“Happily, old reviews do not apply” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Secaucus Meadowlands

Holiday Inn Secaucus Meadowlands
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Pennsylvania
“Happily, old reviews do not apply”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I bid for a stay in Secaucus on Priceline and Holiday Inn was the winner. I was happy until I checked the hotel out on TripAdvisor. Based on reviews, I was braced for a very disappointing stay. I am pleased to report that I was pleasantly "shocked" to find that it was a beautiful hotel with absolutely no major problems.

The difference is that the hotel was completely remodeled in March 2009.

The room was spotless and nicely appointed. There was a couch in the king-bed room I had. There was even a view of the upper half of Manhattan from my 8th floor room. (Literally, the "upper" half of Manhattan -- the hill of Jersey City was in the way, leaving only the skyscrapers that were over 40 storeys in view.)

The air conditioner - although erratic in its estimation of warm and cool - was CLEAN still. (I hate looking into the filter and seeing gobs of accreted matter from years of dust and guests that is sickeningly true of almost all hotels. What a relief this was!)

The staff was helpful and friendly when you needed them, and pleasantly not in your face when you were in no need. (We stayed for 3 nights, and didn't want the room cleaned or disturbed for the duration, and that worked with no problem.) I was worried when I first called the hotel from home: the phone rang a long time and was never picked up. Then when I did get through on a subsequent call, the manner was barely personable. But those doubts disappeared in face-to-face reality upon arrival. Great staff, very friendly.

A new 14-screen theater complex is being built 200 yards from the hotel. So evening entertainment should be easy. The very large flat screen tv in my room anyway, made for even easier entertainment at the end of a day.

There is shopping right out the hotel's back door -- a number of chain stores and eateries in walking distance. The commercial environment is well designed and parklike and even had a labyrinth in the central "square". Nice place to sit and enjoy a bagel and coffee.

Very quite rooms -- either there was no one to either side of us, or the recent upgrade did wonders with soundproofing. Excellent. (I think I did hear someone next door in the bathroom, come to think of it, but that was all.)

Very safe area.

15-minute bus ride to Port Authority: $3.20.

The bad? Not much to report here, thankfully. But a couple small inconveniences:
Internet was slow (I think they route everything through some kind of filter or their own gateway, slowing it down). Too, the "business center" computers near the front desk - in case you didn't bring your laptop - is not free like at some nearby hotels provide this for their patrons.

No towel rack. This was just strange. Staying 3 nights and trying to be "green" by not having them picked up to be washed was a challenge.

Valet parking is $10 for the day, or you can park on the exposed roof level of a car park about a block away. I wish it was covered parking, since I didn't want to dish out an extra $30 for basically keeping my car parked the three days I was there, but also didn't want to expose items in my car to high heat of radiant sun. Dilemma.

But overall, this stay was a huge nice surprise.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Thomas P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2009

Traveling on a budget and want to save $200 per night by staying outside the city? . . . Then this is one of several hotels in the Harmon Meadow Plaza that fit the bill. On a recent trip, it was just the three of us. We got a double non-smoking room at the Holiday Inn. Went through Priceline and this facility was listed as a 3-Star hotel. Got the room for a very reasonable rate, and since it was a Tues. / Wed. stay, it wasn't too crowded.
Note: There is a Convention Center right down the street so sometimes this place can be crowded and fully booked.

From the hotel lobby there is an MTA bus stop about 400' away. Are you comfortable with riding a city bus into NYC through the Lincoln Tunnel? If so you can purchase tickets in the Holiday Inn gift shop for a bus ride (~ $6 per person round trip) to the Port Authority on 42nd and 8th Ave (one block walk from Times Square). There you go. . . 30 minutes later you are in the city, and you can spend your money there! If you would rather drive into the city, you'll probably spend $25 for a day of parking anyway so it's a wash.

