“Unclean Rooms, mediocre staff”

Extended Stay America - Secaucus - Meadowlands
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Upon checking into our rooms, we found our blankets were unclean and littered with hair. We had no hot water our first night nor the next morning. Even after complaining, we had no response until I requested to be moved to another room. While the staff was friendly enough, they had no knowledge of the restaurants near the hotel or how to get to any surrounding stores or restaurants. We were pretty much on our own. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 25, 2009

I got a very good monthly rate from the Sales Manager of Extended Stay, 1 Meadowlands Pky, Secaucus. I am going to complete my 1st month here. I'm here with my wife. A very good place to stay, right on the banks of Hackensack River. Very safe neighborhood, right next to the luxurious Riverside Court Community. The staff are very courteous. We have housecleaning once a week. Best part: we can cook on the stovetops. The room was decent sized, fully furnished. AC worked great. Lotsa parking available for car. And there is a bus stop. Catch a bus that takes you to Port Authority, NYC, from there u can hop onto the NYT or PATH from 33rd Street. Place is driving distance to Secaucus Train Station, and the famous outlet malls. There are places to eat, 5 min walk. We like the place. We are going to stay for a few more months.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank cruciatrix
Reviewed June 6, 2009

First I have to say I stayed here for the first time iin July-Aug & September of 2006.
In December of 2008, I stayed at the Extended Stay America Hotel - LaGuardia in NYC, only because I travelled by air.
I came back to this location May 29-30, because I drove from Miami for the Book ExPo America, and was pleased with check-in-Internet Access-Wakeup call, everthing!

There is a Krause Deli, Dunkin Donuts, Quiznos, Wendys and a liquor store within half a mile. The Deli has great sandwiches, and everything else for snacks.

I have found the Staff to be very professional, courteous, friendly and helpful. The rooms at check in were spotlessly clean. Carmen (Front Desk) was always helpful in getting mail to me immediately. The Housekeeping Staff works hard to keep the rooms and the common areas clean. Extra coffee/sugar were always available. It normally would take fifteen minutes for me to drive into Manhattan.

For the price, this Hotel is the best, and the free parking, security, staff and overall accomodations, including Internet access, this is the best hotel in the area.
I have read some of the "unhappy" reviews above, and I can't believe these people . . perhaps they thought they were checking into The Plaza on 59th. & Fifth Avenue in New York. Some people just can't be pleased, I guess.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank copnovelist
Reviewed May 1, 2009

The location was good, very near to the bus stand, very near to New York also but hte hotel was not very good. No food inside the hotel. Staff not very friendly. In short Location is good hotel is not.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2008

This hotel is an absolute dump. We were visiting NYC and stayed here to save $. We got a decent price on priceline, but it definetly wasn't worth it. It is quite a walk to the bus stop and the train station is 1.5 miles away (with no parking available). The hotel was NOT TAKEN CARE OF. I have stayed in very small, remote hotels before, but this "big chain hotel" was worse. The entire hotel stunk, from the hallways to the rooms. We requested a new room because of the smell, and after a lot of hassle we got the second room which smelled just as bad. Every carpet in the place had stains in it. The only thing that was in the room was clean towels and a bar of soap. House cleaning didn't show up at all during our 2-night stay. Area is decent and staff was fine. I am not picky, but would NEVER stay at this hotel again. Spend a little extra money and stay at the crown plaza right down the street.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank dspags
Manager-PWY, Manager - SEM at Extended Stay America - Secaucus - Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2009

"I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Secaucus - Meadowlands. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Reviewed September 25, 2007

Wow do they have a scam going. They take your credit card, reservation, and send a confirmation but never intend to let you check in (the hotel is nearly always full with long term lodgers due to its convenient location to the Park and Ride in Manhattan).

Instead, the send you five miles down the road to their other hotel, very inconveniently located down a service road in Franklin, New Jersey.

They know you'll never be able to find another room by this time.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank Trvlmm
Reviewed June 12, 2007

I stayed in the hotel for 2 weeks.The rooms are good but the staff and management for the hotel is not.I booked it for 1 week and needed to extend for another week but the lady at the reception asked to vacate as she said the booking is over. She gave 15 minutes to vacate as next person is coming!!
I had to checkout,stay in adjacent hotel and then moved in back again as it is convenient as I can cook as well as bus stop is near to this hotel.
All in all I will say the staff is not very considerate to guest needs.If planning to extend your stay either give them a long notice or plan to move out.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business