“The worst place ever”

Holiday Inn Secaucus Meadowlands
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed January 29, 2008

I'm traveling often nowadays and staying in all kinds of places. But this hotel was the worst - EVER!

Everything that can be broken - was broken. Almost got electrocuted by the power outlet. The water tap just flew away the second I touched it. No internet (yet it was advertised). TV was broken and finally carpet was filthy. I guess you can talk to management and they could fix some stuff, but I’m not there in order to argue, I just need an OK room…

I appreciate the fresh air, well in the beginning of the January having the windows wide open is just wrong, it took me an hour to warm up the room.

The air in the room so dry it is not even funny; you touch anything you get static.

I have been to places which are 1/3 of the price and everything just fine. I still don't understand why I had to pay so much for this one?!?! There are about dozen hotels on the same street.

Bottom line, I'm never staying in this hotel - even for free!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank KINGDiamond

Reviewed January 11, 2008

Early December I decided to take my mum to New York - neither of us had been before.

I intially wanted to stay in Manhattan, but after checking out very heavily inflated prices for mid December at hotels in this area, I decided to look for something a bit further out - but with easy access to NYC.

I booked this hotel for less than half the price of some very shabby looking hotels in Manhattan. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who gave us maps and info on the area, our room was very comfortable, slightly dated bathroom, but cannot complain at the price we paid - the room itself was large and spotlessly clean.

There is a bus stop right outside the hotel, you can buy a return ticket into NYC from the hotel gift shop for about $7 per person. We dropped our bags and headed straight into NYC, the bus dropped us at Port Authority right behind Times Square - it was totally hassle free.

Most evenings we returned to the hotel around 10pm - after very long days of sightseeing and shopping, we would then drop off our things and head around the corner of the hotel to Chilli's bar and restaurant - where the food and drink was great and the service was fantastic.

There are a few bars/restaurants to choose from within the vicinity of the hotel, so more than enough choice for a 4 / 5 night trip.

Breakfast at the hotel was buffet style scrambed eggs, deep fried bacon, potato chips, pancakes etc, bottomless tea, coffee and juice all for about $13

There is a Walmart within 10 minute walk of the hotel - to stock up on bit and peices needed throughout your stay, the designer outlet was approx 10 mins in cab from hotel.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting good accommodation at a great price, or travellers such as myself who was happy to spend 15 mins on a bus and then the whole day in the city - then head back to a comfortable hotel away from the hustle and bussle.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2007

Firstly, let me start by saying what a great location this hotel is in. The bus (#320) takes you right from the Holiday Inn to the Port Authority Bus Terminal just off 42nd Street for about $3.00.

However, that is really where the positives stop. We arrived at the hotel late in the evening (23h00 ish) expecting there to be some form of room service. Unfortunately, room service stops at 22h00 and the best they can do is give you a takeaway menu for a local burger joint (not great if you are a vegetarian). This would have been a small hassle if it had been the only problem, but it wasn't. The hotel itself looks like it was built in the early eighties, and I don't think it has been modernised or cleaned since the opening day. The dust in our room was deep enough to write in (!) and the carpet was covered in stains. The bathroom was disgusting, with other peoples hairs all over the floor. We brought this to the attention of the desk staff who said that they would ask housekeeping to thoroughly clean our room. It turns out that 'thorough' must have a very different meaning the USA as when we arrived back at our room after a long day, it was still filthy! We tried to move hotels, but unfortunately December is a very busy time in New York, so we had to put up with the Holiday Inn for another three nights. Oh, and for the Brits who are reading this, there are no kettles in the room (just coffee machines) so ou have to heat up water in the microwave (!) and provide you own tea and milk.

This hotel was our last stop in an around-the-world trip, and I must say it was the worst place we have stayed in (even worse than some of the so-called hotels in Thailand). I'm not sure who wrote the other reviews for this place, but I would take them with a rather large pinch of salt.

Caveat emptor!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank John T
Reviewed November 6, 2007

This lovely hotel is a short bus ride to New York City.Excellent service,wonderful big double beds refreshing after a hard days touring, helpful with any complaints that might occur such as our toilet kept flushing and within a few minutes of asking for it to be fixed,an apologetic repairman was there and although it took two short visits which they apologised for ,and gave each of us (there were two of us) a complimentary voucher for a buffet breakfast for each of us.
Bus transport is right out the front of the hotel and it is amongst small shops where inexpensive meals can be purchased,I liked the Chinese take away menu, and also there are restaurants and shopping outlets close by.This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, and I have done some travelling and the price was wonderful considering it was such a short distance to the New York City.After the first bus ride it is easy and if not sure just ask, the desk staff & the bus drivers were so helpful.
Only two little problems,getting to the hotel should be arranged through Newark airport using Viator.com (very good price)will only get you dropped off at the Port Authority(a central bus station within New York, and although we had enormously heavy bags we managed to get to the hotel by bus.If you are the one organising the flights and also departure, would be better from Newark Airport as well ,as the taxi fare to the hotel would be much less than the $US100 to JFK, arranged by the hotel which we used only because my partner had the flu and we did not want to go into New York again. And I could find nothing cheaper.
You do have a choice ,if you are light on luggage you can take the bus to the Port Authority and catch the airport train to JFK which is very inexpensive.Would stay there any time I return to New York.

3  Thank wish403
Reviewed October 24, 2007

We stayed at this hotel because it is only 4 miles from NYC and doesn't have a $500 a night rate like most hotels in manhattan. This hotel has many restaurants and stores right in the same plaza. You walk out the door and there they are, unlike other places in jersey where u have to drive to get anywhere. The room was very clean and the staff was very nice. I will definitely stay there again when I go to NYC.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank eriickah
Reviewed August 22, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for 8 days and found the hotel to be an ideal spot to stay for Manhattan. We didn't fancy the bustle and noise of NYC all day and night so found this to be the best of both worlds.

Breakfast was simple but the service was excellent and the trip into the Port Authority was so easy and a great view of the Manhattan skyline every morning on the approach to Lincoln Tunnel. The fare was cheap - less than £2 each way and the service was regular as clockwork.

Area very quiet and peaceful with restaurants nearby.

If we come to New York again, I'm sure we will stay here again

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Durry
Reviewed July 22, 2007

OK hotel. The location was chosen based on the New Jersey 320 bus that picks up out front and takes you into NYC to the Port Authority terminal near Times Square for about $3.20USD. The driver will make change for you but I would suggest getting your return ticket at the same time to make it easier.

The room was clean and was pretty standard with a desk and chair along with a combo TV dresser unit. The beds were comfortable although we wanted 2 queens they apparently only have doubles. the pillows are foam so not that great. The parking is located a short walk away on the top level of the garage so if it's hot make sure that you don't have anything in the car that's going to melt.

Several restaurants are nearby (walking) including a Starbucks. A Wallmart is a long walk or quick drive for any supplies you may need or have forgotten.

Free internet with good signal strength and fast speed. The breakfast was good - kids eat free from the buffet and we ordered off the menu as it was 1/2 the price of the buffet.

Three hotels are all with in the same long block and are about the same price: Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn and AmeriSuites. There's a convention center located just across the street so availability can be an issue depending upon what's going on.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family