“Just like I remembered... but improved”
Review of Desert Palm Inn

Desert Palm Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Seaside Park
Albuquerque, NM
“Just like I remembered... but improved”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My husband and I had stayed here once a little over 4 years ago (it was our first vacation together), and decided to go back to Seaside Park for our 1st anniversary.
Our first visit was a lot of fun, but with a pretty unimpressive room. It didn't come off as very clean either. But we figured we weren't spending much time in the room anyhow. All in all, at the end of that trip, we had a pretty good time, had no incidents and were treated nicely. All in all, we enjoyed the hotel. We decided if we'd go back to Seaside, we'd go back to the Desert Palm.
So fast forward about four years and we did just that. This time they had remodeled a bit. The room we got this time wasn't carpeted, and the bathroom was remarkably in better shape. I didn't go expecting it to turn into a 5 star hotel. The work they did looked nice.
When I was confirming our reservation prior to our stay, the manager wanted to make sure I knew we only reserved a double bed. I had told him it was adequate, as that was what we had when we stayed before. He seemed really happy to hear we were a returning customer. When we got to the hotel, they upgraded us to a King bed, which we didn't really need, but I thought it was a really nice gesture.
The room had a mini fridge, a microwave and a modest flat screen tv. They definitely made improvements, but it was still the same place we remembered.
You honestly can't beat the perks of this place. The beach badges, the morning breakfast (which is pretty low-key for the most part, but they do have waffles!) and the close proximity to the boardwalk and beach. Plus the pool was clean, which is a lot to say considering how often people were in it.
My best advice to people is to know what to expect. The hotels in this area aren't meant to be luxurious spacious rooms. They are simple rooms to put your stuff while you go enjoy the beach and a bed to sleep off the day's activities. I hope to return to Seaside Park again one of these days, and would stay here again. We've got some great memories here!
The only real downside was having to leave early in the morning, since Hurricane Irene was set to hit the weekend we were leaving. :(

Room Tip: Save the money and just get a regular room rather than the ocean view. The beach is super close, and...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cordium23

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We didn't expect much, having stayed in Seaside Heights in the past, but thought we'd try a hotel in Seaside Park. Although the room is quite small, it was clean and the bathroom looked like it was recently renovated. No carpeting was a plus! Great location, right across the street from the beach! Parking and badges included with stay as is a free breakfast served outside (bagels, donuts, waffles, coffee, orange juice).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank team222
Sparrow Bush, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We choose desert palm inn because is only walking distance go to the beach and all the photos that they posted on their website is all looks nice and sound good. We stayed here 2 weeks before my son's school start as a family vacation, the room we got are very dirty. Dust all over the room specially around the molding, the airconditioner are noisy, the bathroom door are hard to close and open it, mold in the shower area. Sands in the beds and stains ,( I believe they didn't change the beddings at all). We're so very disappointed!!!! We spent 2 nights (that's what we booked online) for this disgusting room. We're not staying here anymore! "TO SEE IS TO BELIEVE"

Travelers are raving about these Seaside Park hotels

Avenel, New Jersey
Reviewed September 2, 2011

my finders and i was planning to give the kids a wonderful vacation before the school so we went to this hotel and take three rooms we went to the room and put our things we change our clothes and went out for the whole day and when we went back we spent the rest of the night in the front of our room with our friends until the kids want to sleep i put the kids in the beds and close the light and went out side to my friends until that moment every thing was fin in despite that the room was dirty and so small we side it is only one night , after one hour one of my friends went to his room to sleep than he come back yelling that the bed was coved with the bed bugs all over it we all was shocked i ran to my kids i found the bugs all over my kids we talk to the manger who was very careless and treat us very bad we talked to a police officer and he side that we should leave immediately and take our money back i had to wake up the kids and give the shower in the middle of their sleeping which was very hard on me and them and the were crying all night because we had to go home they did not understand the reason for all of that .

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank samah s
new jearsey
Reviewed August 19, 2011

As always you are treated with welcome and everyone has always been very accomodating to all needs, whether it is general information of places to see, eat, ets.
Rooms are very very clean and beds are very comfortable. And all the rooms have a good amenities and a very well kept.
The pool is crystal clear, and also they have a very nice breakfast every morning which many of the hotels not provide at jersey shore.
And once again i am very thankful for all the staff member, who work there very hard and keep the place very clean and enjoyable.
So far the " DESERT PALM INN " is there we no need to look at any other hotel at jersey shore. very nice location.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I booked a room thru Travelocity (although I could have used Hotels.com, Expedia.com, etc. because they all listed the hotel). At the time of the reservation, I received a confirmation number from the Desert Palm Inn, so I thought I was set. LESS THAN 24 HOURS before I was supposed to be able to check into the hotel, I got an email from Travelocity indicating that the hotel informed them they have no space to accommodate my reservation. Travelocity called them on my behalf, and the hotel insisted they did not have room EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD GIVEN ME A CONFIRMATION (and my charge card had already been charged for the entire stay!!)!!!

