“not bad but not as good as review”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Secaucus - Meadowlands
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Condition of Hotel - definitely not a 4 star hote. The hotel is ok, it's decent, but not luxurious. The general hotel conditions need some update. The room/bedding/carpet/bathroom are old.

Convenience - no doubt the bus stop across the street takes you to Manhattan. But it brings you only to the bus terminal. If you only want to shop at Macy's then that's great. If you want to go anywhere else (ground zero, soho, etc.) you need to take the subway. Next time when i go to NYC I will probably stay at another hotel that is close to subway as opposed to bus stop.

Friendliness of Staff - I guess in general ppl just aren't so friendly at NY? The breakfast was great, but the server were speaking to us in Spanish (I'm visibly Asian) and in a rude tone (had no idea what she was saying).

Shuttle from Hotel - we saw some shuttle buses outside of hotel and asked if they would take us to the subway. The front desk said yes, and the driver said yes. But instead, it took us to a train station, and the train only took as as far as where the bus would take us. At the end, we wasted half an hour getting to the train station where we could have just taken the bus across the street!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,467)

Reviewed November 7, 2008

Excellent hotel. Very good room. Excellent atrium design, makes you feel safe and I wonder why more hotels don't do it.

A cheap bus to NYC leaves regularly from across the street and drops you back about 50 yards from the front door. I would not want to stay in NYC now that I now know how east the trip is.

A point on the bus for first timers....the bus you need to take from Port Authority station is number 320 but do not go to stand 320....go to stand 231, the stand numbers do not correspond with service numbers.

The only minus point about the hotel itself is the loud mouthed and opinionated bar server. He loudly used the Lords name in vain and criticised a fellow staff member for requesting Sunday off. Yes it is America and freedom of speech is guaranteed but this is, I think, inappropriate.

Apart from this I can wholeheartedly recommend the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank GotaFamilyNow
Reviewed November 7, 2008

This was our second time staying at this hotel. The first time was a year ago and overall we were quite happy. This time however, we had to be moved because the televisions were not working. Once we were moved to our new room, I noticed that it was not kept very clean. The worst part about it was the mold in the shower. I called the front desk and informed them and asked them to remove the curtain liner (it was filthy). They did not apologize for this but they did remove the curtain. The mold was not cleaned from the rest of the shower though. The breakfast quantity was good however everything that they cooked had a strong taste because of the oil that they used. The best part about this hotel was it's close proximity to Manhattan. It takes about 12 minutes to get into mid-town and the New Jersey bus stop is right across the street. I would definately stay in this area again but would choose another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2008

This is a typical ES except for one thing. The managers reception is basically a farce. You recieve a coupon for one drink and have to pay for more than that. State law. I know this really shouldn't be a big deal but If I had known that before I booked it may have made a difference.

I was here for work in Jersey, rented a car and didn't go into the city. Most of the hotels in Secaucus are a good move if the city is what you are doing. I actually could have booked the HGI times square for $229 on the Hilton site, so don't just assume that this is the cheaper option. Breakfast was typical of ES.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank CarlHott
Reviewed October 8, 2008

First I have to say that I am a finicky hotel consumer. I like hotels that are spacious, ultra clean and offer lots of extras. My opinion... I love this hotel and this is why....it is in Secaucus NJ so it's half the price of an NYC hotel with all the benefits of being in the suburbs. It is in an upscale business park that is surrounded by a shopping center with a Wal-Mart and Sams club, TJ MAX and Kohl's and Outback steak house. We love the conveniences of all the nearby stores since we are traveling with kids. I'm writing this review from the bed of our hotel room, and can see the Wal-Mart out our window. Travel to the city isn't difficult but isn't seemless either. We took the bus this morning and were told by the front desk it would be a 20 minute trip into town, we hopped on the 7:20 bus and arrived Port authority at 7:51 am so expect it to take 30-35 minutes to get into NYC. We hopped a metro train to our destination at Columbus Circle and arrived at our destination about 8:15. We had two adults and two children and it was $9.00 one way. We returned from Manhattan today by the NJ Transit Secaucus Junction Train which we picked up at 34th street. Secaucus Junction is the first stop on the route so it took us 14 minutes by train and again it was $9.00 one way. The only drawback to the train was that we had to take a $15.00 taxi from the Secaucus station to Embassy suites. The Embassy suites does NOT provide a shuttle to and from the train station, a few miles away... the only major flaw we've found in service so far. I took notes as we came home in the taxi and we plan to drive to the train station for the rest of our 10- day stay. This Embassy suites is in a very clean and safe professional park with free self parking in an adjacent parking garage. I would recommend following the hotel's direction we had a little trouble finding it relying on our vehicle's GPS system.
One other bit of information you might want to know is there is a spa next door that provides massages and facials and other services. Stay away from rooms ending in 09 ie: 309(near vending and ice machines) and 23 or 24 ie: 323 324 (directly off of the elevators.) This hotel also offers a free made to order breakfast and room service until midnight. Happy traveling! Oh our rate was wonderful at $238

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank travelmom4u
Reviewed October 6, 2008

If you are about to come to NYC and don't want either the cost or madness of staying in Manhattan, consider Secaucus. We found it great to explore the city by day and retreat to an oasis of calm at night. Secaucus is a great area just over the Hudson River, something like 40 minutes by bus into the heart of NYC. We really enjoyed the safe, resort-like atmosphere and the Embassy Suites are very comfortable. Nice roomy suites, plenty of choice at breakfast and a cozy bar area where they have one free drink and a $1.50 happy hour every evening. Nice restaurants right outside the hotel and a Wal-Mart and other shops within walking distance. The pool area is a bit drab as other reviewer mentioned, we didn't use it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bognor
Reviewed September 2, 2008

As I sit here on a cold September night which may be the start of our long wet winter I look back at the hotel we stayed in last June. I picked this hotel based on the reviews on TripAdvisor something I always do when booking over the internet. I have to say I agree with all the reviews about this hotel.
I found the staff very helpful but not intrusive. The room was lovely, the bed was so comfy I found it hard to get out in the morning but having travelled all the way from Ireland staying in bed was not an option, anyway we would have missed the brekki which was just great. There was a wonderful selection of food hot and cold, an ideal start for the long day walking around the city. I warn you be up on time or you go hungry.
The bus into NY stops outside the hotel and leaves you a short walk away from Times Square, The journey only takes about 20mins except during rush hour. The rooms are spacious with 2 TV's. I found the computers in the lobby very helpful to stay in contact with home and never had any problem getting access to one.
We were never back in time for the manager's special but would go into the bar and finished our night with a drink where we enjoyed the company of some very nice people.
I Iwould not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone as I enjoyed my stay and found the staff very helpful at all times.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family