“Great service a stone throw from NYC”
Review of Hilton Short Hills

Hilton Short Hills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great service, location, amenities, rooms, in short, the expectations of a legendary chain, very well delivered. Across the street from Short Hills Mall, Madison Avenue shopping indoors with the same names and choices the retail mecca offers but under one roof. A short distance from NYC and a great alternative for a value stay. Vast array of transportation can be arranged through the concierge desk varying from public transport, taxi or private car to the city. It caters and delivers to the business or casual traveler alike.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the woodlands have a pleasant view and a great light
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SalazarB
mserban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate all our guests' feedback. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay overall with us! I will be sharing your great comments with our entire staff. I thank you for your kind words and hope to have you stay with us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Thia is my third time staying here. It is one of the nicest Hilton's I have stayed it. It is very clean. Quiet and comfortable. Great beds. Easy parking. Friendly and informed concierge. Mostly business people staying here, thus they maintain high standards. I stay here when I visit my daughter at Seton Hall. Easy drive to and from.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you so much for the great feedback from your most recent stay. I was delighted to read that you were well looked after by our concierge and the rest of the team. It is so nice to hear from loyal guests such as yourselves, as we value your feedback tremendously.

I am glad that we are able to make your visits to Nj comfortable and look forward to welcoming you all back in the very near future.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The staff of this hotel truly understands the concept of service - an old-fashioned idea that is sorely missing in many hotels. But not here.
From the moment we pulled up to the porte cochere of this very well-run property and were warmly greeted by a member of the bell staff to the time we left the next morning, remarkably each and every employee of the Hilton Short Hills made us feel welcome and comfortable. And this is despite the fact there were three or four large weddings happening on the property on that Saturday when we arrived.
The lobby is lovely and even though this is a rather large hotel, it has the feel of a smaller, boutique property. There is a relaxed yet elegant, hushed feeling about the property. It did not at all seem like there were literally hundreds and hundreds of people sharing the hotel with us.
We were upgraded to a room on the concierge level which was very clean and well appointed with a flat screen TV, very comfortable bed (with high thread count linens which actually fit the king sized mattress instead of the annoying, cheap short-sheet trick a lot of hotels play by putting flat, wrongly sized sheets on beds instead of property fitted sheets) and marble bathroom. The air conditioning worked great and was not noisy - a very important thing for me when I travel.
The concierge floor offered a lounge where late afternoon cocktails (for a small charge) and complimentary hor d'oeuvres were offered, which was a very nice treat since we were a little hungry after a long drive to get there and it was well before dinnertime. We were invited back for complimentary dessert later in the evening which was also well presented and very good, with coffees and teas etc. They also offered a continental breakfast there in the a.m. which was also tasty and served as a perfect send-off to the busy day we had ahead of us after we checked out. The lounge also offered free use of its PC and internet service should you leave your laptop home.
The property is located across the street (actually a very busy pedestrian-unfriendly highway with overpasses and underpasses and no crosswalks) from the Short Hills Mall and the hotel provides a free shuttle service to and from the shopping center for guests. They took us over in a shuttle van, but when we called for a pick-up to return to hotel (the driver gave us his card and said call back whenever we were ready) we were quickly picked up by the same driver - but this time in a town-car which was nice because there was a massive rainstorm happening and this made it easy to get in and out of the vehicle and avoid the deluge.
Even though we were there on business, I felt like I was on vacation - and I didn't want to leave. I can't wait to return. I think next time I'll indulge in the spa - which we saw but did not use. My thanks to the staff for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Our room on the Concierge Level was very nice and the concierge lounge is a very nice ammenity.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review. I am so pleased to read that you were able to enjoy the service and amenities that we work very hard to deliver. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any future assistance.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was in NJ for medical training and spent two nights at the Hilton Short Hills. They advertise the hotel as a "non-smoking hotel". When I first walked into my room on the third floor, the room smelled like cigarette smoke. I called the front desk and told them of the smell- immediately they told me that it was not possible but that they would gladly move me to another room. The next night I stayed in the new room and again smelled cigarette smoke, this time much much stronger. I ordered room service that night and even the staff member told me it did smell like cigarette smoke. I called the front desk and informed them-I immediately received a call from their respective department about the smell. The guy tried to convince me that the smell was related to turning on the heater (mind you that it's Sept/Oct. and my temp is at 67). Once I explained to him that it was very irritating to my lungs - he told me that there was nothing that could be done until the next day (relating to ionizing the room). The handling of the situation was very poor and for the quality of the Hilton, I was disappointed in their response. To be fair, they did offer me a free breakfast, which I did not take. Needless to stay, I will not be staying at this hotel or any Hilton chains.

2  Thank AugustMN

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of our hotel. I sincerely apologize that we were not able to provide you with a comfortable night's rest. I am very concerned regarding the service levels you received from our front desk staff. As you can imagine, that is not the performance expectation we have and I am very disappointed. I will be sharing this review with the entire staff during our training sessions, to show how lack of concern for our guest's comfort can ruin someone's entire opinion of the hotel. If you would like to contact me at the hotel to discuss further, simply call the main line and ask for me by name. I would like the chance to make this right for you.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spent two nights at this property with family for a wedding - very impressive. Walking into the lobby there is the feel of a more upscale property. Cookies and flavored water available in the lobby as well as coffee and tea in the morning. Rooms are large, comfortable with very nice bathrooms. Suites on the concierge floor are HUGE. There is a lovely indoor pool attached to their spa which is promoted to the locals - kids may only use the pool from 7-9am in order to maintain a sense of serenity. There is an outdoor pool for the summer season. The fitness center is much more than just a room - multiple machines, tv's etc. The service is probably what impressed me the most and lends an air of Hyattness to this Hilton. Finally, for shoppers, the Short Hills Mall, (very upscale with Bloomies, Saks, etc.), is right actross the street. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade ( you may get a suite!).
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
mserban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thank you so much for a such a wonderful review! It is so nice to read that you were able to take advantage of so many of our amenities. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great hotel with lovely rooms. Good bar with selection of sports showing, great food. Service in the bar was awful - waitress couldn't remember drinks orders, got them wrong regularly and took forever with any drinks (even coke so they weren't challenging). Wasn't too busy so just bad staff.
The food when it arrived was great for the price.
Reception area mobbed in the mornings due to the many conferences that take place here, just a bit disconcerting when you aren't expecting it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay overall, however I am very concerned regarding the service levels you received in the bar. As you can imagine, that is not the level of service that we expect of our staff. I will be sharing this review with the entire server staff during our training sessions. However, if you would like to contact me at the hotel to discuss further, simply call the main line and ask for me by name. I do hope that this experience has not marred your impression of our service and I hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed there for a wedding a short time ago and had a great experience. The room was excellent and the staff was great, arranging adjoining rooms for family, having portable cribs ready for the children, and delivering/picking up room service very quickly. There was a small issue with our A/C unit which was fixed promptly with a free movie offered. They were also great with directions, food recommendations, and parking assistance.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your great review! I am glad that our staff made your weekend away an enjoyable one. I hope that you think of us again for your next trip to NJ and we see you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Short Hills
#2 of 5 in Morristown
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!