The Desert Palm Inn did not apologize, help find alternative lodging, even offer a discount on a future stay. (Obviously I will be refunded.) Thankfully I wasn't already en route when this disaster happened.

We have family in Seaside Park, so we could have been frequently returning customers, but now I won't be able to trust I'll have a room at the Desert Palm even when I make a reservation!!!

2 Thank Baltimore T
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My cousin and I, along with our four children, ages 15, 12, 8 and 5, rented two rooms at the Desert Palm for our annual girls' trip. We usually stay at the Luna Mar Motel a few blocks away, but couldn't get a room for our dates. We has requested two rooms right near each other. When we got there, they told us thet could give us rooms with one in between because the middle room "had a problem and couldn't be rented." That was fine, close enough for us! Well, the problem was the rooms themselves. They were gross. Let's start with my room. There were stains all over the walls, from people killing bugs (which I didn't realize was the case until I had to kill a few myself later), even shoe marks on the ceiling, broken window blinds that didn't go down, a good 1/4 inch of dirt/dust on all moldings, window sills, AC vents. The doors had gashes and stains all over them and mine didn't close properly leaving enough space for anything crawling to get in. There were rust colored stains on my sheets. There was also a cot, that we didn't use, but that had a filthy looking ripped up foam mattress. My room had a wood floor that had dirt and dust piled in all the corners and behind the bed....gross. My cousin's room had a carpet which was just nasty looking. The same problems regarding wall stains and dirt existed in her room and to add to that, one of her bathroom ceiling tiles was completely covered in black mold. The towels had hair on them. I complained about the filth and was told the rooms would be checked and cleaned while we were out. They were not and we were gone all day. I cleaned up as best as I could with antibacterial wipes and put my daughter to bed that night. The next day, we searched high and low for another motel, but there wasn't another to be had. We were going to go home, but the kids, who know nothing about filth and who were looking forward to this trip for months, were very sad, so we stuck it out. I was assured again that the rooms would be cleaned better that day. When we got back that night, they weren't. We just went to bed, thankful that we were checking out the next day. We also noticed that the unoccupied room next door to us (while the NoVacancy hotel sign was lit), had the shades wide open and the room looked clean, but the bed sheets on both beds were taken up at the corners, as if being inspected, and remained like that until we checked out. That night, while I was laying in bed, window wide open, since I refused to turn the filthy AC on with my allergic daughter, I saw two roaches run up the wall. I quickly killed them, adding to the stains on the walls. Of course, I couldn't sleep for another second that night. The next morning, when I rolled out of bed, I saw that there were five blood spots on the sheet and after inspection, saw NO cuts on my body. The thought flipped me out and I immediately inspected the mattress and found small black dots on it, evidence of bed bugs. I immediately called the manager into my room to show him and he said he would change the sheets. I explained to him that I believe he may have bed bugs and he said what I was seeing was dirt and that these were brand new mattresses. I then told him about the roaches and he told me he had NEVER had a roach complaint before and he was very sorry, but would speak to the maid. At this point, I was very upset and proceeded to show him the filth that he had promised to clean as well as the black mold in my cousin's bathroom and he said that walls, floors and windows only get cleaned once a week and that the sea air causes a lot of dirt and is hard to keep up with it. He completely ignored the fact that I had seen roaches and most likely bed bugs. I asked him about the room next door to me and he said that it had been occupied for all three days and nothing was wrong with it (LIE!!!). The hotel pool and breakfast were fine. The pool was clean and well-maintained, even though most of the furniture was run down, that is to be expected in most beach motels. The breakfast included coffee, juice, donuts, bagels and waffles, which was very nice. Now, I would like to say that we are experienced Jersey Shore travelers and there are some things we would never complain about because they are expected, things such as mildew and and some mold (we are right by the ocean), mosquitos and flies (there were plenty of both, but again, right by the ocean), run-down furniture (to be expected at a busy seasonal establishment), but things like bug stains, blood stains, hair, excessive dirt and dust, holes and gashes in doors and walls, rust on everything, broken window shades, roaches and beg bugs are all unacceptable. There is no excuse for filth. We know the reality of a beach motel and search for little more than cleanliness, even with exorbitent seasonal prices. This is a realistic review and I am very surprised by the tripadvisor reviews calling this place clean and great. Really, I am shocked because I usually find tripadvisor reviews to be right on, and we had two rooms that were both horrible. The management did not seem at all to care, even though they were quite friendly in their indifference. I basically begged him to tell me if there was a bed bug problem so that I could take proper precautions upon coming home (which I did anyway) and he said I was wrong. He then went outside and had a very heated discussion with the cleaning staff, in another language, so I don't know what they said. Bottom line, none of these shore motels are "nice," and we know that, but this one is both not nice and not at all clean. Try the Luna Mar.

Room Tip: There are rooms near the pool that appear to be in a newer building, but I don't know if thet ar...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside Park
#4 of 7 in Seaside Park
Franklin Terrace Motel
Franklin Terrace Motel
#8 of 39 in Seaside Heights

Been to Desert Palm Inn? Share your experiences!