“Best place to stay on LBI” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Islander Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ship Bottom
The Islander Motel
You added The Islander Motel to your Saves list
1202 Central Avenue, Ship Bottom, Long Beach Island, NJ   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ship Bottom
“Best place to stay on LBI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is my favorite place to stay when we go to LBI (Ship Bottom), Joe the Manager is a very nice guy, easy to talk to. Rooms are good size, clean, very accommodating, some rooms are efficiencies so it's great for a long stay. I have had to stay at other hotels when I could not get a room there and I can tell you I have been disappointed everytime. I actually shouldn't be writing such a complimentary review because now i'll never get a room. There was another great place, The Sandpiper, right near the Islander but it got sold and the developer tore it down and put up four houses. I hope the Islander never gets sold that would be a shame.

Room Tip: Depends are your likes and dislikes, they have efficiencies and the ones that are not efficencies st...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Wartfang

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This was my first vacation to LBI & it was a last minute one. Fortunately for me, The Islander had a cancellation for the night we wanted to stay at the beach. I was somewhat concerned about what a "beach motel" might be like, but was very happy with the accomodations here. The rooms were clean - no mold in the bathrooms or strange clumps of hair. Towels were soft & stain free. Overall decor was inexpensive but not outdated. The owner was quite possibly the nicest person I've ever encountered. The window a/c unit was noisy (to be expected) but kept the room cool. The noise didn't bother us since we sleep with a white noise machine anyways, but beware if you are sensitive to noise. Having a fridge in the room was convenient allowing us to bring our own bottled water/milk & breakfast for the family. The hotel was quiet in general and other hotel guests that we encountered were friendly. Easy walk to the beach. You do have to cross the boulevard but there is a traffic light one block to either the north or south making it safer to cross. The beach we walked to in Ship Bottom was much quieter than the beach we drove to in Beach Haven. If you want luxury accomodations, then pay the extra for a B&B. If you want a value hotel that provides all the basic necessities, I highly recommend the Islander and would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank PA_Hoppers
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I admit - I was slightly worried about what to expect from a beach motel. But we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are big, very clean, with all amenities that you need. The owner is very friendly - you instantly feel safe and welcome once you arrive.

It's easy to get to once on the island, plus 2 blocks from the beach, and within walking distance to many different restaurants.

Would definitely stay here again when visiting LBI.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank shanna_q_leonard
Matamoras, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

A very clean, small motel with a friendly owner. Perfect! If you're looking for a pool or fitness room, this isn't for you. But if you're looking for a great value, consider this motel. We had absolutely no problems and were very pleased.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KLC47
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Close to the beach, very clean room, wonderful host. We came back like a week ago and we plan to go again in august. Thank you Islander

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank emanda1964
Oneonta, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

This is now one of my favorite places to stay on the Island. You have easy access to the bridge, and are walking distance to convenience stores, restaurants, and most importangly Joe Pops (go see the Nerds every Wednesday). The only drawbacks are that you have to cross the boulevard to get to the ocean and it is a bit of a drive to the attractions in Beach Haven (which is good actually if you are over 16). The place is very reasonably priced, extremely clean, and the owner Joe may be the nicest guy I have ever met (a lot of these seasonal motel owners can be miserable individuals so it was a pleasant surprise). I even had a kitchenette allowing me to save money and cook some meals in the room. Again, I highly recommend staying at the Islander Motel in Ship Bottom, and say hi to Joe.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BC1199
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Truly a hidden gem in a quiet NJ beach town. I found this motel on line based on the one review from Tripadvisor.com and reached out to the owner. A prompt return call, and I was able to book the weekend I had selected. Upon arrival the motel was exactly as pictured on line. Joe Clarke was expecting us and check in was a breeze. Our room was exactly as we had discussed during the reservation and was even cuter in person. The room was cool on a hot summer day with a window a/c unit and beautifully appointed with simple bedding. We had the use of a good sized fridge and a coffee maker. The bathroom was clean, mold free and everything worked perfectly. Towels were plush and not wreaking of bleach and there was always plenty of soap and shampoo. There is an ice vendor and beverage machine available 24 hours and an open out door shower is available should one need to wash sand off before heading into the room.
It was a wonderful three night stay less than 2 blocks walk to the beach and in close proximity to everything from bagels to rental bikes and seafood in between. We really didnt want to leave.
Joe and his wife are wonderful people willing to go the extra mile to service their guests and offer suggestions for anything and everything. They are around daily and present on the property.
Even if we didnt have great weather (but it was sunny all three days) the stay would have been just as nice and comfortable in this sweet motel with wonderful rates even in season.
I highly recommend a stay if you are planning to be in the area or looking for a relaxing quiet get away to the sugar sandy beaches (yes they exist) of NJ.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
4.0 of 5 stars 53 reviews

Been to The Islander Motel? Share your experiences!