“Good Value, But horrific Front desk service”

Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Value, But horrific Front desk service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

When my family and I arrived to New York, it was 12 noon. I tried to explain to the front desk girl that we were only 1 hour earlier, and we would like to know if we could check in a bit earlier, and she answered in a very rude way. She said " check in is at 3! (Not true, website states 1pm) and besides none of the rooms are clean so you have to wait". I would've been ok waiting, but she gave me such an attitude when I told her check in time was at 1 as stated on their website, she said "well too bad, if there are no clean rooms then you'll have to wait past 3pm!!!
This hotel has a great location, close to NYC and it would be busier if they were too train their receptionist to act and treat customers with a minimal good customer service because they are rude!!!!
The rooms are not as clean as I have expected. The room smelled like CIGARETTES even though we had a non-smoking room.
If you're expecting a clean room and minimally courteous service DO NOT come here. If you're looking for location and value, then Red Roof Inn is an option.

• Stayed February 2013
Kelly S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear your experience with us was below average. Our checking time starts at 3 pm. Usually when we have cleans rooms available we are happy to go ahead with the check in process. However, sometimes when we have a full house we are unable to check in guests before 3 pm. My front desk person should have explained this to you in a more professional way. I promise I will address this with my team and make sure it does not happen again. Please feel free to contact me if you want to discuss. I want to make sure you are completely satisfied and that you give us another chance.
My contact information is below. Thank you for your time and hope to see you again.

i0150@redroof.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I book this room as a package through Expedia. Mainly because it was the cheapest and I figured I didn't want to spend that much on a room when I would hardly be there. BIG mistake! The major problem is the transportation! With all the money you spent getting to and from NYC you could use that to getting a room closer! The hardest part and most expensive is getting to and from the airport JFK! The taxi charged us over $100. There are other options which we took to return to the airport. We took the bus $3.20 (one way) to Port Authority Bus 40 min with average traffic. Then we had to take the Subway (blue line) A $ only about $3 but it took 1hr 5 min. Then we had to take the airport tran $5 took 20 min. You loose so much time and most of the elevators/ escalators don't work. So traveling with your luggage is such a hassle!!!!

Oh and the train is $4 each way

As far as rooms: we had problem with our first room, the toilet wouldn't flush. So we told the lady in the front as we left for the day, however when we returned the bathroom was not fixed. So we had to pack up our stuff and switch rooms at 1 am. The good thing is they sent someone with our bags! The rooms are clean, and

• Stayed March 2013
Kelly S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Monica F.
Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate you giving us your feedback. I am sorry to hear you had difficulties getting to JFK airport from here. While taxi might be a little expensive, many of our guests have no trouble getting to JFK airport by bus. Bus # 129 stops right in front of our hotel and costs only $3.20 one way. Our front desk staff can always help with bus schedules and directions.
Thank you for your review and hope you give us another opportunity to serve you better next time.

Woodridge, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Clean rooms, excellent maintance crew, Front desk personel will bend over backwards for you, to help you in any way possible. Shelia is the best, very helpful none better. Between the manager and Shelia any problems will be taken care off, not pushed off like other hotels. Shelia was very helpful with our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I appreciate your nice comments about our rooms and my staff. I will make sure to pass along your comments to the team. My staff is here to help and to make our guests feel welcome. Please come back and see us next time you are in the area.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I just stayed for 4 days I was in town for a Funeral the room was nice and location was very good all of the staff were very friendly I had a nice view of the NY Skyline and enjoyed seeing the Empire State Building lit up at night.. Only a few things our nightstand drawer was broke and a light fixture on the wall was loose we reported when we checked in to ensure we would not be charged for it. I would definetly stay here again if i am in the area I feel for the value it was a good stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for this review. Our hotel is conveniently located within miles from Manhattan. Public transportation is available all day and within walking distance. Thank you for letting us know about the furniture in the room, I will have this addressed immediately. I appreciate your comments and hope to see you again next time you are in the area.

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights we attending a funeral in Newark and this was close and affordable. Easy to locate room was not bad had a few minor issues nightstand was broke and light ficture was very loose on wall but overall I was pleased with my stay and all of the staff bed was comfortable I could even see the NY Skyline from my window was nicd seeing the Empire State building all lit up. I will definetly be staying again if I am in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Newton, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was a free room point stay, picked this location because of the closeness to NYC the room the gave me was int the back building all the way at the end for the building were all the buses park as well as trucks. Constant noise all night long I could here all the rooms around and above me which I thought was unusual for a red roof as I have stated in others and the were pretty sound proofed. The room was nice it had be renovated but the bath room was another story the tub was left out of the Reno and the toilet kept over flowing from the top of the tank never seen that before and it had not been flushed advised front desk at check out. Cleaning lady barely knocked on door 2 hours before check out and just walked in did not wait for a response to see if anyone was in the room. The front desk person allowed me to check in early but only after she ignored me for a bit when I asked her when I could check in she looked up my name and just said I need to see Id no reply like we have a room ready now felt like I was being a bother to her once again never had this happen at any other red roof or other hotel chain. As you can see from my other reviews I usually have a lot of nice things to say but not with this place..... What a waste of a free room...One other thing the wifi was weak had a hard time connecting and getting a signal dial up works faster....

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want peace and quiet ...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bear464
Kelly S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your experience at our Red Roof Inn. I sincerely apologize for all the issues you experienced during your stay. I will make sure to address these issues with my team. As a valued guest, you deserve a much better service than the one you received. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience, so we can talk about how I can make it up to you. I don't want you to feel that you wasted your free night. I do appreciate your business and hope you give us an opportunity to serve you better next time.

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

My only critique would be the non-stop clicking sound of the heat and the very hard pillows. Needless to say I had a tough time sleeping. I will be staying here again due to the value, cleanliness & location but I will come prepared with my own pillows and earplugs next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank calamine_tea
Kelly S, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We welcome your feedback and will be addressing the two issues mentioned in your review. I am pleased to hear that you still enjoy staying with us. Our Red Roof Inn is conveniently located minutes away from Manhattan. It is the perfect location for guests who can not afford higher room rates in downtown NY. Many guests like staying with us so they can save money to enjoy other things while in New York City.
Next time you stay with us, I want you to give me a call so I can make sure you don't experience any issues with our pillows and heat in your room. I want to make sure you enjoy your stays with us.
Thank you for your business with us and hope to see you again soon.

redroof.com