“Nice Hotel, Close to Mall”
Review of Hilton Short Hills

Hilton Short Hills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Short Hills
eclarkebu
“Nice Hotel, Close to Mall”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed here for our wedding weekend recently. The hotel is definitely one of the nicest hotels in Northern NJ. That said, it's not the Hilton it was when it first opened. I stayed here years ago and walked away feeling, "wow, that was grand." Not this time - you can tell they've let things slip a bit. However, facilities are still well maintained and the appointments are stately. Service is a bit hit or miss (ie asked for a room change because we were close to elevator, no one ever followed up, nor did my room change) - but really, for the price, nothing can top it. Definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
AmberDubiny, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you for posting about your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time out of your day to inform us about your experience, and we are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I have passed along your great feedback to our executive committee for further review. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, and thank you for providing us with your feedback,

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Stayed here on business and found this to be a very classy hotel in a great location. As far as the decor, service, and facilities, I would say this is on the higher end of the Hilton chain. It certainly has that business hotel vibe. I was upgraded to the club level - my room was large, very clean, and well-appointed.

I had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. I thought all of the employees were friendly - the gym is also nice.

All in all, this is a very well run hotel in a great location - wish I would have had time to check out the mall across the street!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
AmberDubiny, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for posting your feedback concerning our hotel on TripAdvisor, we greatly appreciate you taking the time out of your day to inform us about your stay.

I did happen to take mention to your comments concerning our staff, service and condition of our property and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall with us. We strive to deliver world class service to all of our guests, and I am glad that you felt genuinely cared for by our team.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

France
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I recently stayed 3 nights at the Hilton, taking advantage of a group rate for a wedding. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. My standard room and bathroom were spacious and luxurious. The hotel is a huge operation, with everything you could possibly need. It is overall immaculate and although upscale, manages a relaxed feel.

The staff were all very efficient and helpful. Nick the concierge was particularly attentive. He asked me if I was from out of state, and when I said I lived in Europe, he made sure I had a guest card for the Short Hills Mall across the street. At the mall's customer service desk, they gave me a nice light-weight travel bag and a coupon brochure that saved me at least $50 on my one-day purchases. This mall makes it worth considering the Hilton as a hotel choice when flying in or out of Newark. The hotel offers shuttle service to the airport for a very resonable $25.

The staff are obviously practiced at handling wedding parties and other large groups and go out of their way to make your stay easy and enjoyable. My three-day visit was a pleasurable unexpected surprise after a stay in New York City. It finished off my trip perfectly. I hope to have the opportunity to return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for posting your review concerning our hotel on Trip Advisor, we appreciate and value your feedback.

I was pleased to read that you were able to experience all the amenities our hotel has to offer as well as the world class service provided by our team members. I thank you for your generous comments, and will ensure that your feedback is passed along to the appropriate management.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Dublin
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The good:
Service is excellent, food in the bar was wonderful (didn't eat in restaurant) and the pool/gym facilities are top class.

The ordinary:
I found the room a little dated, small and without that Hilton-sheen that this hotel, which locals say is the best Hilton around, should have.

Nothing bad (ok - the price at $269 per night plus taxes was pretty jaw-dropping....)

Location-wise - it was a work trip so was close to where I needed to be - but as a casual traveller I could imagine that the local mall across the street would be great (it's pretty upmarket! with good food options too) and there are a variety of outdoor options also (golf courses etc.) It is a distance from the airport but you are close to the NJ Transit if you want to venture up to Manhattan (only about 45 mins to Penn Station)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for posting about your recent stay on Trip Advisor, we value all of our guests' feedback. I am happy to read that you were satisfied with your time as a guest of ours and will be sure to pass along your feedback to our staff. I did take mention to your specific comments concerning the overall feel and decor of the hotel, and I wanted to relay that we will be undergoing renovations within the near future and plan to update our guest rooms as well as some of our public space. As you can see with our recent spa renovation, a more modern look is the long term plan for the entire hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall with us, and i hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Cupertino, CA
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We recently stayed in a Queen Junior Suite at the Short Hills Hilton. The room was very spacious (1.5 baths) and had a pull-out sofa in addition to the two queen beds. This was perfect for our family. The beds, shower, towels were all great, and they gave us a couple bottles of water in the room each day (and chocolates at night). My daughter and I like to run; they have a map with a four mile and a six mile loop. The four mile course goes through a nice neighborhood in Short Hills. There's also a big reservoir behind the hotel that we ran around one day. That was very pretty, but it was locked the other day (so I dont know if it's ok to run there). The parking garage is underneath the hotel, and there's free parking (and an entrance to the hotel at that level); it was more convenient than the $20/day valet. One strange thing was that the pool only allowed children under sixteen from 6:30-9:00pm daily. It's part of the spa, and not really intended to be a family pool. That was disappointing, but it was really a pretty pool. The Short Hills mall is a quick 5min walk, and they have a Starbucks and an Au Bon Pan bakery that are open in the morning (even on weekends when the mall is closed). We really enjoyed staying at the Short Hills Hilton and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for posting about your experience as a guest of ours on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time to inform us about your stay.

I was pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your accommodations, and that you were able to explore the surrounding areas of our location. The Mall at Short Hills is such a great amenity that is so close to our hotel, and I am glad to see that you had the opportunity to experience all it has to offer.

I appreciate you providing us feedback, and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

New Jersey
Reviewed March 29, 2012

What a great hotel this is. Don't be put off from the look of it, it looks like a big brown brick! but once inside its quiet, friendly, updated. The hotel room (I stayed in a suite) was very roomy, king size bed, two bathrooms, three closets, wet bar, two tvs, two chairs with foot stools in the bedroom, and then in the lounge area (seperated by french doors) one sofa and two easy chairs, along with a desk. Also another fridge besides the wetbar area. The bedroom overlooked woodland area and was very peaceful.

The breakfast was buffet style or off the menu. I choose buffet which was tasty fresh, consisiting of cereal, fresh cut bread,(to toast) bagels etc. Fresh fruit, salmon, cream cheese, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes. The staff were friendly and went out of there way to make you welcome and to serve you.

The hotel is clean and well staffed, there is valet service which is quick!

They now offer afternoon tea at this venue mon-fri although I didn't get chance to try it.

The location is great if you are a shopper or have just come from Newark airport(its around a 20 min drive from airport)

The concierge was great at recomending resturants and went that extra mile to help.

There are also the normal chain resturants in the mall just opposite this hotel.(and great shopping too!)

Booking process was smooth as I booked thru Hilton.com

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
AmberDubiny, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your recent stay at our hotel on TripAdvisor. From your feedback, I can see that you were able to experience all of the great amenities that our hotel has to offer.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations and that our staff provided you with exemplary service while you were a guest of ours. We strive to make every guest feel valued and appreciated for their business.

I thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor and I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Indiana
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I had an aggravating experience trying to bill at room at this lovely hotel. It turns out I had to reach a supervisor before Hotels.com would even match the price that the Hilton had online. (The explanation was that the Hilton's best fee required a non-refundable advance payment, but so did Hotel.com, so I argued that the price match should apply) Eventually, Hotel.com did match the fee exactly (after 45 minutes on the phone) but would not give me a better rate. Since I get Hilton Honor Points when I book directly through the Hilton, there was absolutely no advantage to Hotels.com.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AOesq
AmberDubiny, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Short Hills, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that we were able to assist you with obtaining the best available rate for your visit to our hotel.

I hope that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. I appreciate you taking the time to inform us about your recent visit, and thank you for the wonderful feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Short Hills
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth
The Westin Jersey City Newport

Been to Hilton Short Hills? Share your experiences!