“Avoid This Property!”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
San Francisco, California
“Avoid This Property!”
Reviewed January 24, 2009

This is the second time I've had to stay at this hotel for work and it's one of the worst places I stay for business. Rooms are dated and gross - they just feel dirty. Hotel towels all smell like coffee - maybe they store them in the same place? Pillows are NOT down - to get just one down pillow you need to call the front desk and request one and usually they are out. Hallways are dark, faded and smell of icky must. The only positive is the hotel offers free wireless internet. That is it!

• Liked — Free wireless internet
  • Disliked — Everything else - rooms, service, cleanliness of property
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Boston
Reviewed August 29, 2008

This Holiday Inn could not sort out their billing and correctly charge the room to the corporate card my company had used. In spite of several calls from my company, and multiple assurances during my stay, at check-out, and after my departure that the charge had been corrected, I still have a charge on my personal card.

The restaurant is also currently under renovation and almost never open.

• Liked — The event I was attending was held in the hotel.
  • Disliked — The billing screw-ups.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn with a bus tour. We were very pleased with the Holiday Inn. It was clean and in a good area for restaurants and walking around at night. It was also a great location to get to New York City every day. We definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Tom F
Kanata, ON
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We couldn't book any hotels in New York City, so decided to book in Secaucus for a night and were glad that it wasn't for a longer stay. The hallways smelled absolutely horrible, the rooms were dirty and in need of a serious makeover. The internet dropped the connection almost every 5 minutes and to top it off the geniuses at the front desk booked someone into my room, so someone walked into my room with an issued room key. Lucky I was in my room or I could have lost all my baggage.

The location is pretty good for a daytrip into the city through the Holland or Lincoln tunnels. The only good thing about the hotel was the valet service (only $8) and the great service that went along with it. Avoid this property if possible.

• Liked — Good valet service, proximity to New York City
  • Disliked — Front desk, dirty rooms, shabby property
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Iowa
Reviewed July 25, 2008

After booking and prepaying this hotel, I found the trip advisor website and read many bad reviews. However, we enjoyed our stay there very much. The hotel has an excellent location to get away from the busyness of New York after spending each day there. There are many great restaurants within walking distance and the bus ride to and from New York each day was relaxing. We found the hotel to be clean and the staff to be helpful. It was a great place to stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Gothenburg
Reviewed July 6, 2008

The hotel was ok. It´s very large and feels a bit empty and quiet. I had a really large room, unecesserely big actually. But i have no complains about the room, it was big and clean.
I thought the location was terrible. It feels like it´s situated in nowhere. There is nothing to do around the hotel exept to eat. There´s alot of restaurants around. New york city is not far away, a quick busdrive if you go in the mittle of the day but if you go in rusch hour it can be a very very long busdrive and it´s absolutley not worth the dollars you save by staying outside the city.
Nice and helpful staff and good breakfast choises but because of location i will not stay here again.

• Liked — Big clean room and helpfull staff
  • Disliked — Location!
  • Stayed July 2007
Ohio
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I never actually stayed at this hotel..but PLEASE read why. I booked this reservation with the reservation line people. I asked for the AAA rate. They gave me a very reasonable rate quote. I asked for the 24 hr hold so I could verify my travel plans. When I called back the next day to confirm my reservations, I was again given the same rate although I asked for verification this was a AAA rate. The person confirmed I had been given the best rate they had. After I had given my credit card number and hung up, I started feeling uneasy about the words "given the best rate" and remembered several reviews I had read where customers complained of being charged much more than they were quoted. So I called back and asked WHAT determined the rate I was given and the desk clerk said, "your employee discount." After investigating further, the rate I shouldve been quoted was 3X as high! I immediately cancelled my reservation. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!! Its quite a scam they have going and I intend to report them to the Better Business Bureau.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family