“Great family place!”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Seaside Park
king of prussia, pa
“Great family place!”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We just made our summer reservations at the Luna Mar. We stayed last labor day weekend on a neigbor's recommendation and they were right - the Luna Mar was just what we were looking for. Last year we stayed in a motel room since we booked last minute - the room was well kept but a bit small - since we will be staying for a week this year we decided to reserve one of the efficiencies (the housekeepers showed us one last year which had been recently renovated). The location is ideal as it is across the street from the beach which makes going back and forth to the room very easy. This also gives us the option of bringing my mother in law with us since the manager told us that there is room for a cot. We found the place to be very clean and well kept, inside of the room and as well in the pool area - where the kids wound up spending most of their time. We are looking forward to returning and hope it gets here soon!

• Liked — cleanliness, location, staff
  • Disliked — parking is kind of tight
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank resdenfam

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Luna-mar is located right across the street from the sandy beach and features short walk to Funtown pier and easy access to the Island beach state park. Checking in and out were the easiest I've seen. The staff was friendly and accommodating. They let us into our apartment 4 hours earlier than check-in time! The apartment was a bit crowded but we definitely saved a lot money by renting one big unit as supposed to two separate units. They even waived the 3 day minimum requirement for the labor day weekend. The pool was great to lounge around and we enjoyed the free bagel breakfast by the boardwalk, which was only a few steps away from the motel.

• Liked — Location, Staff, check in/out process, free beach badges
  • Disliked — dated rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ILoveTravelBargains
Reviewed August 30, 2008

The Luna Mar is across the street from the beach—that's the one and only reason to stay there. It's typical of seasonal Jersey shore joints, cramped, crowded, and crusty. For three months a years these salty inns operate under the philosophy of charging as much as humanly possible while improving as little as possible. They're a mash-up of cheap decor—fifty year old paneling, thirty year old carpeting, twenty year old curtains, ten year old bed, rusty doorknobs, paper thin walls, faint odor of cat urine, etc. The Luna Mar is a BIT above average, but not significantly better than it's neighbor motels along the strand. I was aghast to see reviewers on this site give it five stars. If that were true then the Comfort Inn deserves ten stars—and at half the price. I grew up in Jersey. I've been around these places my whole life. I don't blame the snake for being a snake but I don't give it five stars either. Have some sense of proportion— just because it's okay for what it is don't make it the Ritz Carlton.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Eveythin else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
8 Thank SmrtTravller
tcor0328, Manager at Luna-Mar Motel, responded to this review, May 16, 2009
The Luna Mar makes no attempt to represent itself as a high end chain hotel. Management and staff, (most over 10 years at this location) take great measures to provide clean and comfortable, family and couple oriented accommodations. The facility has been owned by the same family since 1981, and many of our guests are second generation. Extensive renovations have taken place over the past 6 years (new baths, kitchens, etc), and are ongoing. Our rates increase slightly each year ($5-$8 per night) in order to keep up with the rising costs of operating in a seasonal location. We also encourage all guests to bring to our attention any issues they may encounter during their stay, so that we have the opportunity to attend to them. Management also has extensive chain experience, having been previously employed at a large hotel franchising company, and makes every attempt to match the 100% guest satisfaction guarantees offered by many franchised hotels.
New York
Reviewed July 17, 2008

My family returned the Luna Mar again this Memorial Day. I even brought my Uncle and his wife and my brother and his wife. My mother came and stayed in my room she is handicap and can not walk far so the convenience of the motel layout made it possible for her to get around so she was not in the room all weekend. She was able to watch her grandchildren in the pool having fun and my children were thrilled that their Nanny was there. There is nothing but wonderful things that I can say about our stay. This is our second year back and we are already looking forward to next year. The location is perfect! All you have to do is cross the street and you are on the beach(with free beach passes) then at night I put the baby in the carriage and both my 10 year old and seventeen year old walk with me to the boardwalk. The walk is just minutes and when we came back to the motel at 2am in the morning there were other families walking with us and I felt very safe. In the morning we had coffee and bagels and relaxed by the pool. The room is clean and is cleaned everyday and we always get the efficiency so that the kids can cook quick snacks. This is more than a vacation spot you feel truly welcomed and safe. I highly recommend this motel and my only regret is that we are not able to get back more often!!!

• Liked — The family atmosphere
  • Disliked — I wish we could stay longer
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank NewYorkMomof3
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This was our family's first time staying at the Luna Mar. We had an amazing time! The staff is wonderful and the motel is very clean. My children and husband all had a great time. The staff is very accommodating and so helpful! I had stayed at other motels at the Jersey shore and truly none other was like the Luna Mar. They had a bagels and coffee every morning and a pizza party once a week! The office staff even gave us beach passes that we could use!!
It is a family place. We did not have to worry about obnoxious 25 year olds running around drinking scaring our kids. It is a family place and has that family atmosphere. I would recommend this place to any and all of my friends and family, and actually already have!!