Our room had a 42" flat screen TV with movies you can rent pay-per-view. Some of the rooms are dingy for 3-Star (stain on curtain, water spot in bathroom ceiling) but overall a good value. Overall this is a good hotel for the money, with good service when its not too crowded, and there is no pool.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Dale City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

Checked Holiday Inn's website-$139 p/nt. Tried PriceLine-$50 p/nt. Got it!

Very nice hotel. Good location if you want to avoid NY prices. Very quiet atmosphere. From the lobby, passing thru the beautiful back courtyard, you have a outside shopping(nothing spectaular) BUT there's a 6 screen theater(a 14 screen is being built), Burger King, OutBack Steak, Houlihan's, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Dunkin Donuts, Sushi Restaurant, Chili's, among others. Two blocks down is a Sam's Club and a Walmart. Go to gift shop and buy a round trip bus pass to NY and the bus drops you in the heart of Times Square(if you don't want to drive). The buses run late hours too. Way better then waiting on the shuttle bus to drop you off and pick you up at the subway station. Back to the hotel, the rooms a spacious (and i've been in plenty), clean, well-lit, with 42" LCD flatscreen TV. Movies are $12.99. Only person with a smile was the doorman/driver and housekeeping. The other employees suck! But I didn't come there to have them cheesing in my face anyways. So, no love lost! High-speed internet pc's monitors are facing the front desk with no privacy. To be honest, I don't believe this hotel gets alot of action.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Harmon Meadows 1/ 21-24/ 09. We were visiting New York and chose this location because of the ease in getting into the city. The bus stop is 1/2 block from the hotel, and the bus ride to the Port Authority is only about 15 min. I don't think you could get any closer to the city without being IN the city. There are also a number of chain restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, which was also very convenient. We were very pleased with our room. It was very spacious, was recently renovated , beautifully appointed and immaculate. The beds were extremely comfortable - so much so that my friend peeled back the linens to see who manufactured the bed, as she wanted to try to buy one! There were extra towels, extra pillows, and additional blankets. My friend and I had a number of questions and requests of the staff, and found they went out of their way to accomodate us. From the doorman, to the personnel at the service desk, the customer service was outstanding. I had trouble getting on the internet, so they had tech support call me and they fixed me right up. They have a tech support guy that they share with the other hotels in the area, so I didn't have to call New Delhi to get help! I don't know if other Holiday Inns do this, but there was a platter of fresh-baked cookies and punch at the service desk Wed andThurs evenings, which was a very nice touch. For us, this hotel was a perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of the city, while still being so close to everything. We could not have been happier with the room or the service. Because we got our room through Priceline, and I've heard some hotels give Priceline customers the crummiest room, I had braced myself for the possibility of being very disappointed. We were most pleasantly surprised. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The bed and room was so comfortable! Helpful, friendly customer service.
  • Disliked — We liked everything about it. Only negative was the mediocre buffet breakfast in the cafe.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank btlfan
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

This is the second time I've had to stay at this hotel for work and it's one of the worst places I stay for business. Rooms are dated and gross - they just feel dirty. Hotel towels all smell like coffee - maybe they store them in the same place? Pillows are NOT down - to get just one down pillow you need to call the front desk and request one and usually they are out. Hallways are dark, faded and smell of icky must. The only positive is the hotel offers free wireless internet. That is it!

• Liked — Free wireless internet
  • Disliked — Everything else - rooms, service, cleanliness of property
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

This Holiday Inn could not sort out their billing and correctly charge the room to the corporate card my company had used. In spite of several calls from my company, and multiple assurances during my stay, at check-out, and after my departure that the charge had been corrected, I still have a charge on my personal card.

The restaurant is also currently under renovation and almost never open.

• Liked — The event I was attending was held in the hotel.
  • Disliked — The billing screw-ups.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn with a bus tour. We were very pleased with the Holiday Inn. It was clean and in a good area for restaurants and walking around at night. It was also a great location to get to New York City every day. We definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2008