“Its nice, but”
Review of Hilton Short Hills

Hilton Short Hills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Right off the top I will say that the physical property is excellent. Not Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, but as good or better than any place else. The locale dictates that any nice place be expensive, thats fine I get it.

We stayed there for a weekend to attend a friends wedding, so there were few acceptable choices outside of the Hilton.

Here are my gripes, this hotel puts itself out there as a top end property, however some of the front line staff was lacking. Not one of the valets greeted me, I unloaded my car myself and parked it myself. I parked in the above ground lot because it was close and nobody told me that there was complimentry underground parking with elevator access. As I was walking back upto the main enterance, one the bellman informed me that my wife was waiting for me and my credit card, inside. I was a little shocked, since I am fairly sure her first stop after a 5 hour car ride was not the front desk.

After getting settled in the nicely appointed room, we headed back down to the bar. The two bar tenders I encountered over the weekend, both fall into the category of "odd" at best. Their bar is very well stocked, but it was annoying to sit in the hotel's one bar, watching NCAA games with Edith Bunker tickling the ivories and singing in the background. She was charming and I wouldn't have minded any other time, but not in the middle of NCAA tournament coverage.

There are a few things that tick me off when staying at a high end establishment and the Hilton was no different. Paying for internet when paying a $300/night room rate, obscenely marked up in room mini-bars and having to fight with the front desk to get "other" fees explained and removed from the bill.

Lastly, and had been on the hook for Sunday's brunch I would have complained, but the brides parents picked up the tab for a brunch that consisted of under cooked cold potatoes, luke warm waffles, runny eggs, brownish unappitising lox and the most disgusting tasting water I can remember being served.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank psuross

Reviewed February 26, 2008

I stayed in December 2007 for business and all charges were to go to the company I was consulting for. As usual I left a card imprint for incidentals and when I checked out I was reassured that there were no charges. To my surprise a small charge was billed to my card (about $7) the next month and although I had no idea why, it was easiest to pay. A bigger surprise was a month later when $300 was charged to my card for a "stay" in January 2008 even though I had only been there once in 2007. I called the property and they refused to help me. I wrote directly to the Hilton and finally the Front Office Manager, Mr Pisapia, contacted me but suggested that I was lying. Finally after collecting and sending all of the records the hotel agreed there was an error and someday the charges will be reversed (not as of Feb 2008 yet).

This property is very nice, the rooms clean and comfortable, however the front desk is snotty and apparently dishonest.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank BKR-7
Reviewed January 17, 2008

We stayed here for our niece's wedding. We had adjoining rooms, with us in one and the kids in the other. The rooms were lovely. The food was delicious, and the service was impeccable. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2007

Yes, the hotel is a bit pricey, but for the area, it's a typical rate. Everything in Short Hills is expensive, mall, houses, food. heck even Starbucks charges more for their coffee. The restaurant isn't cheap but the food is prepared by 5-star chefs. The amenities especially the spa are among the best in the state. If you are lookig for an inexpensive place to stay, try some of the hotels on Route 10 in East Hanover (a few miles away). This hotel is if you want to pamper yourself or naturally someone else (like your employer) is footing the bill. All in all it's a great place to stay and I recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chicken_Carbonara
Reviewed October 27, 2007

My husband and I stayed there from Oct 18 through 22 (four nights). We needed to be near Livingston, NJ and this was the closest best hotel. The location was good for our purposes. It is a little too far with traffic congestion, etc. if you plan on going into Manhattan a lot - 45 minutes without traffic to midtown. Cab fares are out of sight - just under $100 each way. Cheaper to rent a car, but then the parking in Manhattan is cost prohibitive and the traffic.....

The hotel was great. We stayed on one of the tower floors (6 and 7). Highly recommend it. They have 32" flat panel TVs and access to the club room which provides a good continental breakfast, beverages, etc. and good hors deuvres from 5:30pm and desserts from 8pm on. On Sundays, the hotel has a very expensive brunch ($50/pp) and the extra food is available in the club room starting at 5:30pm. No need to go to dinner that night. We canceled our plans to go back into Manhattan. All this is included in the price of the room, which is a little higher than the other rooms, but worth it.

The room was very clean, new, beautiful carpet, furniture, etc. The bathroom was spacious, granite, etc. Very comfortable bed. That was one of the main reasons we picked this hotel from reading other reviews on this website. The service is excellent. Only problem we had was asking for a wakeup call for the first morning that never called us. Good thing we also set the alarm clock which was in the room already.

The Terrace Restaurant in the hotel can be excellent or so so and the same with the service. It is spotty, but convenient. The first night I had the salmon entree and it was great. The next night I had the halibut entree and it was awful. My husband ordered different entrees and again the first night was great and the second was bad.

Another plus is the Mall which is across the street sort of. The hotel offers a free drive back and forth in a limo. It is a beautiful mall.

All said, we would stay there again. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I was lucky enough to be staying on a company expense account, so can't really comment about value for money. However, the hotel is very luxurious in a traditional way. The restaurant is very good with a great selection of wines and the Spa and Gym facilities are second to none.

The interior is a bit overblown and flouncy but everything is clean and sparkling.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank traffert
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We have family nearby and this is really the only decent hotel in the area. It is somwhat pricey especially since you wouldn't stay here for the amenities. It is clean, comfortable and pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
#1 of 1 in Springfield

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!