicken-coop sized pools and dirty rooms and old feel they possess. You will not find a hotel that tries as hard for many miles. Servicing corporate guests, families and groups is no easy task, but the Hotel always finds a way to pull it off and stands ready to please. I myself always have found the guests and Spa Members to be nice people. I’ve made many friends and acquaintances over the years there and I must say I remember very little riff-raff even passing through.
If these guests had alerted someone to their issue (e.g. excessive smoking, drinking), I think the matter would have been quashed immediately. For example, I saw Anthony take a group of people who were convening where they shouldn’t and extricate them from where they were distracting others and put them where they could function comfortably without upsetting the other guests in the immediate proximity’s radius.
There will always be those who are a bit rambunctious but I’ve never seen things get out of hand.
In addition, neither of these complaints mention the tranquility that the indoor pool affords those who take advantage of it. So, if it was indeed so crowded, these complainers could have availed themselves to this beautiful, calm oasis, and even sat in the private outdoor area adjacent, and would have had no gripes. They say you can’t please everyone all of the time, but I must defend the Hilton in that it tries to do so.

Respectfully,

Jordan Bennett

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tedoberman
Thank you for the amazing review. We are delighted that we have taken the top spot in your list of favorite hotels. We are thrilled that we were able to WOW you on such a momentous occasion. I have shared your message with the entire team as a reminder of what we strive to deliver on a daily basis – excellent service!
gilroy, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hotel is nice, executive lounge not what it should be in both terms of food and service. I've never been grilled for my room number when I walked in a lounge before - not even a Hello, just "what's your room number?"

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay overall, however I did happen to take mention to your comments regarding the service you received while a guest of ours, and I did want to extend an apology to you concerning the service levels you received from our Executive Lounge staff. I will be sharing this review with the entire staff during our training sessions.I do hope that this experience has not marred your impression of our service and I hope to have you stay with us again soon.
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Excellent stay for wedding, business or extended short hills mall shopping. Not near New York City. Well appointed rooms but A/C set on motion sensors so when sleeping not to cold. They have to disconnect this if you ask
Very nice pool area and convenient self park

• Stayed August 2013
Indriani S, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for posting your review concerning our hotel on TripAdvisor, we greatly appreciate you taking the time out of your day to inform us about your stay. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope we will see you at the Hilton Short Hills again next time you are in New Jersey.
Chatham, New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2013

suburban new jersey isnt exactly the hotbed of night life, but when you want to go out on saturday night, or on a date, every bar is noisy, crowded and not conducive for talking and getting to know your date.

the hilton's bar/lounge isnt ever overcrowded, the couches are comfy, and you can actually talk in normal conversational tones with your date or significant other. yes, the food and drinks are a bit pricey,but its sure worth the price not to be jostled and having someone next to you yelling in your ear.

the lounge gives off the air of elegance and sophistication, but jeans and a t-shirt work there as well. the wait staff are friendly and helpful.they have a nice little menu, and the food is very good and moreover,the drinks arent watered down.

so what could be bad? nothing. try it sometime when you are tired of being a sardine on a saturday night in some bar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great feedback from your most recent stay. I was delighted to read that you were well looked after by our team and that you were able to relax. It is so nice to hear from loyal guest such as yourselves, as we value your feedback tremendously.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I at this hotel recently with my wife and young daughter and must say I was completely disappointed in the poor customer service. It first began when I attempted to order room service for my daughter. Our room was missing the menu and after calling the In Room Dining department TWICE to get one, they took 30 minutes to send it up. Upon checkout, I was appauled to see that the children's hot dog I ordered was charged to the room at $30.00. After being listed on the menu for 10.95, I instictively called down to the front desk and to review the bill. The front desk attendant "Richie" let me know that the Room Service director was "too busy" right now and she would get back to me when she was free. 3 hours later, I received a phone call explaining that the $10.00 children's hot dog I ordered was in fact correct at 30.00 due to the in room dining "service charge" AND automatic gratuity that is added to the bill. I left the hotel feeling cheated and taken advantage of. The place should be ashamed of themsleves to employ these types of protocols. It's a mediocre hotel at best, with horrible customer service. the best thing about the place is the mall across the street. They should be embarrassed and ashamed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank daniel f
Indriani S, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking your time and posting your review on TripAdvisor. We are terribly disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced. We would like to take this opportunity to look into some of these issues further, in order to make improvements for future guests. Should you have a moment, please email me at Indriani.susanto@hilton.com with the confirmation number from your stay as well as your Tripadvisor username. I do hope you allow us another opportunity to regain your trust as we do value your business and expect your next stay will be much more enjoyable.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Short Hills
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth
Best Western Plus Murray Hill Inn & Suites

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!