All reviewsocean frontoceanfront roomroom was cleanfirst floornice balconyassigned parkingcorner roomlong beach islandfront desk staffoff seasonwet barconvenient locationthe jersey shoreocean view buildingfavorite spotcoffee makerking bed
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We recently stayed at the Drifting Sands while in town for a friends wedding. We stayed in the "efficiency" building across the street b/c the ocean front rooms were $100 more- so we thought we would save a bit of money. Well, based on the reviews, I'd probably recommend spending the extra money if you can to stay in the other building.
Our room was clean but it could have used a few things: an iron, a hair dryer, blinds on the window so we could actually move the drapes and get some sunlight without worrying about people walking by or looking into the room. Also, the walls are thin- we could hear our neighbors at night- not terrible, but the walls are a bit thin. The beds were fine. But the room was nothing special. Bare bones motel room.
What I will say is that it is a great location- right on the beach and within walking distance to restaurants and shops.
i guess if I was in the area I might stay here again- but only if I could swing the extra $$ to stay in the ocean front rooms since our room in the other building was not so great- or rather, great if you are paying what you would THINK you would pay to stay in a motel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My husband and I always spend Valentines Weekend at this hotel. Long Beach Island is where we actually fell in love. It was our 3rd date, sitting on the benches at the lighthouse, looking over the water. We sat there with our arms wrapped around each other, enjoying the view. The next thing we knew, the security guard woke us up because he was preparing to lock the gates and noticed a car still left in the lot. If he didn't come back into the park we would have been locked up all night...lol. We go back to the most romantic place we know, on the most romantic holiday and spend it at the beach. Long beach island is beautiful when it snows. The hotel is the cleanest, best priced hotel on the island. We have brought our daughter, and her friends with us. We have brought other friends with us so they can experience the Beach snow. We have tried each type of room they have, but our favorite room is the OceanFront Suite. The bathtub is big enought for 2 and you can see the ocean from the tub.

The employees are so helpful, especially Karen, we just love her. We have spent every Valentines weekend there, since we have been together and plan on spending every one after that.

We have never had a bad experience there. We are avid travlers, and sometimes we just run off for romantic dates at the spur of the moment. We have stayed at every type and brand name hotel and we can honestly say, it is Our favorite place on earth.

The view of the ocean is spectacular from the Ocean Front. The Ocean View rooms are also beautiful, each room faces the ocean from their private sitting deck.

I really thought long and hard about writing this review because it is our diamond in the Winter and didn't want others to grab our room. We make it a point to head to LBI in November to book our stay.

I guess the only thing I can say bad about the hotel is that the Ocean Front does not have an elevator. Trust me when I say, we make full use of the room while we are there and we don't have too much need to leave frequently. I've learned to pack lighter. We love this place.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oliandstanley
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We are long time LBI'ers usually renting houses for several weeks. This summer, with kids at camp and summer jobs etc, we missed the place but could only squeeze out a few days. We chose the Drifting Sands because i remembered watching the renovations and thought it looked great. I was right! The rooms in the ocean view room were awesome. HUGE and clean and comfy. We had adjoining rooms because we were with extended family. One room had a king bed and the bathroom had a jacuzzi tub. Our room had two queens (maybe doubles dont recall!) and a standard bathroom. Beds were great and maid service kept everything spotless. There is internet and we had trouble getting it wirelessly. NO PROBLEM though because the office had cables! The beach was uncrowded and clean. We were in the perfect location to drive either north or south to explore all the great things LBI has to offer.
We booked some special deal they offered where if you stayed 2 nights you got a third free and it was PERFECT.
Great people at the front desk too!
Go and enjoy all this place has to offer!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank 4goingawayagain
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Drifting Sands is a very nice motel on LBI. There are 3 bldgs: A 3 story oceanfront bldg with no elevator; a 2 story oceanview bldg with elevator and an efficiency unit bldg with no water views. We stayed in the oceanview which was perfectly lovely except for a dirty blanket. The room was large and had a great balcony for a water view. It contained a flat screen TV, kitchen with sink, coffee maker, micro and mini fridge. I would stay there again but be sure to check the blankets the next time :)

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Iseult23
Reviewed October 23, 2010

This motel was recommended by a friend who stays in the oceanfront room with her husband. We booked late and wanted at least 2 bedrooms since we travel with kids. So we booked in the efficiency. It was very clean with comfortable beds. The bathroom was very clean and the kitchen was just fine. The layout of the room maximized the useful space. TVs in the main room and bedroom and a little balcony. Balcony great for stashing damp towels and beach toys. There was a faintly musty smell which you will get in beach places. There was brand new carpet. 7-11 is next to the efficiency block which was great for morning coffee. Easy access to beach. Bring your own chairs - I thought the rental was a bit steep unless you are only staying for 1 day. We paid $160/night weekday and $185 weekend the week after labor day when prices went down. A real bargain. We'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family