“Thank heavens for good coffee in the lobby”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Short Hills

Hilton Short Hills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
New York City, New York
“Thank heavens for good coffee in the lobby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed here as temporary living while moving.

Connecting rooms with king bed for parents and double queens arranged as requested. Not a particularly welcoming front desk experience - but let's face it, you are in NJ.

The rooms are good US hotel standard. Regrettably, they try to save money by giving you only the soap and shampoo of the new Thomas Roth series but not the fresh shower gel, which I happen to like very much. Is the savings really worth the disappointment of your loyal customers? Or is loyal in your book only Gold status and up?

Biggest problem with this stay and another symptom of cutting it cheap on your guests: the rooms have no minibar BUT a hardly refrigerating refrigerator. Having that thing, which is mostly a pretty useless source of noise in the room apparently invites some of the hotel's patrons to deposit their carry out food leftovers in there, which - considering the fact that it's barely cooling and that nobody is checking it daily - leads to the leftovers turning into a toxic monstrosity of biodegradation with a smell not otherwise encountered outside of forensic morgues. There are no decent words to describe what hit our nose when opening that fridge in the hope for a cool beverage. Adding insult to injury it took THREE rounds (two calls and one in person call to the front desk) before anybody attended to this and there was no verbal or other gesture of apology. The way this was handled was a total breakdown of service.

The positives: the outdoor pool is nice, the free coffee in the lobby is good and fresh and there is plenty of it, the rental car desk and the chauffeur desk in the hotel come in very handy and parking is free. The business center had everything I was looking for. Very pleasantly, the rooms have quiet, well functioning AC systems and not the typical under window rattle and hum contraptions that you so often find in the US. Thus, sleep quality was good.

The not so positives:
No restaurant service on Sunday evening and the bar food menu is quite limited - but the bar food we had was excellent for bar food and the server was lovely!

Couldn't figure out the breakfast hours - on Sunday they were open before 7, on Monday they opened after 7, on Tuesday they opened at 6 - so what is it?

The breakfast food was good but breakfast is quite expensive and I am sorry to say: while concierge and bar wait staff were very nice and caring, the breakfast staff was less than convincing. It always seemed like they were going to the back drawing straws about who would be bothered to go out and serve those bloody patrons next. Usually I am a committed "always over-tip your breakfast waitress" believer, but considering the price of the buffet, the fact that you have to get everything but beverages yourself, and the fact that even that isn't coming at a desirable pace, I believe that the 18% mandatory tip that's added to parties of six or more is a total train robbery. There is absolutely nothing in terms of service provided by these people that would justify making 20 bucks in half an hour on one party of six.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
AmberDubiny, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay with our property. I am pleased to read the you enjoyed your stay overall with us. As a Hilton guest, we truly appreciate your feedback.

I did want to apologize for the inconvenience that occurred with the fridge inside your guest room. I understand what an annoyance this must have been and I hope that the lack of service you received regarding this issue did not mar your entire stay with us.

I thank you for informing us about your recent stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've stayed here several times on business trips to the home offices, and it's the best place to stay in the Summit-Millburn area. It's well-maintained and the rooms are updated. Plus it's across from the Short Hills Mall which has good restaurants and shopping galore.

The rooms are set up for business guests - wi-fi (for $10 - a ripoff, because it should be free), a large desk with a rollout for a computer, lots of outlets everywhere and just enough space in a king bed room. A nice touch is the terrycloth robe in the closet. The room comes with a mini-fridge to keep your drinks cold.

I'm a picky traveler but I've never had a problem at the Short Hills Hilton - and that's saying a lot. You can get a good night's sleep because there's no traffic noise and the curtains totally block outside light. There's a choice of multiple pillows so you can pick the one that's just right for you.

There are two restaurants, both of which were good. The night I got in it was late and I got a burger and onion rings at the bar. There's a great young bartender you can yak with when he's not busy. There's also a fancy restaurant which makes a terrific breakfast.

You can park in the weatherproof underground lot at no extra charge. I got the company's corporate rate of $224/night, which totaled up to $258 with taxes. There is no resort fee.

Room Tip: For a decent sized room get the King bed room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for posting about your experience as a guest of ours. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

I have passed along your great comments concerning the multitude of topics you mentioned, and thank you for taking the time to inform us about your stay.

WashingtonDC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Hilton Short Hills is a perfect spot for a weekend away. Amazing spa, indoor and outdoor pools, walk to shopping.

Amazing and friendly staff like Nick at Concierge who went above and beyond for any request we had.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for your great post on TripAdvisor. We are very appreciative of your comments, especially concerning one of our team members.

