“Bad Food And Worse....”
Review of Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Short Hills
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: JFK Parkway
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods – really fresh fish. Our restaurant is located inside The Mall at Short Hills on the lower level. You may choose to beach yourself in our dining room or at our bar. Either way, we’ll think you walk on water - be sure to see our aquarium of koi fish built into the floor. Legal Sea Foods has long proven that a consistent, high quality dining experience never goes out of style. With over 40 varieties of fresh fish and shellfish available throughout the year as well as an award-winning wine list, there’s no doubt why legions of fans have fallen hook, line and sinker. We’ve received a boatload of accolades including the honor of serving our legendary New England Clam Chowder at every presidential inauguration since 1981.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Thought I'd treat my son to a nice lunch while shopping. We both ordered fish and chips - thought that was a simple enough dish for a chain restaurant to handle. Wrong! Fish was way overcooked and dry. Also, bland to the point of disgusting. Chips were soggy fries.

We ordered a glass of Sancerre each to go with this glop. Instead of the familiar taste of a nice Sauvignon Blanc form the Loire, I was greeted with the flavor of a distinctly New Zeeland SB. I suppose they could successfully make this switch on a lot of their customers but when I mentioned it to the waiter he insisted it was the Sancerre I ordered (and paid for) and he had seen it poured. Even if I had been wrong, is this the way they are trained to deal with customers. I told him it was no big deal and paid the $89 dollar tab (we also had a cup each of the bisque). We will not be back. If they are indeed switching wines it is illegal in NJ - they may have to add the letters ILL to the beginning of their name.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I loved Legal Sea Foods, it has great taste and food, I would recommend going there maybe on a Sunday night and have a nice walk around the Short Hills Mall before having dinner at Legal Sea Foods, the waitors are amazing and all very nice and I had a very nice enjoyable time and I request that you do too.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our server Pree was the best! She is very customer service oriented! She answered all of my questions and made our meal most enjoyable.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I came here with my friend for a birthday celebration. I enjoyed the food here. We had half a dozen of Maine raw oysters. It was delicious but I do want to say that the variance in size is somewhat on the large side. We were served with some really fat, juicy oysters and some skinny ones. For entree, I had the flounder with lemon butter. I was a bit concerned about calories and wanted to eat healthy and the waitress professionally suggested that I had the butter on the side. I was very happy with the suggestion. I tried dipping the flounder in the butter and realized that it was not really my taste, but eating the entree without the butter sauce makes it more pleasant for me (and healthy too)! The side contains jasmine rice and sauteed spinach. A bit of salt makes the whole dish extremely enjoyable for me.
My friend had Salmon with blueberry. The salmon was cooked superbly -- not overcooked to extend of being dry -- but retained the juice and softness. The blueberry was a bit tart for my taste but I am sure that you can ask to have the blueberry on the side too.
The whole presentation and experience was very pleasant. The restaurant does smell like the ocean (in a good way) because of the type of food it serves. We were served warm towel with lemon after our raw oyster appetizer. Very thoughtful. I would go back again. The price they asked for is fair given the quality and quantity of food you get. It was just right.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Other than good service and a refreshing Mai Tai, there is nothing to recommend about this place. Unseasoned, milky-thin lobster bisque.... Overcooked, dry seared tuna. Cramped space with tables literally inches from the next. Not worth the $95 for two or anywhere close to it.