“Very good stay”

Meadowlands Plaza Hotel-Secaucus
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I guess some people are hard to please. Myself and my wife enjoyed our stay. The free hot breakfast is available for each day of your stay. The shuttle service could not have been better (thanks Eris - very helpful). We stayed on the side of the hotel near to the highway, so if you are a light sleeper, it may be a problem - it never bothered me. I found a good price on the internet for this hotel, and the hotel matched it. We had to cancel our last night (of 4 nights), and the manager did this without complaint or service charge. Any staff I dealt with were helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 101eggie

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here to attend a concert at Metlife Stadium on July 11th and were excited that they allowed us to have one room when we arrived early (2pm). We were with another couple so we all dropped off our stuff and headed to the bar area for drinks and to wait until check in at 3pm. We chatted it up with the bar manger, Mr. Esposito. He was a riot and was the reason we had a fun time in the otherwise empty bar. My husband and I went to the counter to check in to the other room and the staff was miserable. Didn't smile, say hello, couldn't offer a suggestion for dinner locations and didnt in go out of their way to appear as though they were happy or liked were they were. I appreciated that they required photo id of every occupant because it showed that they cared about security, but clearly they werent interested in customer service. Our room was on the 7th floor and was bigger than we expected but totally outdated. Blueish thin carpets, old patterned sofa, gold lamp attached to the wall with a flat screen tv (I would have rathered new carpet). Since we weren't there to hang out it didn't really matter, it was clean so we were fine. We returned to the hotel after the concert and decided we would have a drink before bed, went into the same bar area and it had been transformed to some type of disco hot spot for single people over 70. It was packed and everyone seemed to being having a blast. We went to the bar, took us appx 15 minutes to get the only bartender to come over and when she did was she miserable! My mom ordered a frozen mudslide (nope they don't do that), I ordered a decaf coffee (nope we don't have that), my dad ordered a water and my husband ordered a beer (that was warm). Took her another 10 minutes to get said drinks, never with a smile, thank you, anything. That's okay, we aren't from NJ, the place was full of locals so I figured we were outsiders and didn't take it personal. Bring us to the next morning. We went downstairs for the free breakfast. When I walked in, my parents were sitting at a table (they arrived at 7:30, it was 7:55) I told them that we were going to take our bags to the car and join them for food. The waitress walked over to my parents table and I thought she was going to ask if I wanted a drink...nope she told them they had to leave! Was there a line? No. Were they done eating? No, they still had food. The reason? They had been there too long, and they were reading. When I explained that we were with them, they said we could sit but they would set us up with a table for 2. My mom and dad aren't the type of people who would give anyone a hard time or argue, so they said they would move and wait...but I was really upset! We took them on this trip as a gift, and I wanted them to be treated decently. I waited for the waitress to finish cleaning a nearby table so I could ask what sort of sense it made to make them move in a half empty restaurant...and watched as another couple returned to their table from the buffet line with their table cleaned and reset. They had gone up for seconds and this waitress wanted us to sit at their table!!! I pointed out her error and she told me that if I wanted to argue with someone take it to the manager. That was it...I didn't want breakfast that bad and I certainly didn't want to deal with this horrible waitstaff. I was shocked. I really still am. I checked out and asked the staff at the counter if the manger was on duty. He was, but was speaking with another guest and we needed to hit the road for our 4 hour ride home. I figured that this website was a better warning for the people anyways. If you are coming in the area stay somewhere else, there are plenty of options!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Adornment
Reviewed August 15, 2012

stayed here for xmas 2011 do some shopping in new york and tho it seems a bit out the way its not, only short trip to the train station and few mins later your in new york city.They did offer free shuttle,im not sure if this is still on offer but to take you is ok if your no rush to get anywhere but to pick you back up from airport then your be lucky, your call and they all say its not here but when you get back its sitting there and the driver is more likely asleep at the desk :)
i found the staff helpful and polite both during day and at night,the breakfast is bog standard what you get in most US hotels but it was warm and loads of it.
room was more than big enough for 2 people and clean only thing was the heating as we went in Dec the heating would go off after so long and your have to get out and turn it back on, i didnt find this any hassle but my girlfriend did not like the cold :)
all in all i would stay here again for the money and how close it is to the Centre of New York you cant complain.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobbsG
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel from July 9th through July 13th and must say that we have never encountered such rude staff! We have stayed at numerous hotels over the years and this was the worst when it comes to staff. They barely looked at us and never greated with us with a smile or a good morning, good evening. The men that drive the shuttle are very rude never great you at all, just open and close doors and drive. They never speak to you at all making every ride very uncomfortable. We tipped our first few trips then stopped tipping as we believe that tips are given for your service and how you treat us and they did not work for their tips at all. The breakfast was nasty, over cooked and bad quality. The servers expect tips for pointing and telling you which table to sit at, also, they are rude too! I am amazed that the owners of this hotel do not train these people better. With all that said, this hotel is very clean and their housekeeping staff seem to be the most friendly people that work there. The rooms are very outdated and need some new room decor. The beds are very hard like sleeping on rocks. If we ever return to this area we will NOT stay at this hotel, there are several other hotels in the same area which we will stay at.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank donna g
Reviewed June 24, 2012

First off, I didn't stay at this hotel. I attended a class in the Princeton room. My class was ok, but the tables were flimsy, the air conditioning wasn't that great, and I felt like I was standing in a room with a bunch of smokers. Apparently there is a room at the end of the hall set up for smokers. It is truly horrible. My allergies kicked in and, honestly, if this class was offered again at this hotel, I would not return. I am so glad that my husband chose another hotel for us to spend the night in.

Room Tip: I would say stay away from the mezzanine.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MeloPeach
Reviewed June 11, 2012

After previous stays which we felt were of good value and where we received very good service we were disappointed for sure. We found the front desk cold and disinterested in helping. The shuttle service was not good. Upon arriving at the bus terminal from a long day in the city and in the rain we were told to walk back to the hotel. The front desk said he thought it was a pretty safe neighbourhood?? After I reminded him it was pouring rain he said to hold on a he would see what he could do. The next night it was again almost an hour wait for the shuttle. I will look somewhere else next year. So much for interest returns business.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were looking for a reasonably priced place to stay to visit NYC. I say that we found it here. Prices were much less expensive than in the city. The service was great and when my grandmother suddenly got very ill they were very nice about giving us a deal on extra nights. The shuttle service was fantastic and the bus into the city was very easy and convenient. Breakfast wasn't very good but it was fine. The beds are pretty hard if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.

• Stayed: June 2012