“Convenient, clean, comfortable, but deceptive booking and poor service”

Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Rutland, VT
“Convenient, clean, comfortable, but deceptive booking and poor service”
Reviewed January 1, 2007

A good location for visiting Manhattan at half the cost of a room in the city. We booked two rooms by phone and were assured that a rollaway bed could be provided in a room with two queen beds. I called to confirm the night before, however, on arrival we were told the rollaway could not be provided due to fire regulations. I regard this as a deception by Courtyard - other hotels I had called were more honest about the number of beds their rooms could take - in future I will be calling them first.

Also part of our reservation was a request for a crib. This was not provided when we asked at check in nor when we called later in the evening.

The bus (NJ Transit line 320) stops right outside and costs $5.70 round trip to the Port Authority bus terminal a few blocks from Times Square. The Amerisuites, Embassy Suites and Holiday Inn are served by the same bus, have similar rates and are slightly closer to the city.

The area is well developed and seems safe.

• Disliked — Deceptive booking practice, poor service
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank VTPikey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2006

My wife and I are frequent travellers to NYC. We discovered the Secaucus Courtyard as an excellent alternative to the much higher priced hotels in NYC. A comparable room in Manhattan would easily be twice the cost or more. The bus ride into Port Authority is about 20 minutes, the bus stop is just outside the hotel, and bus service is reliable and inexpensive. A nice comfortable place to stay with good conveniences and services!

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Not in the heart of NYC
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard R
Czech Republic
Reviewed September 27, 2006

This hotel was excellent choice for $109 / night + tax. I have stayed there for expo taking place in Jacob Javits. Bus stop right outside the hotel takes 15-20 mins (5.70 return trip) to Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT). Then it was 10 min walk to Jacob Javits. Surprisingly, bus was more on time during weekday morning peak hours as it has special lane through the tunnel. I had to wait about an hour inside PABT for delayed bus on Sunday afternoon because buses got stocked in high traffic coming to PABT. However, the bus driver said that it does not happen too often.

Hotel is clean, 100% smoke free, beds comfy, nice bathrooms, free wifi - just what I was expecting from courtyard. Good thing is that there are plenty of restaurants near hotel, two in the building and plenty in 5-10 mins distance. The area itself around the hotel is also quite ok, though it got somewhat crowded before the Jets-Patriots game one day. If you fly in and out, you do not need a car. I had one but only used for transportation from and to the airport (would be too much hassle to return it early), otherwise, it was parked in the lot. I had friends staying in different hotel right next to Madison Square Garden for $250/night, but seeing their room, I am glad I have stayed in Courtyard.

Only hassle can be if you are into late night drinking in the city, as I had to rush once to catch the last bus to avoid $45 cab ride.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Honzeek
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Nice hotel. We stayed here to see New York City. The hotel provided a free shuttle to the trains, which we took from Secaucus to Penn Station in New York City (from which point we walked or took the New York subway from place to place). At the end of the day, we called ahead from Penn Station, and the shuttle was waiting for us on the Secaucus side to bring us back to the hotel.

The area around the hotel was safe with a lot of restaurants in walking distance. Free parking in a lot with security was nice.

Hotel staff were very helpful, although we spent minimal time in the hotel. We didn't try the restaurant. The queen sized beds were nice. Room size was average.

Price of the hotel was higher than other cities we visited, but in line with other hotels in the New York area.

I'd stay there again if going back to NYC. Great experience.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank IntermittentTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2006

We stayed here from 06/306 to 06/05/06.

Pros:
Check-in was fast and easy.
Free covered parking adjacent to hotel.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Free Hi-speed wireless internet in rooms.
Close to restaurants/shopping/mall
NJ Transit #320 Bus to NYC stops right outside hotel and whisks you right to the NYC Port Authority Bus Terminal in Times Square!

Cons:
Room seemed clean but was musty smelling
Uncomfortable beds/pillows
No in-room safe

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2006

After researching until I couldn't take it anymore, I settled on the Secaucus Courtyard Marriott. We were going to a NJ Nets games, after reading over a dozen reviews about various hotels in the Meadowland/Secaucus area, I picked this one and I’m glad that I did.

I didn't encounter a single problem other then the low water pressure when I took my shower. The bed and bedding was immaculate, the bathroom was clean and even had a floor mat. I reserved a King room with a sleeper sofa, this room also included a huge workstation and Internet hook-up all set up to go.

Even though they didn’t have any smoking rooms available, I was pleased to arrive at my non-smoking room to find two ashtrays and matches. Overall I would defiantly stay at this hotel again, when I’m in Jersey.

If you are looking for something in your price range and you want what you pay for. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2006