I am pleased to read that you had the opportunity to experience the Mall at Short Hills. It is truly a great asset being so close for all of our guests to enjoy.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I stay at this hotel frequently and the service is excellent. The hotel facilities are excellent with an indoor an outdoor pool and a full service spa and exercise facility. The executive lounge is also very good. Overall this hotel is probably the best hotel in New jersey. The rooms are good sized and the furnishings are high quality. The rooms are always very clean. Unfortunately, the rooms are beginning to show their age and could be updated. Especially the chinois flower covered sofas and chairs. Similarily, This hotel was probably one of the first hiltons to have flat screen Televisions but they are now sadly old technology. Another area for improvement is the food. The food is not bad but it is not up to the standards of a Top hotel and not a good value for the prices that the hotel charges. I often feel like the food in the executive lounge is leftover meeting food or from a weekend wedding. Room service is fast but inconsistent in quality especially painful given its higher priced menu when compared to other New Jersey Hilton's. The food at the pool is poor. I got a tuna sandwich for fourteen dollars that had about three ounces of tuna on white bread. The Restaraunts breakfast buffet has an excellent selection but the hot items are seldom very hot and need work. The buffet would benefit greatly from a chef's station like the kind you find at every Hilton garden inn and at the Woodbridge Hilton. In summary this is a very good hotel and if they would
Fix the food quality, update the televisions, and refurbish the soft furnishings in the rooms this hotel would be five stars.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for posting about your experience at our property. We thank you for providing us with detailed feedback so that we may take your points into account. I have passed along your great comments and observations to our executive committee for further review.

We thank you for taking the time to relay your experience on Trip Advisor, and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I arrived on a Friday morning well before regular check in. There was some serious construction going on and the jack hammer just resonated through my brain. However, two things happened that could have gone a completely different way. I requested a room as far away from the noise as possible and of course, an early check in. Instead of telling me I was too early to check in and I had no other options, they happily accommodated my wife and I immediately and there was not even the smallest vibration felt. A great front desk service started our trip off just perfect. Other hotels have made us wait a little as a half hour in order to just check in. The room was very clean and spacious. Two luggage racks, extra pillows and even a desk that pulled out to a very spacious work/storage space. Not to sound childish, but there was a controllable speaker in the bathroom for the the TV. Being that Wimbledon was on, we never missed a point. The next morning at breakfast, the staff could not have been nicer. We ordered the buffet and seemed to be able to order almost anything off the menu. Every staff member from the hostess to manager all seem to cover each others stations. This made it a very enjoyable start to the day. A short easy walk to the Mall and our weekend far exceeded expectations. There are always a few glitches big enough to change my review of this hotel. Enjoy your stay...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Josh R
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate all of your feedback. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay overall with us, and thank you for taking the time to relay your great comments.

I did happen to take mention to your comments concerning the construction currently taking place at our property, and I hope that the noise did not mar your entire stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the additional amenities that our hotel has to offer, and that you felt you received great service from our staff.

We appreciate you taking the time to post about your stay on TripAdvisor and hope to welcome you back in the near future after our construction is completed.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here for as a family on the concierge floor one weekend. It was nice but nothing special. The concierge floor probably wasn't worth the additional cost. Everything about the hotel was very nice but nothing was surprising or outstanding. No complaints but don't expect something outstanding.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for posting your reveiw concerning our property on TripAdvisor. I did take mention to your comments and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall with us.

I noticed that you said that your stay was just satisfactory, and I wanted to relay that we value all of our guests' opinions and strive to deliver excellent service. If there was a service failure you experienced or an issue with your stay, please feel free to make me aware as I would love to have the opportunity to rectify any issues that may have transpired.

We appreciate your feedback, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My girlfriends and I have stayed at the Hilton short hills a couple of times over the last few years for a spa/shop getaway and it never disappoints. Being a Hilton member, I've always used points to book our rooms so I can't comment as to how reasonable their rates are, but their spa services are easy to book, and average priced and the location across the street from short hills mall can't be beat. The hotel is very clean, rooms are traditionally furnished and beds are really comfortable.
One thing I might mention is my last trip found me there on a weekend while the packers were playing the giants and the hotel was overrun with players, coaches and groupies...this may be a pro or con depending on your preferences but add this to the 2 weddings the hotel was hosting and it was pretty crowded in the lobby, elevators and common spaces.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank PShui1378
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments and I am so delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit with us.

Being a Four Diamond property, we do tend to experience high occupancy rather frequently, so I hope that your stay wasn't marred by this experience.

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us about your stay, and hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Short Hills
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth
BEST WESTERN PLUS Murray Hill Hotel & Suites

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!