“Find a Room Elsewhere”

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I've rarely been in a position where I feel compelled to write a review warning fellow travelers. I've stayed at my share of hotels that range from the affordable to the upscale.

The photos that I have seen on the review sites do not reflect the actual rooms. I'm skeptical as to who may have written excellent reviews of this place.

In my experience, when you walk into a hotel/motel and the "lobby" consists of being greeting by someone behind bullet proof glass, that should be enough warning. When I checked in, I specifically asked "Does my room have a Jacuzzi?" The reply "Yes, a hot tub." None of the rooms that I saw had a hot tub. They were shallow, regular bathtubs. The room I finally wound up in had mildew in the corner of the tub.

I had to be put into three different rooms. 1) the first room fronted the highway and the traffic is constant and very loud, so I asked for a room on the back side of the building. 2) the second key did not work in the room so in honesty I never saw the interior 3) at the end of the hall, many of the doors looked like they had been kicked in (cracks on the frames, bottom half of the door dented in.) The entry lights did not work so I had to feel my way around in the dark to the bathroom. The light did work there as did the one near the bed.

The hallways reeked of the distinct scented mixture of curry and skunk-weed. The clientele is nefarious. The walls are paper thin, as I could clearly hear the exact conversation from the people in the next room, when they stopped and started their shower, along with every toilet flush and change of television channel, every squeak of their bed and ooh and aah of their "romantic interlude" until after 3 a.m.

As for the sheets on the bed, I hoped they were clean, however in the morning on the opposite side where I slept, when I pulled back the blanket, someone had drawn some type of cartoon in blue ink on the sheet. Although the carpet was vacuumed, there were many stains on the floor.

The bathroom did look like it had new toilets and cabinets, but when you open the cabinet, it's only a facade because you'd be abe to see the old tiles and pipes, etc.

Perhaps there is a part of this hotel that has been renovated, but I certainly didn't see it. Usually, I can find at least one redeeming quality in every place I stay. The man behind the glass in the morning, he smiled. The breakfast was typical cold continental breakfast with cereals and breads. Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel with any amount of confidence.

Room Tip: I can't recommend that you stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank PhotoJourney
nikita g, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Clean, small but comfortable rooms, friendly staff and a perfect location to the Metlife Stadium. I might choose this one for the Super Bowl 2014. It is close and very efficient on my gas considering it is only five minutes away. I was lucky to find this convinient spot to rest.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank EricP2000
nikita g, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for choosing HOTEL for your recent stay. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We've stayed here a couple of times and it's ok,friendly staff, the rooms were big and serviced well with clean towels every day and the location is very good for going in to NYC, a bus stop very close. The rooms could do with a little attention, carpet a little old & grubby and some furniture a bit shabby but apart from that, fine, very comfortable. I didn't have the breakfast, just coffee which isn't very strong so if you need a good caffiene hit try the gas station next door, theirs is great!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
nikita g, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have stayed here at the Rodeway Inn twice now and have enjoyed our stays. The Rodeway is close to the centre of town and the bus stop to get to the city is a 5 minute walk away. The staff are really friendly and helpful. We will stay here again

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were ok
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
nikita g, Manager at Rodeway Inn Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I spent 3 nights at the Rodeway Inn in Secaucus NJ. I had made the reservation through booking.com and although they advertised the rooms at an average rate of 129$/night, they charged me 199$ plus tax on Saturday night, 129$ for each of the two other nights. So I spent more than expected.

The room had nothing to do with the pictures I had seen online. Furniture and closet door were malfunctioning and old. The rug and the furniture were at least 30 years old. My sister who lives in north NJ came to see me at the hotel and I was ashamed of bringing her to the room.

The walls were as thin as paper as I could listen to every/any conversation going on in the rooms around mine (left, right, upstairs and downstairs from me) and a smell of curry was omnipresent. That was gross.

The good points were reliable wifi and cable, comfortable bed, and free parking and breakfast. But for what I paid, I'd rather stay elsewhere. It wasn't worth what I had to pay

Stayed: October 2013
nikita g, Manager at Rodeway Inn Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Hi All, I was concerned because of the bad comments but believe me this is a good option to save money and having a spacious room #305. I noticed the hotel was renewed too. We spent there 3 nights in a front side room, I think the noise of the highway did not affect us to sleep at all. The king bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was clean, Wifi connection was appropiate. The room had refrigerator, microwave oven, security safe and Cable TV.

The bus stop is two blocks away, you just have to take the bus #190 ( 20min average trip to Manhattam) the fare is $3.20. The return is from Port Authority to Secaucus Plaza Center. As a tip avoid rush hours to take the bus, it is CRAZY the long line at Port Authority Terminal.

The breakfast is simple but enough and fair for the rate you pay, there are also some restaurants, CVS and stores around. The taxi rate from Newark Intl airport to the hotel is $55-$60.

In summary, you can take this option to save money and stay comfortably in a hotel out of Manhattam.

PS. if you're a NFL fan the Giants Stadium is about 5-10 minute drive.

Room Tip: The bus 190's return is from Port Authority to Secaucus Plaza Center. As a tip avoid rush hours...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Luis C R
nikita g, Manager at Rodeway Inn Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Pluses: Generous room size. Room had unadvertised microwave and fridge. Complimentary breakfast is open until 10am every day. Flat screen TV. Free parking. Close to NYC. employees were helpful and friendly. Hotel is next to a very noisy highway. Our room faced away from the highway, but even so I was surprised I didn't hear it in the room.

Cons: Hotel is on a one way access road that can only be accessed from the highway, so to get to it you need to get on the highway heading in the right direction and get off onto the access road and then immediately get off. If you miss the hotel you have to go around and do it all over again. Because the speed on the access road is around 50 mph it feels like you're making a pit stop in a road race. The first time we went to the hotel we totally missed it and had to get back on the highway. We almost missed it the second time around too.

Breakfast area is very small and limited. Not many places to sit. Limited selection of food but did have juices, coffee and water to drink.

Hallways and breakfast areas aren't air conditioned or weren't when we were there and were very warm.

It could take a while to wait for the elevator so I elected to use the stairs a lot.

Beds were too soft and my back bothered me after the 2nd night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side from the highway. Breakfast is served on the 4th floor so I wou...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Michele H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Secaucus
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands
Meadowlands View Hotel
Meadowlands View Hotel
#5 of 9 in North Bergen
Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands

Been to Rodeway Inn Meadowlands? Share your experiences!