“Nice hotel, If you get the right room...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ship Bottom
Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ship Bottom
New Jersey
“Nice hotel, If you get the right room...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

Just returned from a wedding at LBI and had an opportunity to see all the different rooms at this hotel. The drifting sands hotel is located right as you drive onto the island, so for convenience in getting on/off the island it’s great. There are 4 buildings that make up the complex, the front building facing the street and the side building where the office is located have both been updated recently. The rooms are very clean and neat, and some of the bigger suite rooms include a Jacuzzi tub. The views of the beach are also very nice.

The back building and side building across the street have not been updated yet. We stayed in a 2-room efficiency, in the back building. The room was very clean when we got there and was cleaned every day by house keeping. However, the room had not been updated and was showing its age. But for a quick weekend trip to the beach, it really wasn't that bad. I have stayed in a lot worse. I believe most of the rooms include a refrigerator; ours included an almost full size fridge with stovetop, plates, cups, pots and pans.

The hotel is located within walking distance to several restaurants, liquor store and is located right next to the CVS and 7/11. There is also a security guard that walks around the parking lot at night. If they update the rest of the rooms this year, the whole hotel would be very nice.

I would stay in this hotel again, but in a newer room.

• Liked — The location to the beach and restaurants.
  • Disliked — The out dated rooms.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HighFlyerNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Palmyra, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

Here is the actual email I sent to the hotel after my stay, with no response at all from the hotel...I can now say that I should have listened to the negative comments listed on TripAdvisor.com. We stayed there on Saturdya night, September 22, 2007 and have never stayed in a worse room. As a matter of fact, I have stayed in MUCH better Motel 6's for $35.00 a night.

Lets start witht he musty, moldy smell in the room, that finally was found coming from the bedding. We brought pillows with us, and now they smell like it as well. Not to mention the stains on the sheets, and the bedspread. Next the overall appearance of the room. Holes in the walls, items that were removed from the walls, and no one bothered to paint the spots. Then comes the horrible noise coming form the shower. You advertised that there was a coffee maker in each room, there was none in ours, so we had to go to 7/11 to buy coffee, that was supposed to be free. Which that is not hard to believe since there were NO "homey" touches. No pictures on the walls, not even any curtains to help block light. We used one of the bedspreads over the front door, which was extremely hard to open. And finally the worst part, the people above us. They stomped back and forth across the ceiling until after 11:00 Saturday night, and then started again before 6:00 on Sunday morning. We tried to check out early on Sunday morning, but the office only openned at 8:00 am(!?!). The front office had closed at 10 or 11 pm. A full hotel with no one there. I have never heard of such a thing. I did not bother to call the "emergency" phone number, as none of these things were indeed emergencies, but made for a horrible stay. I did however mention something to the girl when we were checking out, and was told "I'll let them know". Not very good customer service.

Your motto is " the best kept secret...", and I now know why. It not because its a secret, it's because of the horrible conditions. I will NOT be back there, but will come back to the island.

• Liked — 1st floor room
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mswench1227
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding after Labor Day Weekend. When we first arrived to check in we were very impressed with the building. It looked so new and it's so close to the beach. Then we discovered where our room was. It was the old building across the street. The room was extremely dark and tiny. The bathroom was really small and dirty. Wiring looked really dangerous and there were 4 electric cords plugged into one extension cord that was lying in between the two beds. No iron in my room so I was quite annoyed b/c I actually needed something ironed. Beds were extremely uncomfortable. We actually put a chair in front of our door when we went to sleep b/c we were on the ground floor and there is no deadbolt nor a chain. Just a button on the knob to push in to lock it.

Pros:
-refrigerator in room (actually worked too well, my bottle of water froze over night)
-location to beach

If you are going to stay at this motel make sure it's at the renovated building unless you don't mind the above mentioned (or you plan on living your old college spring break days and pack in 6 people). Not worth the money we spent.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Room itself
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank yellowfad
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

Our family stayed at the old part of the motel as it was cheaper and we've stayed there other years, before the new ocean-front buildings were built. (We stayed in a two-bed room) Maid service was great and it's in a perfect spot- it's a very short walk from the beach, and a 7-11 and CVS are literally right next door. There's also a lot of restaurants and shops within walking distance. We stayed for basically the weekend, getting there mid-afternoon Friday and leaving early Sunday. The downside: the rooms are very small. As in can't-open-the-bathroom-door-and-entrance-door-at-the-same-time small. However this is the old part of the motel so I'm sure the new ones are a lot better. it has good lighting/decor, very clean, and a fridge so that was nice. And it's on an excellent location! I would highly recommend this motel for someone seeking a nice stay on Long Beach Island.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — It's small, and no pets are allowed
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jess15
Red Bank, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

Stayed at the Drifting Sands for a few days during the week to take advantage of their "mid-week special." If you are looking for a relatively quiet place this is it. In the Ocean Front building the rooms were well-kept with private balconies, although the first floor rooms may have a somewhat obstructed ocean view due to the dunes. My only gripe is that they did not allow me a late checkout. Although this is an understandable general policy I felt I could have been accomodated as the motel was virtually empty. This slid them down from a B+ to a C

• Liked — Proximity to beach
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank illtimothy
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2006

We stayed in the new ocean front building. It was wonderful! Very clean, great location, quiet, with a fantastic view and private balcony. The room size was generous, staff were helpful, parking was convenient (reserved space for each room), and there was a nice continental breakfast. The hotel is located just across the bridge when you drive onto LBI, but is off of the main drag so there is minimal road noise. The only downsides were: no pool, and you must request a bathtub if needed. I would definately return here again!

• Stayed June 2006
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach

Been to Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel? Share your experiences!