“Usually if I didn't have anything nice to say, I'd say nothing - but...”

Rodeway Inn Meadowlands
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My girlfriend and I were originally planning on staying in Jersey City for our overnight vacation to New York City, because of the convenience of being right next to the PATH train as well as other considerations. However, when she got a great deal on this Rodeway Inn, we decided to switch our stay over to Secaucus (as we have stayed in Secaucus before and enjoyed our stay). I would like to preface my review by saying that, as an Assistant Resort Manager of a hotel in my hometown, I always try to point out the good in places I stay while on vacation - however, there is really not much good to point out here.

Our day started off by taking nearly 40 minutes to find the hotel because the instructions are entirely impossible. I didn't realize that by "turn after the Shell station," they meant "drive through the Shell station and annoy the employees who think you're going to get gas, THEN turn and you'll find the hotel." It took two phone calls as well as help from the Shell attendant to get us to Rodeway, which was a bad omen of things to come.

Unfortunately, the Rodeway Inn's definition of "recently renovated" appears to be "renovated sometime in the past 4 or 5 years." The only thing I really can't complain about is the price of the stay - otherwise, I can't think of much good to say. The desk clerks keep a copy of your check-in slip (complete with a stamp of your credit card) right next to the front window where anyone can see them. When I got to the room and discovered that there was no TV remote, I called down and asked if I could come pick one up later as we were leaving for the city and was told that we could. When we returned for the evening, the man at the desk rather rudely told me that he didn't know what I was talking about and that he didn't have any remotes to give me. While I would have liked to spend an hour or so winding down by watching some TV, that option was unfortunately not available to me.

The hallways (at least on my floor) look like someone was possibly murdered in them, and the rooms, while mostly clean, are sparsely useful to say the least. The flat screen TV (which I could not use because I didn't have a remote, and the only channel I could get by changing channels manually was Fox News) had a mess of wires hanging out from underneath it, the ancient entertainment center that at one time held a tube TV was missing a door (which was just left in the closet), there were random cords laying around unplugged...I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

As for the bathroom, the floor seemed dirty (it could have just been the dark colored tile) and I'm pretty sure the shower head they're using was discontinued somewhere around 1982 because I haven't seen one in forever.

All-in-all, while the value was unbeatable and the proximity to public transit into the city was okay, I would not stay here again. I would rather pay over $100 more for a nice hotel in Jersey City than stay in this place again. The difficulty of finding it, plus the unsafe business practices/rude front desk staff, plus the nasty hallways & busted rooms make the Rodeway Inn in Secaucus a hotel to avoid when planning your family's trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank RA8507

Reviewed January 5, 2011

The property on the outside may look like is not much. The hotel underwent a renovation 1 year ago. Lobby is small, but the rooms were all newly redone, extra clean and comfortable. We had a mini fridge, and just next to the elevator a microwave. The ladies in the front desk were awesome. If you have a freindly attitude, they respond the same way. Very helpful with information. Bus 190 takes you to Manhattan in 2o minutes and is around the corner. Shopping strip around the corner with 24 hrs CVS, Bagel place(awesome), pizza place with great chicken wings. Laundromat 2 blocks away. We spent 14 days (Christmas through New Year) and plan to go back in the summer.....

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I was looking for staying one night in NYC and couldn't find anything less than $100.. came across this hotel for $80 (AAA rate + tax).. was not sure about safety in Secaucus/Newark area since we were planning to return late after spending the early night in the city (no car)... read reviews here and elsewhere on the web and wanted to try this place out .. I would say I wasn't disappointed. This is a decent place that is well lit and safe at anytime. It just took a 15-minute-$3.20-fare ride from Port Authority Bus Terminal on NJ Transit Route 190... The lady at the front desk (Ellen) was very friendly and helpful; She was happy to provide information about places to get quick dinner and also the bus schedules for returning to the city.

There is a breakfast place - Bagel Buffet - in the adjacent strip mall that has good assortment of dishes for breakfast. And a pizza place - La Mia Cucina - two blocks away that is open late with decent food and very friendly people.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank svnaa
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights and saw 4 receptionist: all extremely helpful and friendly. The same can be said for the Polish maids and for a handyman setting up a bed. Sure, it's a bit tricky to find, or, rather, easy to miss. Take the Secaucus South Exit on 3E and don't blink: it's just a few yards down the road, sharp right. Extremely good value for money!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gemisto37
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I was going to stay at a different hotel but it ended up not being what we wanted so I called the Rodeway Inn, and they gave me great directions to get to their place. They gave us a cheaper rate just because then gave us tons of recommendations of restaurants and things to do. The next day, we asked one of the staff how to best get to the city and he personally walked us to the bus stop but he wanted to make sure we were pointed in the right direction. He also gave us a schedule of the bus, highlighted where we were and what we would need to get back. Even housekeeping made a point to say hello to us in the morning even though we were at the other end of the hallway. This staff was very friendly and genuinely cared. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to New York City.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank kb99surf
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Never go to this hotel,
you will make 2-3 hours just to find it. I hve never been so stressed in my life to find an address in USA.
Rooms are ok, No exust in bathrooms.
Staff is literally RUDE. other than its close to a bus station that takes you to NY
in 20 mins everything else is useless, take my words.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank AtlantaArthur
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Hotel was fine once I found it. Like a previous reviewing said, my TomTom GPS couldn't figure out where this was. It's location on a freeway service road, immediately after a curve make it nearly impossible to find. The desk clerk finally stayed on the phone with me while I drove. Can't recommend it to anybody who isn't familiar with the area.

It's old, but well maintained. Clean. Lots of traffic noise. Great staff, who like I said stayed with me on the phone and directed me to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Secaucus
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands
Meadowlands View Hotel
#5 of 9 in North Bergen
Meadowlands Plaza Hotel-Secaucus
Extended Stay America - Secaucus - Meadowlands

Been to Rodeway Inn Meadowlands? Share your experiences!