“excellent hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Secaucus - Meadowlands
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed October 5, 2011

stayed here with my husband and son and we thought it outstanding. The location and the price are excellent, the bus stops outside the hotel and you are in the city within 20 mins and when you consider the price of Manhattan hotel rooms it is much better value to stay here. The complimentary breakfast is good although it is advisable to be early to avoid the rush. The only small issue we had was the pull out sofa was a bit uncomfortable for our young son due to the springs but when I alerted the front desk the situation was very quickly and pleasantly resolved. We would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Wishfultraveller23
Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Pros- Great service, beautiful hotel, clean, suites were large and amazing, free drink coupon daily and free breakfast voucher daily. Great location to strip mall, restaurants, right across from Walmart and major movie theater. In walking distance of so much intertainment. I loved it!! I have no clue why anyone would give it terrible rating.. it felt like a first class hotel to me and I travel alot on business!

Cons-I would have given this a 5 star however I took off a point for no free internet in the rooms. For such a classy hotel, I would have expected at least free internet in the rooms!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing.. one bedroom king suite had separate room for sofa and flat screen tv.. m...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel at a good location. Rooms are clean & comfortable. There are lovely restaurants within walking distance & shopping not far away. Breakfast is of choice but for me, chef could be better.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank gencle
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stay at this hotel often on business. It's mostly a typical Embassy Suites. The rooms are large, clean, quiet and comfortable. I think the beds are very nice. This chain is great for families as there's always a pull out bed in the living room for the kids. The staff here are very friendly and helpful. There are a wide assortment of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. It's a great location just outside NYC. There is a bus stop right across the street where you can catch the 320 bus directly to the Port Authority in mid-town Manhattan. The busses come by about every 10 minutes. You're also a short drive away from Giants stadium.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Stayed at this hotel with family of 4, hotel is old and poorly run. The sofa bed mattress has tears in it and the support springs on the bottom were missing. We called the front desk to report it and asked for roll away beds. The employee that brought the roll away beds acted very indifferent and to top it off, the roll away beds were awful, the springs could be felt throughout the bed. The next morning I spoke to the front desk and they said an engineer would repair the spring and replace the mattress so we went off to enjoy our day in Manhattan. When we returned, we found that all they did was place a second mattress on top of the first mattress and now we couldn't even close the sofa bed, very inconveinent. I called the front desk and asked for a room with two beds and was told none were available. I then went down to the front desk and told them it's not acceptable and that I was considering cancelling the rest of my stay. The gentleman behind the desk told me he would see what he could do and after checking for about 5 minutes was able to find me a another room.
The carpets in the room were dirty, the maid didn't replace the moisterizer or conditioner in the bathroom, we had to ask. The carpets in the lobby were also very dirty, no upkeep in this hotel at all.
Lastly, we made the mistake of eating one night in the hotel restaurant. There is no one to greet you, just a sign with the hours of operation. The restaurant was practically empty, only one other party. We sat down and waited for a server to bring us menus. After we ordered, we waited over 45 minutes for our food while the server disappeared. I had to complain to the front desk before our server came out to apologize that they were under staffed and got hit with room service and etc, etc. Not acceptable

1  Thank tc8288
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our 15 year old daughter wanted to experience the sights and sounds of NYC. We were on a tight budget and in our search we were looking for a nice hotel at a reasonable price. Most of the hotels in NYC are $300.00 + per night with the nicer ones well above $400/night. We have stayed at Embassy Suites in our travels allot as they offer a nice room and full breakfast as part of your stay and this one was a typical Embassy Suites property.

The positives to staying here was the close proximity to NYC, NJ Transit bus stop across from the hotel, a courtyard type of grouping of offices, hotels, shopping, theatre, and restaurants location. All including a walmart were within a short walk from the hotel. Our nightly price for staying here was $189/night plus tax so just from a price point we were already $100/night on the plus side but it cost $7 per person round trip by NJ Transit bus to go into NYC. Still on the plus side.

Front desk service was very good and the employees I talked with were all couteous and helpful. Reaction to complaints were handled quickly and professionally. Room quality and cleanleness were all good and typical Embassy Suites expectation.

The negatives for the hotel and room were the following

- The pool was like getting into the hot tub as far as water temperature was concerned. We and other guests complained but to our knowledge nothing was done to resolve the issue.
- The breakfast bar was poorly staffed as food availability was not checked as often as it should have been leaving many items out and guests waiting.
- They only staffed one cook for the cook to order items causing a long line and a long wait for food
- For the volume of guests that were at the hotel during our stay, there did not seem to be enough chairs and tables for guests to eat their meal at
- The managers special had no variability of snacks each night during our stay. Each night was nachos and trail mix. To some this is fine but to others like us having something different would have been nice.
- Our room AC was not working very well and during our stay it was very hot outside. Even with the fan on high and the thermostat as low as it could go we were hot and uncomfortable. We called the front desk and reported the problem and a technician came up and did some work on it but very little changed.
- There was no airport transportation service and no transportation service to NYC which were disappointments to us.
- Mattress in the bedroom was like sleeping on a preverbial "rock" and both my wife and I woke up to backaches each day.
- Our 15 year old slept on the sofa bed and her experience was not much better with the mattress. In her case every spring and metal support was easily felt by your body.

This hotel overall was just OK and the location was the high point for us but there were several other hotels within the same complex. If I were to go to NYC I would stay in Secaucus again but would give other hotels a more serious look given my experience with THIS embassy suites. I am a happy Embassy Suites customer overall but this location needs some improvement.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
pinalfrank, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Secaucus - Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel from a recent stay. Your feedback is very important to us as it is this information which allows us to better serve our guests. Please be assured that all of your comments are being shared with the entire management team of our hotel and the areas of concern are being addressed.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you how much pride we take in everything we do in an effort to provide unsurpassed service to all of our guests.

Looking forward to serving you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Pinal Frank

Reviewed August 20, 2011

My nephew and I both booked the Embassy Suites, 255 Plaza Drive in Secaucus New Jersey from Aug. 6-10, 201. He was originally going to book both our rooms for our entire stay and attempted to do this online. For some reason on the Hilton Honours site he was prevented from doing so? He could only book me a room for Saturday, Aug. 6th only. He called me right away and I then had to attempt to book my own room for Sunday Aug 7th. through the Wednesday, Aug10th. I was charged $219.00 US a night compared to the $161.00 Cdn he booked his room for? We both used our h-honours passwords and PINs? These rooms were booked within minutes of each other. When I contacted Hilton Honours they said it was out of their control and there was nothing they could do and blamed the local hotel? Glad to see they are in control of their own hotel chains? The local hotel would not do anything either stating the price is time sensitive? what a Croc!. Be aware as the rates seem to change constantly with Hilton. Their guarantees of the lowest rates is nothing but BS. I will make sure to avoid booking with any Hilton hotel in the future. Don't take kindly to being ripped off. Times are tough and their is plenty of competition out there.