“Excellent”

Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Great price for the quality!

Really beautiful room with confortable bed, pretty clean! A little bit far from boston but the price it's all right.

I recommand it to my friends and will return anytime soon!

• Stayed May 2013
Mokhtar M, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
PhilippeGarneau, Thanks for your review of our hotel. I am glad that you found us excellent. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Turkish first
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed there for one night (8/3) and was very disappointed. We put our belongings into the room and quickly left for NY. We didn't check the room out figuring everything was ok. When we got back and started to settle in we noticed a smell in the place and some trash that was not emptied. I could handle that but the topper was the bathtub had peeled plaster in it with about an inch of water covering the debris. Yuk.... We were exhausted and it was 11:30 pm at night so we decided to gut it out and stick to the room as we didn't want to change rooms. I told management about this the next day and they took down my information. I got an email from management with an apology 48 hours later but I responded if you really want me back give me an offer (aka 20% discount off for a return trip or something ) to make up for this disaster. That's been 3 days ago..... and no response from the management on my counter offer that sent the email. I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Never had any problems with a holiday inn
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tman8458
Mokhtar M, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear tman8458, Thank you for the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry that the experience did not meet your expectations. Checking someone into a room with an odor, unemptied trash and an unclean bath tub are certainly not the impression we want to provide. I appreciate you telling us about the issue so that we can train the staff to ensure an incident like this does not happen again. I believe you were in contact with my front office manager who sent out a discount coupon for your next stay. Please check your email for more information. Again I apologize for the bad stay and I truly hope you give us a chance to make it up to you.
Midlothian
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We travel to the NYC area and have stayed at a number of properties in and around the city. The Red Roof Inn seems to be the first to hit all the right notes of affordability, comfort and convenience for getting into Manhattan.
My first experience was with a phone call to confirm availability, as I was coming into the area with NO reservation. The young man who answered the phone was polite and informative. He accepted the coupon from the hotel discount book I picked up at a rest stop. Accessing the hotel from the NJ Turnpike was easy and though the property looks older on the exterior, it is pretty. Check in was swift and efficient. The same gentleman who spoke to me on the phone handled that.
The INTERIOR is recently renovated and very attractive. I appreciated the aesthetic touches of the laminate flooring, mixed with carpeting, and trendy vessel sinks. The ENTIRE facility is smoke free, which in my opinion is a definite plus!
Commuting into the city was a breeze - rush hour bus stop is located directly in front of the property next door. Off peak hours the bus stop is about a half mile up the road, but it is an easy walk.
I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Thepuckgoddess
Mokhtar M, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Thepuckgoddess, I appreciate the kind review about the Red Roof Inn Meadowlands. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our property and your trip to NYC. We have received a lot of positive feedback regarding our renovation and it's design, as well as being 100% smoke-free. With our location being near the NJ Turnpike and multiple public transportation options, we are in a prime spot for those venturing into New York City to explore. We hope to see you again soon.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stopped in for a place to sleep while in transit, had a reservation which was fine, all was well, the room very clean, fridge microwave bathroom, but the customer service sucks, I've stayed at many RRI's while on the road as we travel a lot and never experienced people who work at a RRI being this rude/blunt. I don't know if its the area or the way people are, but.... plain and simple property is good, amenities good service poor! and just for that I doubt I would return to this property

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheDeviatingBlonde
Mokhtar M, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We appreciate your comments about our hotel. Our Red Roof Inn is conveniently located minutes from the excitement of NYC. We offer newly renovated rooms with microwaves and mini fridge. I am sorry your did not receive great customer service. I will make sure to address this with my team. my staff works hard every day to provide great customer service to all our valued guests. We hope to see you again whenever you are in NYC area again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

had 7 rooms there for 3 nights and another stay for 1 night.
after arriving late night after a flight i was a lil shocked on the check in through a security window but thinking on a whole it was a lil understandable.
the rooms a decently sized could do with some kinda net curtain and some brighter lights.
free internet is a bonus although try to get a room on top floor for good network coverage.
i found this out after the highly professional and lovely felicia moved my room within 1 min of asking about the internet.
not too far from public transport for nyc, subway and other restaurants across the street, a closely tied taxi company.
all in all if your on a budget but still need something decent this is the place.

Room Tip: better internet coverage on top floor,
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Erwin H
Mokhtar M, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We appreciate your comments about our Red Roof Inn. Our hotel is conveniently located within minutes from NYC and Times Square. Our rates are very competitive and our rooms have been recently renovated. I will pass these comments on to the team and especially to Felicia. Thank you so much for your feeddback and hope to see you again soon.

Halifax
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights June 29-July 3. Very happy with this hotel. Rooms are spacious and clean. Only 5 minute drive to Secaucus Junction to get the train into NYC and train ride is 10 mins right into Penn Station. Great location. Also just minutes from IZOD Center, Met Life stadium. Only issue was that 2 lights in the room weren't working. I did ask to have them fixed on our first day but it never got done. I mentioned it when I checked out and they apologized for the inconvenience and credited me for 1 nights stay which I felt was more than generous. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sunnyhalifax
Mokhtar M, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We certainly appreciate your comments. Our hotel is conveniently located minutes away from Times Square. A short bus ride will get you there for only $3.20. We have nice and spacious rooms, recently renovated with vinyl flooring, flat screen TVs and brand new mattresses. I am sorry to hear we did not take care of the lighting issue. But I am glad my team made sure you were completely satisfied. That is our goal!
We appreciate your business and we hope to see you again soon.

New York
Reviewed June 24, 2013

It seems that this Red Roof Inn tried to break out of the mold of a second rate motel, and improve their rooms and image. But - the improvements were not well thought through and incomplete, and the hotel is clearly falling back to it's "normal state".

Room was obviously recently renovated. However, renovations did not touch some of the more difficult (and important) items. Bathtub is old, with aging dirt covered up partially by a stick-on mat. Dirty and poorly maintained door did not open or close properly. AC is an old through-the wall unit of a kind that does not turn off at all (i.e. keeps fan blowing even when compressor is off). These units are noisy and quite uncomfortable. To me, these units are completely unacceptable in any hotel, especially one that tries to be minimally modern.

Room was fairly dirty. This is partially due to the way it is set up, with limited access to narrow area next to one of the beds where much of the dirt concentrated. New stick-on baseboards also seem to make cleaning harder and have a thick layer of dirt and dust on them, that evidently was never cleaned. Laminate floors and carper mats around the bed were both "icky" - enough so that I had significant reservations going around in socks, and would not even think of going barefoot. The new flat screen LCD tv had melted plastic on the front frame, probably from cigarette damage (and that's in a "non smoking hotel").

The hotel is in a discount mall area with somewhat "rougher" clientele, which probably causes some of the issues. They advertise a weekly rate of $449 on a large banner hanging on facade. That's probably more in line with what one should pay for it (but weekly rates tend to attract specific kinds of clients, not always ideal as neighbors).

I paid a relatively low rate ($80 or so a day) and felt that it was a bit too high for what I got. That said, this was a "trial run" because photos on the web site looked good. Next time I am giving it a miss. YMMV

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bork3000
Mokhtar M, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments about your recent stay with us. I am so sorry we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that I will be addressing these issues with my team. Our rates are still the best in the area and we are working every day to keep these rates as low as possible.

Thank you for your business and I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you better.