“Disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Toronto
“Disappointed”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I'm used to staying at Red Roofs because I like to bring my dogs and get some work done at the same time. Sadly, this time I could not do this because the Internet was so bad it made it impossible to do anything. I had to incur my own data charges which made me wish I stayed elsewhere. The interior was fine, I did not appreciate being stuck out where a garbage truck came by and picked up its load at 9pm. I can't possibly recommend this place because its no where near any decent food choices. There was flooding and terrible roads in this area at the time I was visiting. The only redeeming factor was the housekeeping staff. Recommend they look at their Internet or offer pay per use.

Room Tip: Don't choose the back lot, too much truck activity.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kelly S, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Capistrano99,
I am sorry to hear about your disappointing stay. I'm happy that you liked the interior of the room, but not its location. I will be contacting our wireless internet provider to test the quality of the service and to make necessary improvements. I encourage you to send me a message with your name and stay details so that we can pinpoint the area that was so strongly affected. With the exception of Trillo's, we do only have fast food and cafe options for restaurants across the street. We are always happy to provide guests with recommendations to other restaurants, many of which are only 2 miles away. Thank you so much for your time to comment about your recent stay. Again, I urge you to send me a message so that I can further look into the weak internet signal.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife was seeing a specialist in NYC that wanted us to stay close for monitoring for about a week. We simply couldn’t afford the NYC prices for an extended stay so we stayed at the RRI-Meadowlands for the week. We were very pleased with the updated rooms, especially the TV. The faux hardwood floors and the pedestal sink were nice touches as well. The bed was very comfortable for both of us; she likes firm and I like plush so it was right in the middle. There’s a Subway, Wendy’s, Dunkin’ Donuts, and a few other relatively cheap dining options directly across the street.

Getting to NYC was almost too simple. There’s an NJ Transit bus stop right in front of the hotel where the 129X bus ($3.20 one way…NOT the 129) that will take you to the NY Port Authority Terminal, and bring you back to the hotel during morning and evening rush hours. The terminal is connected to the subway system. You can also drive and park at Secaucus Junction, which is about 5 minutes away, and take the train ($4 one way) to Penn Station. I’ve read that parking SJ is rather expensive though, but I'm pretty sure the 78 bus at the stop in front of the hotel will take you there. Or you can take another 5 minute drive to the North Bergen Park and Ride (my preferred option if you have a car) and take the 320 bus ($9.50 for $6 round trip and $3.50 parking) to the Port Authority Terminal. I'm sure there are several other ways to get to NYC that I haven't listed here. Either option is better (in my opinion) than dealing with NYC/Lincoln tunnel traffic and NYC parking.

I only have a few minor complaints about the hotel. First complaint: they are kinda stingy with the wash cloths. I think they only gave us 2 initially, but they will give you more without any problems if you ask. Second complaint: some of the weekend guests were rather noisy. There was even a police situation in the room next door to ours. That’s not the RRI’s fault though. My final complaint: the water pressure in the shower (at least in our room) was poor. That's it...no complaints about the cleanliness or service at all.

