“Good service and main course” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chef Mike's ABG

Chef Mike's ABG
Ranked #3 of 32 Restaurants in Seaside Park
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: "Bringing Sexy Food Back"Executive Chef Michael Jurusz Bio It’s been said that art is everywhere, except it has to pass through a creative mind. Following that credo to a culinary end, Executive Chef Mike Jurusz has channeled who he is, where he’s been and where he’s going onto the plates of thousands of satisfied customers in his 27 years in the industry - earning his rightful place as one of the most renowned chefs at the Jersey Shore and in the state. From his salad days at the Ocean County Vocational School to his appetizer courses that led to a degree from the acclaimed Johnson & Wales University, the Brick native was determined to create main courses that would both thrill and fill. His subsequent travels would take him all over the country, working for some of the most accomplished chefs and helping him refine a cuisine indigenous to himself which he likes to call Trans-Continental Fusion. Over the years, Chef Mike has transformed several New Jersey restaurants with his own inimitable style as a technician on a mission to serve up something memorable, winning numerous awards for innovative and whimsical dishes that perfectly weave the bold and the subtle, earning plenty of play on the air and in print with his charm and appeal, all while establishing a charitable reputation for delivering to those in need from behind the line. After a two-year absence, Chef Mike celebrates his return to the Atlantic Bar & Grill in South Seaside Park, where he created a gourmet destination well worthy of the trip - and the return. Now that he’s back, Chef Mike invites you to come experience the new ABG under his direction and convection - and to remind you that your plate will always be his canvas.
Toms River, New Jersey
“Good service and main course”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

I have been to ABG before and was excited to return. The service at the bar before being seated was fast and accurate, and the bacon strips were a unique change to normal bar snack offerings. Our table was directly next to the oceanfront window so our views of the sand and dune grass were lovely. Our large group could have been overwhelming to some waitstaff but our server was definitely seasoned and we were well cared for. I was pleased with my main course of crab cakes. The crab cakes had a little kick to them and were quite tasty. The rice and asparagus that accompanied the cakes were cooked perfectly as well. While I was pleased with the main course I did notice a few changes since my last visit. The side of house salad I received was much smaller than I remembered, the dressing bland, and the croutons were nothing but yesterday's leftover rolls cut to pieces and toasted. The bread basket I recall from my last visit included a variety of warm breads and seasoned breadsticks. The basket we received was full of basic regular rolls (not warm). Overall, I would return again but the owner should be mindful that regulars can spot the cutbacks in details.

1 Thank ValGal214

Boston, Massachusetts
“Wish I lived closer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

My sister loves this restaurant. On a recent trip to visit her, we decided to take the hour ride to the shore to have dinner at this restaurant. We have the same palate and ordered the same things. We started with crag bisque. It was so delicious and creamy we bought some to take out for the next night. We ordered fried calamari to share as an appetizer. I have had calamari in many restaurants, but this is the best I have ever had. It was crispy with a hint of sweetness. We had crab cakes as entrees. It was very good, but I would order the sauce on the side it I ever went back. We had chocolate molten cake for dessert. the location is beautiful, right on the water. We could see the beach with the waves crashing into the shore. Our waitress was very helpful and pleasant. Wish I didn't live about 7 hours away. I would be sitting at the bar ordering the bisque and calamari every week!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bath, Pennsylvania, United States
“Ocean view as good as Chef Mike's cusine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We just celebrated Valentine's Day here, at the Atlantic Bar & Grill (Chef Mike's ABG). Yes, we are from Pennsylvania, & drove 2-1/2 hours to this wonderful paradise. We have been here many times before, & just keep coming back, for special times together. We got there at opening (5:00 PM), on Saturday, 2/15/14, & were pleasantly surprised to be seated "against the windows", overlooking the sand dunes & the beautiful Atlantic Ocean. There aren't many places along the Jersey Shore that have a location like this.
Chef Mike has numerous tempting 'Valentine's Day specials', along with their menu of outstanding entrees. I settled for the 1# Australian Cold water lobster tail, & my (valentine)/wife enjoyed the crabcakes (lump crab meat), along with a special antipasta salad for 2.
Everything was just perfect, as is the service. We were also treated to 2 humungous chocolate-dipped strawberries (1 white, 1 dark chocolate), compliments of Chef Mike.
Thanks gang, for a really enjoyable Valentine's treat/meal/celebration. You guys definitely got your act together. Keep-up the good work.

• Visited February 2014
Brick, New Jersey
“Pretty darn good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My wife booked this place for Valentine's Day weekend. We went yesterday for 5:30 and it was already busy which is great to see during the offseason. The atmosphere was really nice and modern. They sat us in a room with large windows all around with a great view of the beach. It started snowing pretty hard which added to the ambience.

We ordered an appetizer sampler which was definitely the way to go. It had chicken dumplings, which was my wife's favorite. It has two mini crab cakes which were quite good. Had a couple of shrimp tempuras which were ok. The highlight for me was the Thai chili calamari. They were delicious and easily the best calamari I've had. The sampler comes with 3 dipping sauces. The calamari does not require any.

Next up was crab bisque which I heard was amazing and boy was it. It was perfect and you can taste the real fresh crab. I highly recommend it.

Then came my 12oz NY strip. I ordered it medium rare. However it was undercooked and definitely rare. I didn't mind not send it back because I have no issues eating it that rare. It was still really good with the garlic butter and topped with fries.

Last we finished with a special valentines chocolate heart cake with a chocolate gremolata and ice cream. It was good, nothing special.

All in all a pretty darn good dining experience with some real highlights.

Jersey Shore, NJ
“Great dinner and atmosphere ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a nice dinner with my husband here and honestly have no complaints. They were offering specials such as $3 draft beers and 1/2 priced tapas. We both enjoyed our meals and the service was great. Would definitely go back!