• Liked — The friendly staff, cleanliness, closenss to beach and boardwalk
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing! Loved it all!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank drknlv
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We have just returned home from spending a weekend at the Luna Mar Motel & would highly recommend this Motel to anyone looking to spend time at the Jersey Shore.

- The location was perfect. Right across from the boardwalk, the beach & approximately four or five blocks from the amusement piers.
- The Motel staff were very kind & helpful, especially when providing us with information on local restaurants, activities & attractions, along with directions to all.
- One staff member even mapped out running routes for us.
- The rooms were clean on arrival & cleaned daily there after.

The Luna Mar Motel provided us with all the ingredients we needed to spend a great weekend at the Jersey Shore.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank HappycamperNJ
Lyndhurst
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Let me just start off by saying that I have never felt the need to write a review online before this experience. I decided to go down the shore for a night with one of my best friends and my sister in law. After realizing that most NJ shore hotels have a 2 night minimum I was so pleased to find the Luna Mar Motel. The man on the other line... we'll call him Frank to protect his identity... was the nicest, most accommodating person I had spoken to while trying to find us a room. "Frank" informed us that we would be able to stay for one night and that we'd be able to fit three people in the room after putting in a cot since the room only had one bed in it. After jumping for joy I happily gave "Frank" my credit card information and a verbal confirmation was provided for the reservation. I called the girls who were equally excited. The girls were going to get their weekend away!!!

The next day at work I got a phone call from the motel manager informing me that Luna Mar has a 2 night minimum and that "Frank" was a new employee and that he had made a mistake. This manager attempted to rescind my reservation. I asked to speak to the owner of the facility who, according to the manager, was not available. I was told by this motel manager to "stop trying to cause trouble" because I expected the motel to honor the verbal contract agreed upon the night before. After several phone calls back and forth Luna Mar agreed to honor their end of the deal and give us the room for the night. I was told that check in was at 2 pm... which brings us to the next dreadful experience.

The girls and I drive down the shore and spend the day at the beach waiting for check in time at the Luna Mar. It was now 2:15 pm and we arrive. I hand the hotel manager my information as my sister in law and friend are right by my side. He stated "your room only fits two people in it... not 3. Your reservation only is for 2." I informed this man that "Frank" told me that a cot would be placed in our room for the 3rd party. "Oh no!" he stated. "You know if your not happy here you can get your money back and go somewhere else." What?!?!? What kind of customer service is this? This man just basically told me that he couldn't care less about what they had promised me and my fellow travelers. I asked to speak to the owner who came out to speak to me.

I informed the owner of the situation and my disappointment so far with my exprience at the Luna Mar. He told me "we''ll figure something out later on... you can come back later." I pointed out that it was past check in time and we had already spend the day waiting to get a room. "Oh...we don't usually rent out to parties... this is a family place. We will give you an apartment but you cannot have guests. When we give you this apartment we will have made up for our mistake. We will have more then made up for it." I pointed out that I was not planning on having guests and that we were not "out of control teenagers" renting a room. We are all women over the age of 25 not looking for a wild party weekend. I also pointed out that this facility claims to have an "over 23" age restriction and the pool was filled with kids splashing around and carrying on. Hesitantly, the owner and manager agreed to give us an apartment since "Frank" had made a mistake.

Finally, as the manager and owner handed me the room key they informed me that "Frank" would be fired if he made another mistake. I informed them that "Frank's" job security is none of my buisness but still they continued. "He will surely be fired... you remember that. We'll give you the room... but he will get fired for any other mistake." I informed these 2 individuals that Frank is the reason why were are even at this facility. I stated "he was wonderful on the phone and he brought our buissness here." I realized that this was a hopeless situations.I grabbed the key and went to the room with my party feeling completely horrible for Frank.

I cannot believe that they were trying to make me feel responsible for an employees error. Also, I spent the rest of the weekend avoiding all contact with the front desk as I felt completely unwanted there. If I was sure that after our long drive that I'd be able to fond another hotel I would have canceled my reservation. I will never return to this facility. I have never felt like a facility was doing me a favor by allowing me to stay in their room. Also, what happened to the age restriction? I get asked to confirm that I am over the age of 23 during my reservation process so that I can eventually fight for room by the pool with 8 5-10 year olds.

The manager and owner have absolutely no people skills and poor customer service. All I have to say is that if you don't spend the time to effectively train your new staff you should deal with employee errors without taking it out on your guests. On a final note... "Frank" deserves to work in a place where customer service and interpersonal skills are appreciated... not at the Luna Mar.

• Disliked — staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
#5 of 39 in Seaside Heights
Franklin Terrace Motel
Franklin Terrace Motel
#8 of 39 in Seaside Heights

Been to Luna-Mar Motel? Share your experiences!