Extended Stay America - Secaucus - New York City Area
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
montreal
“Horrible”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Bed stinks, I saw bugs, and the water from the tub is yellowish and gross at the first several seconds. In the room that smells bad. No towels and shampoo. No breakfast, expedia whrite that). You have to pay for internet !!!!! The personnel are rude. Dont go there.....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank samusamuel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Let's cover each issue in the title of the review:

Dated: The worn brown carpet had seen better days, but looked like it hadn't been thoroughly cleaned in a while. In fact, I made sure I never even let my bare feet touch the ground. The old smaller TVs sat opposite older sadder worn furniture.

Dirty: The end table had a sticky liquid on it, just beneath the light fixture. There were cobwebs by the air conditioning system. It was clear that a vacuum hadn't been near that air conditioning unit in weeks. This covers dead bug, but next to the stove on the white formica had an obvious dead husk/body of a spider on it. You just couldn't miss it if you wiped down the counter because it was as large as a thumbnail.

Dank Odor: Turning on the Air conditioner required use of the thermostat, not the controls of the air conditioner. I discovered the cobwebs while looking at the AC controls. When the air conditioner came on, the smell hit you. The room smelled immediately like the scent you smell when a homeless man who urinated on himself walks by you on the New York City subway. This is most likely just a problem with just my unit, but still. At the same time, the room was warm enough that I needed the A/C on.

Dead Bug - I covered that earlier - dead spider on the Formica counter top made it clear that whoever was assigned to clean . . . didn't.

Wake-up call: I set a wakeup call for 6:38 AM - don't ask, I just did. I received that wake-up call at 6:50 AM, from a computerized system that told me it was giving me my wake-up call for 6:38 AM, AND informed me that the current time was now 6:25 AM.

Lets recap that last point: Scheduled for 6:38, arrived 6:49, claimed it was 6:25. Highly irresponsible.

Last few points: The mattress was hard and felt cheap. The sheets didn't even cover the bed - they were stretched only to cover the extreme top part of the mattress - which revealed substantial staining at the corners.
----

To conclude: I am glad I stayed alone. If I had any guest, significant other, or family with me, and not had an exam the next morning, I would have absolutely cancelled my reservation and drove around to find another room.

For $220 a night in New Jersey, this property was below any conceivable expectation that I could have had. I've stayed in places for less than a third the price with better results.

And I didn't even talk about the service at the front desk.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank maybesomeday1
Sorel, Qc, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I decided to go back to Secaucus and stay at his place, mainly because of the bus going to the city right in front of the hotel.
We got there early because we wanted to go the a Yankees game.
Surprise, when we got there the clerk never wanted to check us in, or keep our luggages .
We had to wait until 3 o'lock and then we checked in a room, that we did not like.
We decided to cut short our stay and the next morning we checked out and guess what we had to wait at the desk, wait and wait, the same clerk showed up. Lazy and still not very helpful.
When we were back home, he had made mistakes on our account and charged the room 3 times.
Please go anywhere but there.
Sevice still counts for something in America.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ReneSheridan
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This hotel is well located if you are going to use your own car to drive around New York. It is a short drive from Manhattan (no public transportation in this area). The studio design of the rooms are fine but once you arrive you can tell that the carpet in the halls and the rooms need to be replaced. The bathroom was clean; the room is standard. It is overpriced for it's average-low conditions (approximately $185 with tax a night). It is conveniently located in a plaza with a Starbucks, Walmart or Kmart with plenty of restaurants and parking.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank GegeChong
MA
Reviewed June 19, 2011

On a last minute trip to NYC my choice was here or a $650 room in NYC. Well, I chose the Homestead, soon to be an Extended Stay I believe. Horrible experience and I should have driven home. We had "workers" looking for "work" in the parking lot (if you get me) and rooms that don't deserve rent over $25 an hour.

I kept my bags packed and left everything on the counter for fear of bringing home whatever lived in that room. Stains, smells, sounds and feelings that should not be ignored.

Never again, never again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank alwaysontheroad2008
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Bed stinks, I am worried about bugs after seeing all the reviews, and the water from the tub is yellowish and gross at the first several seconds. No breakfast, internet is slow and they asked for money for internet access!!!!! But the plaza has movie theater, food court, close to Hoboken. There is a Hotel Inn in the same plaza as well.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank eriya
DC Metro area
Reviewed May 19, 2011

The smell of mold greeted me the minute I stepped in the room with carpet that has not been changed since 1970. I never put my bag on the worn sofa or matress or let me bare feet hit the floor. The other guest in our party was given a key to an unclean room so they had to be moved. I was glad I brought long pants and shirt because I would not have wanted any part of my body to touch the bed. I did not sleep well at all on the tihn mattress. I am glad we were in the city most of the day and did not have to spend much time in the room. Room service only comes when it is time to check out but not during the stay. Fresh towels are hard to come by if at all. The best thing about the room was that it was free due to an employee friend because I would NEVER pay to stay at a place that flithy. I am itching just thinking about that place. YUCK!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else