“Economical alternative to NYC”

Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
New York City, New York
“Economical alternative to NYC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

The best part of this hotel is the value for money. At roughly $120 a night, the same hotel would have been about double in NYC. There is a bus stop within 5-10 minutes walk where you can buy a round trip ticket for $6.40. The trip can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on the traffic, time of day, and whether there happens to be an accident in the Lincoln Tunnel. The bus drops you off at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd/8th Ave) from which you have easy access to just about any destination you choose.

Given the fact that NYC can be extremely expensive, this hotel gives travelers an opportunity to save $ on the stay and use it on a Broadway show, other entertainment, shopping, etc. The rooms are comfortable, but the proximity to a major highway can make things loud, especially if you are not used to big city living. In fairness, staying at other NYC hotels would probably be just as loud, but there may be other quieter locations you could consider.

The breakfast buffet (some parts of the buffet are self serve, but you place orders for omelets, French toast, etc.) was about $10 per person, but the staff was not able to keep pace when the dining room filled up. We arrived for brunch and were seated quickly and then ignored. As other guests that arrived after us were served we approached the servers and asked if we could place an order. Even after repeatedly requesting service we did not receive any food for at least 30 minutes. We did not have to pay for the meal, which was a nice resolution to the issue, but if you're the type of person that cannot handle that type of thing you may want to avoid the hotel breakfast when it is busy.

The fitness center was small but had a couple treadmills (be sure to get there early if you plan on working out) and was clean (the water dispenser did not have cups for any of the 3 days of our stay) and had towels we could use. The pool area seemed small for a hotel of that size, but I guess it's ok if you just wanted to use the jacuzzi part.

The staff was friendly and helpful, which is always nice to see but on the whole I would rate this as an average experience.

Room Tip: Try getting a room that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HGISecaucus, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Christopher K:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hilton Garden Inn in Secaucus after your stay with us. I am glad that you found the bus easy and economical to use. For breakfast we do have a package that is called the Bed and Breakfast Deal that can be reserved and with the rate that is quoted for your room, it will include breakfast for up to four people. On this plan children under 12 will be complimentary for breakfast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed there when came for Broadway show, and forgot a ring when left. They found the ring and shipped it to our home. Great job! The hotel was very nice and quite. If you plan to use city bus tio go to NYC, plan a lot of time. The buses do not come on schedule.

Room Tip: If you plan to use city bus tio go to NYC, plan a lot of time. The buses do not come on schedule.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bostonian2011:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review after your stay with us. I am glad we were able to find your missing item and get it returned to you.

All of us do appreciate you staying with us for your trip to the New York City area and hope to see you again in the future.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was nervous about staying here because of some of the reviews I read so the Hilton really passed all my expectations. The room was much larger than I expected and was very clean, without that horrible chemical smell that you encounter in so many other hotels. It was very easy to get to the NYC bus. (Yes, you are walking along a road for part of the time, but, even with children, it wasn't scary in the least.) The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Because of the reviews I read, we had rooms not on the highway side, and it was completely quiet and peaceful. I would absolutely stay there again. A free breakfast would have been an added plus, but wasn't necessary.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Loisbeth
Dear Loisbeth:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hilton Garden Inn here in Secaucus. I am glad you found the New Jersey Transit buses easy to use. I will be sure to pass your comments along to our team members so they can see how their efforts help our guest have an enjoyable stay.

toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

lobbry for dinner is good service. room is good layout. both tub and shower good/ very clean however,toothbrush is not free. usd2.00 each location is good and only 20minute to new york port authority transit center.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGISecaucus, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus / Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear JU C:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel after your stay with us. I'm glad you found the New Jersey Transit bus system easy to use and quick ride in to New York CIty.

Overland Park, KS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Okay stay .. okay location. Kind of hard to find and guests should know that anyone with young children (and baby) will have a bit of a walk to a bus. The middle aged gentleman at the front desk was fantastic! Others either didn't speak good English or had no clue where anything was. But if "the guy" was at the front desk, we knew we'd be taken care of.

The room felt dirty, the bed skirt had holes in it, the bathroom door wouldn't stay open. BUT .. for the price we paid, it was okay. Didn't really feel like Hilton quality to me .. but I don't know the east coast that well. Goes back too -- you get what you pay for.

PLUS - free internet

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear P E:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay with us. I hope you would accept my apologies for not meeting all of your expectations. In regards to room cleanliness we have received consistant excellent scores from Hilton when they have done their Quality Assurance evaluations. I would also like to let you know that we are going to be doing some upgrades to the television system, the business center and a lobby renovation starting next week. I think the next time you stay with us you will like the new look.

All of us do appreciate you staying with us and we do hope to see you again the next time you are in our area.
Cumberland, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed one night at this establishment, checked in late left by 8 AM, no extras. I got my bill under the door showing $171 for the room for the one night. 3 days later there is also a charge for $35.70 on my charge card. When I called to inquire, I was told this is hotel policy to make this charge for 'incidental charges' then they will credit you in 5-10 days if there aren't any charges! I said well if that is your policy then we should be told when we check in. I was told that I should have been told, but I wasn't. I was also told that if I had stayed 2 nights the charge would have been $100!!! I can't believe that they can get away with this without telling us! I will be re-thinking where I make my reservations in the future. I can also say that not all Hilton Garden Inns have this as their policy.

1 Thank Debbie W
Dear Debbie W:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our Hilton Garden Inn after your stay with us. I do apologize if there was any confusion with the credit card authorization process that is outlined on the inside of our key packets. The amount that you mentioned was the difference between the authorization and the physical amount that was charged to your card. The bank is supposed to release any unused amounts once they have received the final charge. Unfortunately I am not sure where the rate of $100 you mentioned was from if you stayed more than one night but our rates are published on our website and at our toll free centers and we do not have that rate.

Again my apologies for any confusion. All of us do appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again in the future.
State College, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was everything we were looking for while visiting our daughter in NYC. The room was very clean and cooled by quiet AC . We had a good night's sleep on a very comfortable, yet firm mattress. The hotel employees were friendly and helpful. The bus stop was close by and economical and stress free. We made it into NYC port authority in 10 minutes without all the hassles. I would recommend the hotel and we plan on coming back. You won't find a hotel as nice as this one for the price they offer.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Margaret F:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay at our Hilton Garden Inn. I am glad that you found the bus stop easy to use and got into New York City so quickly.

I would like to let you know that over the next few weeks we will be doing a lobby renovation, an upgrade to the television system and an upgrade to the business center.

All of us do appreciate you staying with us and look forward to seeing you the next time you visit our area.