“Strange Circumstances”

Meadowlands River Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
“Strange Circumstances”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Our company has a rate at this hotel and so we are obliged to stay here when visiting HQ. The property was until recently a Hampton Inn.

The entire hotel is in dire need up renovation. Old furnishings, dingy, worn carpet, torn bedding and disastrous bathrooms.

If you aren't picky and just want a place to lay your head while you're visiting New York, then I'm sure this hotel would work for you. Not sure their rates relative to others in the area, but if you're talking a $20 difference per night, I would certainly recommending staying elsewhere.

Terrible, basic breakfast is served in the morning. Cheap food. The hot selections aren't worth even trying.

Staff are friendly and as helpful as they can be.

If they just renovated I would change my review. But for now, this is a hole.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dan P
Haresh R, Manager at Meadowlands River Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear DAN,
I am very sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I am happy that in spite of the shortcomings you still noticed the good in our staff, thank you. Things have changed in this hotel, mainly the brand name and reward points. What has not changed is the same cleaning staff, same front desk staff, and same breakfast items from the same vendor, and the same free AT&T internet and free parking. I do share the same view with you about the building needing an uplift. Having said that I want to assure you that the cleanliness of the room is above standards because we still use the same guidelines of the previous brand, it is an older building but well kept and run by an extremely friendly helpful staff. I hope you continue to come and stay with us. I want to thank you for taking time to write this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Thank you goes to Jennifer for making our stay enjoyable, we had a fantastic time. Jennifer was very helpful with her suggestions for entertainment and transportation to NY. Hotel is so close to New York, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Haresh R, Manager at Meadowlands River Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
A big Thank you goes to MissNJTECH for the great review after a great stay. I am so glad your stay was enjoyable. We have already recognized "Jennifer" for her outstanding service. Meadowlands River Inn is a great hotel, a great location, a great team providing outstanding service, and I am glad you have taken time to write this review about all those. Thank you for staying here, we will see you soon again.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I am very happy I've chosen this hotel! The prices were one of the lowest rates I found in this area and its within perfect distance to great resturants and also a movie theater and walmart too! The person that helped me with my stay was Jennifer and she was very genuine and very professional. She gave me options to choose from concerning the room and informed me about the times of breakfast. She was very nice and not like a lot of other workers I have seen in the other hotels at almost 11pm when all they seems like is they want to go home or fall asleep! She was very talkative and open to any questions I had. To me the person that checks me in sets the stage about the hotel stay... I would definately stay again no questions asked!!! And to add
To it this hotel was in a safe area!

• Stayed January 2014
We are all happy that you stayed here at our lovely hotel. Meadowlands River Inn is at a great location, run by a great team of happy, hospitable people. Jennifer is part of a great team we have here working to make every ones stay memorable. Jennifer is always smiling and happy to serve anyone who stays here at any given time of the day or night mostly I am thankful to you for writing this great review, your words mean a lot to us.

Thank you and come again.
Berkshire
Reviewed January 6, 2014

1) We had pre-paid for our stay at this hotel using Venere, and were advised on check-in that our credit card was needed to cover incidentals only. When we checked out, I was assured that there was no bill to pay. We subsequently discovered our credit card had been charged for our stay, and when I called the hotel I was told that they had never heard of a company called Venere and I was told in no uncertain terms that I should have expected to be billed. Venere have subsequently dealt with this problem and we have been refunded. Apparently someone in the hotel had heard of their company after all.
2) When we prebooked the hotel still retained it's Hampton Inn franchise. By the time we had arrived this had been lost. However, we were given no prior notice of this change and consequently couldn't find the hotel travelling all over the area looking for the Hampton Inn sign. Be warned there is no indication that the building contains a hotel, office block, shopping mall or anything else for that matter.
3)Some of the communal areas of the hotel smell of stale cigarette smoke. Some people may enjoy spending time in a hotel that smells like a large ash tray, but I am not one of them.
4)The hotel, apart from smelling awful was obviously in need of some sprucing up and a thoroughly good clean. Despite staying for 2 nights we did not receive a visit from housekeeping at any point during our stay. It was an utterly depressing place to spend any time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Wendy R
Wendy R, let me first say how sorry I am about your experience while staying here. I am glad the credit card problem was fixed. Venere is a company we actually don't have any direct connection with, that is why we did not know. They sell rooms on behalf of another major hotel room supplier. In this mix we lost information and lead to making the mistake we did. We have taken steps to identify pre-paid reservations in our new system. The hotel prides itself in running a very clean hotel, I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. Once again, I am truly sorry about this start to end stay was not what you expected. Give us another chance and we will make everything right for you. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Thank you for writing this review, it helps find our mistakes and make changes for the better.
Hanover, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed there for two nights for New Year's.

The goods:
- the staff: very friendly and professional
- the rooms: confortable, spacious enough
- the breakfast: a good selection between hot and cold menu (waffles made in front of you!)
- transportation to NYC: 20 mins by bus. The bus station is just in front and the bus runs also at night.

The bads:
- commute to NYC took 1h30 one evening (weekday), but that was the only time.
- the hotel needs a fresh coat of paint

Overall: good value for money!

Tip: Secaucus taxis don't use a meter and don't accept cash. Negotiate well the price before getting in the car.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KeepTravelling196
Keith, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 1 week and from the start of our holiday to the end, the hotel staff were constantly professional, friendly and courteous . It was ideally situated to take the bus into Manhattan and we used public transport from Jfk to Penn station which was extremely easy. The hotel itself was clean and comfortable and there were plenty of places to eat and shop nearby. Compared to the cost of hotels in Manhattan this offers fantastic value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. I will certainly share your comments with the rest of the staff. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Thank you for the 5 star review.
Andover, MA
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I and my family stayed in this hotel during our recent visit to NYC. Rooms are clean and cozy. The stuff is very friendly and ultra knowledgeable about the city and surroundings.
The breakfast that is served every morning is delicious with plenty of options.

Bus stop is right across the street and it takes you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in about 20-25 minutes (depends on traffic).

The area feels pretty safe and has lots of restaurant and shops literally on the walking distance from the hotel.

The bottom line if you can afford the room in the city, that's great, way to go no questions about it. But if not, this is for sure wonderful a lot more affordable alternative.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family