“Pretty cool dinosaurs at too high a price!”
Review of Field Station: Dinosaurs - MOVED

Field Station: Dinosaurs
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Field Station: Dinosaurs is a thrilling dinosaur expedition featuring 30 life-sized animatronic dinosaurs (including the ninety foot long Argentinosaurus). Meet a 15-foot T-Rex puppet, enjoy our new 3D movie and see the park come to life with dinosaur wranglers and troubadors at this interactive outdoor adventure in New Jersey's Overpeck Park.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Most of the other reviewers are on target. My wife and I took our soon to be 6 year old grandson and his 9 year old brother. $10 parking and $96 for the 4 tickets left us out $106 very quickly. If we had been able to get the tickets half price on Living Social it would be been more acceptable. The dinosaurs are quite realistic and the setting is very good. I liked the fact that the dinosaurs seems to be set in a quarry with high grasses and trees that seemed to match the prehistoric setting. Althought the dinosaurs are adequate and move their heads and tails a bit, our grandchildren were bored very quickly. $3 for a hot dog OK, $3 for bottled water not OK. The 6 year old said his $5 hamburger was the best he'd ever had, but I think he was trying to salvage something from a place he wanted to escape. You could go to Space Farms and see actual animals for under $15 each and have a whole day of it. Advice: if you need to use the bathrooms, use the ones right before you go into the park. They are in a trailer and are a bit normal. The portapotties were smelly and dirty. More advice: Bring your own food and beverages to have a picnic there. They do have tables. Try to park in the shopping complex right before Field Station. We did not do this, but upon leaving we saw that others were doing this. This is especially good on Sunday when this area appeared closed. This park is probably best for children from 2-5 years old. The young people working there are very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

It was ridiculous how much the tickets cost, $48.00 for one adult and a 3 y/o. Horrible parking conditions. You pay $10.00 and are told to "park anywhere", it was very unregulated. Filthy, filthy disgusting bathrooms. Porta-potty's that were way overdue to be cleaned. Exhibits were cheesy. Very disappointed,

1  Thank janicelboss
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Excellent day! My two sons, friend, her daughter and niece and nephew visited Field Station Dinosaurs - ages 5, 6, 7, 9 and 15. What a cool place to visit. I ordered tickets online at Living Social for half the price. It was like a zoo for Dinosaurs. They had educational tents all around which the kids found interesting and fun. Even mom learned a thing or two! Was really cool looking at the lifesize dinosaurs with the Manhattan skyline in the back.

Didn't order food there, I usually bring a cooler with me wherever I go. You are allowed to carry one in. Food was a bit pricey and not much of a selection. Make sure you wear sneakers, as pathways were all dirt and gravel. Also, $10.00 parking fee which they could of done without.

Overall a great experience!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

It was the most beautiful day of the summer and the place was far from crowded. This was nice because we did not have to contend with lines.
Only the heads and tails of the unrealistic plastic dinosaurs moved a bit so not a lot going on with them. My children immediately spotted the machinery boxes that controlled the dinosaurs. Most of the prerecorded dinosaur sounds from nearby speakers made them sound kind of like elephants. While the backdrop of the natural rocks was nice all of the dinosaurs were represented in this backdrop. None were shown with desert backdrops even if that waas their habitat. There were some static displays of camp sites and such which would have been better if they had someone sitting there talking about what goes on at these camp sitesplus theire should have been speakers that told about the dinosaurs as we viewed them. The signs told very little about the dinosaurs. In other words, this was not a realistic learning environment. There were a good amount of employees walking around who were jovial and helpful. Perhaps they could have been stationed in front of each dinosaur to answer questions about them.. They had a show schedule with some different themes and presenters and a guy with an australian accent who was doing a pretty good job as the 'showman'. The highlight in the main show was the 'walking' dinosaur that they brought in. Not an animatronic one and not a real one... you'll see. I won't give it away here.
The food was just ok. and the eating area was filthy. The $4 for italian ices in a 8 oz cup was outrageous. But, the kids wanted them so good bye $12 for dessert.
The place is geared for kids 4- 10 The website should really list what the appropriate ages are. I know that some people will say that "Dinosaurs are cool and fun for all ages" and they are. At the shows the seats were cheaply made, small and they sunk into the ground. I am not heavy and had great difficulty sitting on them On a positive note, the younger kids really got into the shows and were having a good time so there is fun to be had here. But these kids seemed to be in the 5 - 8 year old range. At least the large summer camp group of kids that visited while we were there seemed to be in that age range. Admission is pricey for what you get here. $25 per adult and $20 per kid. Luckily, they were half price on Living Social. $10 is definitely what it should cost, no more. I was surprised when they charged a $10 parking fee to park in a gravel/dirt lot right outside the gate.
They had a 20 minute 3D film in a quonsett hut. It was a low quality film that hardly seemed 3D.
For that they charged an additional $5/person.
All in all, my 3 kids , ages 4-8 had a lot of fun, but they are young and naive. As an adult I saw a place with a good concept that was not carried through. If they put some money into it, and get a few higher quality animatronic dinosaurs, they could make an attraction that people would flock to.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Same as others. Great Dinosaurs, high price. 2 Adults, 3 kids, & parking with a lunch from home hit nearly $100. I'll admit, the dinosaurs were cool. Moving, impressive for kids, reasonably neat atmosphere. Something I've not seen like that before, loved giving my kids that experience and having the photos.

We pushed to be the first ones in (beat the school busses), there were 4 busses in the lot before we got in, 7 when we left. That meant day care groups everywhere, no seating for shows, no tables to eat lunch. We got about 15 minutes ahead of the crowds. The sandbox digging site was nice, yet closed for about 2 hours between each session. Why not have it open 45 min of every hour and cover it back up in between? Overall I got frustrated knowing I spent about $100 for an overpacked, inaccessible park while busses of kids whom probably paid nothing in comparison to what we paid.

So it's a mixed bag. It's not a bad experience, but probably not worth it for the price. That being said, many attractions in NJ are costly with busses of kids. In that light it was ok, loved the photos.