“Just great!”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Brazil
“Just great!”
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I'm from Brazil and last year me and my friend wanted to visit NYC for the first time. After a lot of research, we found the Plaza Motor Inn and decided to risk for it. All I can say is that the bet paid off.
First of all, the staff was super friendly. Chirstine, the receptionist, gave us all the help we requested for during and even before the trip, sending e-mails and being very helpful with tips about public transportation, restaurants and everything else that was nearby.
The rooms (we stayed at the 3rd floor) were great with lots of space. Cleanliness was excellent and we didn't have to worry about leaving our belongs at the room: everything remained there, thanks to great staff they have.
The hotel is very close to manhattan and there is a actual bus stop about a 5 minute walk. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes for the bus to stop at the Port Authority, one block from Times Square. The CVS and the bagel shop were very handy and the neighborhood seems to be pretty safe once we used to arrive at the hotel about 10 pm, after a long day walking in the city.
We use to say that it were the perfect vacations and to save money by saying in this great hotel was certainly part of it.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Quebec
Reviewed March 24, 2009

If you want to stay in NYC for cheap and you only want a room to sleep in, this is probably your best option. Parking is free, and you can walk around the corner and take the city bus into Manhattan. If you're not used to take the city bus (like us, we're from the country), it's a bit stressful to find out where to get off the bus on the way back. The lady there did her best to instruct us on how to find the bus stop.

The rooms were pretty basic and old, but they were large and they had free internet. However they were not the cleanest rooms I've ever seen. The bathroom wasn't the cleanest either. The windows were disgusting.

But it's cheap, probably half the price you would pay on the NY island.

• Stayed September 2008
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2009

This hotel saved us lots of money whilst visiting Manhattan, especially because we stayed between Christmas and New Years. For this reason it was worthwhile, however outside of holiday periods, I'm not sure if it would be as great a saving. The rooms were of reasonable quality and cleanliness. When we first arrived, the light was out in the entrance to a our room and there was food stuck in the bathroom sink. We notified staff in the morning who had this fixed. However, the wireless internet did not work. The night staff gave us a support number to call, however phone calls were blocked for us to call out of our room, and when I called to have this fixed, the said they would fix it, but never did. They said that the wireless didn't work because I was operating on windows vista, however it did work for 5mins on and off. We ended up using internet at the public library in Secaucus which was excellent. Travel time to Manhattan varied from 15mins to 30mins. After midnight, buses back home come less often. The CVS and Bagel Buffet within walking distance were handy.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Wireless didn't work
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnoonEmouse
Atlanta
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We planned a long weekend in New York but wanted somewhere very affordable to stay--I am so glad we found this place. The room was nice and incredibly clean. We were a very short walk from the bus stop to get over to the city. We were also a very short walk from some very nice, quaint restaurants. This was such a cute little town and all of the people were so friendly. Several nights of our stay we didn't get back until well after midnight and I never once felt unsafe or saw any sketchy characters to make me worry about my safety. The people at the front desk were very helpful--they gave us tips about where to eat and gave us info when we were looking for a cab company to use. This is by no means a 5 star hotel---but it is clean, affordable, and safe. If we ever go back to New York I will stay here without a doubt.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank skipjen
WV
Reviewed January 17, 2009

My family and I booked a few days after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. My TOMTOM had difficulty finding the location. Once we found the hotel we checked in for the night. The hotel was dirty and smelly and we checked out after 1 night. The person at the office was very friendly to cancel our reservations for the remaining days. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Spending the extra money for the Hampton Inn at the Meadowlands was well worh it. A commuter bus stopped directly across from the Hampton.

• Stayed August 2008
Bonn
Reviewed November 20, 2008

We were looking for an affordable place close to NYC and this was just great. However, it is not so easy to find, it really is right on the highway and our GPS system could not find the address.
After many tries we finally found it. Our room was quite spacious and clean, though very 70's style. We did not have any noise from the highway, though the neighbours next door were easy to hear.
The woman at the reception, Christine I think, was very helpful in recommending a restaurant and calling a taxi for us. She also gave us a bus plan for the next day to NYC. The bus ride was short and easy, once we found the right bus stop. There are a few different ones at the nearby plaza, we needed to ask around until we found the right one. It seems to change depending on the time of day. The bus ride back was very easy and just a short walk to the hotel and we felt quite safe.
All in all, it seemed like a great price for the location and I would stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Trying to find it
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I stayed here for 7 nights and had a really good stay.
When i initially went into the room i did notice it smelled a bit musty and was pretty much clean except if you looked too closely, like at the side of the air conditioner. Still we had clean sheets and towels everyday so it felt clean enough and once the room had been inhabited for a day or so the smell was almost gone.
The staff were really helpful and do watch out for the safety of thier guests, even calling me in the room in the middle of the night because there was a "strange man" trying to get into my room. The strange man was actually my boyfriend but it felt good to know they were paying attention.
The location was great, there is a bus into the city a 2 min walk away, a liquor store (important for me), cvs and a number of restaurants.
There is a fab italian bakery just around the corner and plenty of places for a quick bite.
There is also a cinema 5 mins away and some bigger stores like walmart and kohls in the same place. Also a few bars close by

• Liked — location and free wi fi in the room
  • Disliked — grubby scruffy rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank toothfairyindia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Secaucus
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands
Holiday Inn Secaucus Meadowlands
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#2 of 3 in Carlstadt

Been to Rodeway Inn Meadowlands? Share your experiences!