Overall, if you’re looking for a relatively inexpensive alternative to staying in NYC, RRI-Meadowlands may be the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kelly S, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Bill B, Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Secaucus Red Roof Inn. It is wonderful to hear that you and your wife had a great stay. I hope she is doing well. We are very proud of the upgrades to the television, flooring and sink fixtures that we recently put in during our renovation and am happy that the both of you enjoyed them, too. Our brand standard currently has us placing two wash cloths in each room. I will be sharing your comments with them, so as we can work to increase the number in the room. I am glad you asked for more when you needed them. We are always happy to oblige. My apologies for the noisy guests and poor water pressure in the shower. Please message me with the registered name and/or room number so that I can have maintenance follow up with the issue. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We look forward to seeing you again.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was booking for a hotel in early Novemeber 2012 for my trip in December and eveywhere you go online there are bad reviews so I just picked Red Roof Inn in NJ. My purpose was to go sightseeing in NYC. I gotta say I was impressed with the hotel deal and how clean it was. When I was opeining the door I said to myselft "keep your mind open" well it was nice. First thing I did once I got in there was the bed, I am very picky with sheets and bed mattresses, but these sheets were egyptian and soft. The bed was comfy too. If you are seeking for a luxurious stay well go pay maybe 300-400 dollars in manhattan but this hotel was great for me. I went to NYC for fun, not to have fun in my hotel room. Another good thing was the transportation, before 9am there is a bus a block away that takes you into manhattan. If not, after 9am you can take The NJ Transit bus that passes every hour wich is only $3.50 a way and very comfy too, this bus is sorta like a city bus except its designed like a Coach Bus, It took the bus 15 minutes to get to manhattan and the AUTHORITY PORT.. from there you are 2 blocks away from Times square. When I booked this hotel I said to myself, "I am gonna ignore the bad reviews because not everyone experinces the same but also, you cant get one little thing ruin your adventures" Definitly worth it to stay if going to NYC. I will stay here again when I go back to NY in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Rick A
Dear Rick A, Thank you so much for your review of the Red Roof Inn Secaucus. I am glad to hear that you really enjoyed our bedding package. A good night's sleep can make all the difference when you're sightseeing in New York. I am happy that you found it easy to make the trip between the hotel into NYC via the bus. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thank you for your time.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was going to visit New York for a couple of days, but Manhattan was overbooked and prices were around 300$ over there. So this was a lot better option. I was not sure what will I get for that price range, but I was quite surprised to see what it actually was. Clean and modern rooms with TV, mini-fridge and even microwave. Friendly and helpful front desk personnel. Add car rental and your trip will be awesome! Oh, and don't forget to check out Wendy's drive thru late night if you are hanging out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Anwart312
Kelly S, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear anwart312, Thank you for telling us about your pleasant stay with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the convenience of having a microwave and mini-refrigerator in your room. It is also great to hear that the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Thank you for acknowledging them. I know they appreciate it. We all hope to see you again should you visit New York City in the future.
Secaucus, New Jersey
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Have using this hotel for a long period and the front desk personal have been help me with my stay, specially Ms. Joanna for her service and attention on guests need. There i security guard over night, also the new room looking much better than before.

Room Tip: Restaurant and swimming pool don't apply
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kelly S, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Tad287, Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your many experiences with us at the Red Roof Inn Secaucus. I am thrilled that you are really enjoying the renovated rooms this year. It is so nice to know that my staff continues to provide you with great service and attention. I will be sharing these kind words with them, especially Joanna. It is always great to be publicly recognized for a job well done. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!
solihull
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel in New york is a really great hotel to stay , the rooms was of very high standard and the help and friendliness of everyone in the hotel was second to none. My son lost a personal valuable item and had moved on to memphis. The hotel posted it to us and we received it in England within 2 days. well worth considering this hotel when staying in THE AMAZING NEW YORK .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear lorraine m, Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience with us. We really appreciate it. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. I will also be sharing your comments with the staff regarding their wonderful helpfulness and friendliness, as well as promptly returning your son's personal item. It's always nice to be acknowledged for a job well done. Thank you again and we hope to see you again should you visit New York City in the future.
Secaucus, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I am thankful for the experience that I have had at the Red Roof Inn in Secaucus, NJ. The staff here is the best I have Met in all New Jersey. Joanna has made my stay here wonderful from the very first day. She always remembers me and makes sure that my rates are right. She is thoughtful and respectful to everyone. Sheila and Robert are helpful as well. They have also made my stay enjoyable. Dereck always keeps up with me to see if the room needs any repair or up keep, and the maid service is top notch. It's like one big happy Family around here, I miss them when I'm gone. Thanks for your care. Sincerely, Richard Anderson

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Richard Anderson, Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. It is wonderful to hear that this is your home away from home and the staff is taking such good care of you when you stay here. I will be sure to especially acknowledge Joanna, Sheila, Robert and Derrick for all that they do for you. Thank you also for your compliments of the housekeeping staff. We look forward to seeing you again and thanks again for such a wonderful review.