“Kincaid House Hotel”

Kincaid House Hotel
Ieper (Ypres), Belgium
“Kincaid House Hotel”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

My wife and I, along with my daughter and her family stayed in Kincaid House Hotel on Wednesday 30th April. I found the staff most helpful as we arrived very early as we were going to a funeral later that morning. Bedroom clean and bed comfortable. Lovely meal in the evening.
Much changed since it was the smoking/drinking establishment I knew as a youngster in the days when Kirkintilloch was a dry toon

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank John S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hartlepool
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The food in the bar was nice and the staff pleasant. Right thats out of the way then. The room was dirty, stained wallpaper, carpets mould and mildew in the bathroom but the best/worst bit was the actual state of the floor. Every time the guest in the room next door walked across the floor my bed dipped on one side by an inch or so, and very rapidly as if I was being tipped. very of putting!

I will not be stopping here again, awful nights sleep.

Room Tip: rooms in a different hotel better
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank chimpchoker
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This hotel is my local one and I have been dining and drinking there for more than 40 years. It has always been reliable for a night out and I have had many celebratory meals there over the years. Last night was one such occasion and my wife and i enjoyed an excellent meal in the Conservatory. The service was fast and friendly, nothing being too much for the staff.
The food was delicious. After a generous portion of starters, my sirloin steak was served just as I had specified and was as delicious as it looked. There was a good selection of vegetables and choice of sauces. My wife had her favourite dish there, smoked haddock, and she found it up to standard as always. The wine was a fair trade red at a very acceptable price and we finished with coffee and liqueurs watching the day fade over the walled garden.
My only complaint is that the hotel is no longer able to serve its fabled Jenny's Steak Pie, which was arguably the best in the country. EU dictats saw to its demise!
Another perfect meal in a perfect setting! Full marks Kincaid!

Room Tip: Living locally, I can only vouch for the food.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James S
Glasgow
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Dined in Stables bar Friday 7th March 2014. Waiter spilled a side portion of chips.He apologised, did not remove mess or replace so we had to dine on a chip strewn table. Did remove from bill but I had to ask for this. Was then overcharged by £10 on my bill. I had to point out mistake.Emailed manager to advise. His response was dreadful, making the matter personal and insulting me, also completely ignoring the overcharging issue with no offer to make good a poor dining experience. Never, ever again

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Paul F
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My wife,son and I had our Christmas dinner here. Excellent service, food was great.Makes a change from other places , the soup and coffee was lovely and hot. The main meal was A**.
The staff were very friendly and nice and were always helpful. If you are looking to eat out, this is the HOTEL to go to.

Hi-Life diners club member.
frank & Maureen.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This review is well overdue (by over 6 months) but well worth writing. I am in the fortunate position to be able to review Kincaid House as a restaurant, a hotel and a wedding venue.
We first discovered the hotel when searching for somewhere to get married. It was the first place we looked at and although we felt we should look at others, we never found anywhere else with the same balance of great customer service, amazing food, lovely surroundings and a very reasonable price for exclusive use. We fell in love with the conservatory and loved the fact we could have the ceremony there. It meant we could get married, in the surrounds of the garden but stay warm and dry if it rained (which it did).If I'm being honest, the only thing that put us off slightly, was the heavily patterned carpet in the main function room. As it happened this was pulled out the month before our wedding and replaced with gorgeous wooden flooring! The wedding coordinator, Amie, is fantastic. She never seemed to get bored of our questions and nothing ever seemed like too much trouble. It was no problem to get in special drinks and tailor a meal for those with a host of dietary requirements. The day itself went very smoothly and there are some great places for photos whether the weather is kind or not.

In terms of a hotel, our party filled up the nine bedrooms and all were very happy with them. The breakfast next morning was fantastic and freshly cooked to order. To anyone considering this as a wedding venue but looking for more bedrooms, there are other hotels nearby along with some great self catering accommodation. Be aware too, that a private taxi to Glasgow City Centre is only around £14. Not much, if it's shared between four people.

Now onto the restaurant. Since first discovering Kincaid House, we have eaten there on a number of occasions. You have the option of eating in the conservatory or the Stables Bar which is attached to the hotel. I believe the menu is the same for both. The menu has a great selection on it, including good veggie options, and the food is amazing. We can be quite critical when it comes to eating out but can honestly say we have never had a bad meal here. The conservatory is great for a nice relaxing lunch and quite romantic at night, especially when the fairy lights go on. The Stables is great for the same quality of food but in a more relaxed bar environment. All at a very reasonable price, considering the high quality of the food.

Now what I think makes this place really stand out, and the above would not be possible without, is the staff that work there. They really are a credit to the management; I don't think we have ever come across such consistent, good customer service. Every member of staff we have dealt with has been extremely polite and very helpful. They genuinely seem to want you to have the best possible experience without going over the top. A special mention has to go to Suzanne and Craig but everyone has been great.

This may sound strange, but discovering Kincaid House has been one of the great perks in getting married. We love the fact we can pop back there for a casual meal and it's always the first place we think of when planning something for a special family occasion. I may be going on a bit but I can thoroughly recommend Kincaid House as a restaurant, hotel and wedding venue. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fourleafclover1
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited Kincaid for a birthday lunch yesterday and our party of 12 were served in the conservatory ( we were the only ones in)
The waitress was helpful and very friendly.
The food was promptly served, hot and delicious .
Over the years we been here for weddings, anniversary parties, first communions and bar meals in the the pub at the back of the building (with its roaring fire!)
A nice local hotel(can't make a comment about the rooms as we've never stayed)
We'll be back , again, and again, and again ........

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
South Side
Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
#4 of 95 in Glasgow

Been to Kincaid House Hotel? Share your experiences!