“Not Impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Peekskill, New York
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Aztec over Labor Day wkend. The parking was sparse but found a spot. I was told I could have a poolside room with 2 queen beds and a sofa for our 5th person. Got the poolside room, no sofa. I asked about it and was told the rooms w/sofas had been booked since Thursday. I told I booked it on Wed.. I asked for a roll away cot. They don't have and so we crammed 3 in a bed...
The room was dated but relatively clean. I think the grout in the bathroom floor could be bleached and or re-grouted. There were only 2 pillows on each bed. We asked for more and was given 1.
Location was great, right on the boardwalk.
I don't think it's much of a family hotel. I would say more of a party one as there are beer flags hanging over the pool and beer posters hanging on walls around the pool.
If you're a partier and/or want convenience or even for a night, the place is good. I wouldn't stay here again though. I certainly wouldn't stay here for a week. I don't want to say anything too negative but it is very dated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sheila M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Westchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

i was very apprehensive coming to this hotel - but I was coming with my husband and 4 - 13 year old girls - and he did not want them to cross the road - and my daughter has been wanting to stay here. I always go for family oriented more - as I am a horrible sleeper. This I also told the lady who took my reservation - she was kind and gave us two adjourning rooms - third floor - street side, as the night we were there -there was to be a dj. Well- we arrive - the office is in the middle of the building and bit loud and dreary looking. Good part - there is an elevator - parking is tight. The rooms were dated - but CLEAN - new windows, old tile in bathroom, but clean, sheets clean, and bed comfortable. The girls were tickled to be right on the boardwalk - we spent the day up and down the boarwalk- girls enjoyed the pool. The DJ at night was LOUD - but - I did not hear it where we were at. I can say that my stay was enjoyable - I must say that this was during the week and not on a weekend. We had breakfast at the Aztec - cooked in front of you - nothing grand - but reasonable . I would stay here again during the week - not so brave for the weekend.

Room Tip: if you want quiet - try third floor and facing the street
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mishy119
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I've stayed at the Aztec for the past 3 summers. We always travel as a big group and the hotel is so accommodating trying to put us all in rooms close to each other. It may seem a bit old and in need of a makeover but that's what makes it great! It's in the perfect location right on the boardwalk and the beac! You can't get any closer! Theres no other hotel right on the boardwalk with a pool. The rooms are basic, but what else do you need for a beach vacation? Our room has always been clean during all our stays and all the hotel staff have always been so welcoming.

I see all these bad reviews on here and I've experienced nothing like that. You can't come to Seaside expecting a 5* resort. When it comes down to it, what do you really use the room for? Sleeping and getting ready. Theres also an amazing deck to sit on in the evening that overlooks the boardwalk. It's the perfect place to enjoy a few beers and watch the boardwalk and everyone on it.

I would stay here again in the future. To me coming to Seaside means staying at the Aztec!

Room Tip: Rooms street side are quieter because you don't get as much noise from the bar.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dorsetgirl93
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I made reservations at the Aztec a week earlier and spoke with a man on the phone. I was told I would have a room with a view of the pool and two parking spaces as my fried and I were meeting there separately coming from DC and NY. When we got there to this run down dump of a motel we had a dismal, dark, dank smelling room facing trash cans. The women at the front desk would only allow one of us to park in their three empty parking lots making me have to either pay almost $50 a day or park or drive more then 10 blocks away to free parking. When we asked to switch rooms from our dungeon because we could see by the open windows the hotel was almost totally empty to a different room, this same women said it would be $80 more. When we went to take our food from the fridge they were covered in ants as was the floor and when ever the herd of children above our room ran around a black dirt would fall from the ceiling all over our things. You would think after Sandy and having a motel less then half full a place would be more accommodating but it seems the people at the Aztec are just looking to price gouge. Very unfortunate considering it is in a great location and that is about all it has going for it.

Room Tip: Don't try another place or make sure to get a room with a patio facing the pool like we were sup...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank megan_rains

Travelers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

bronx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I don't know about these bad reviews maybe they were expecting a luxury hotel but guys its seaside and for seaside this hotel was great the room was clean so was the hotel in general it was on the boardwalk and had one of the hottest nightclubs around inside the hotel (everyone went there) the staff was friendly and the room service excellent the only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars is that it could use an upgrade here and there but all in all the hotel was great the deck was the best as for the restaurant it had upstairs I couldn't say we didn't eat there a lot of younger crows stayed there it is a real party hotel not that boring family hotels you stayed at

Room Tip: I was at room 215
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Initially renting from Aztec and reading the reviews, I knew that what I was renting would not be as nice as your normal hotel or even Super 8 motel. Although our room was clean, we will definitely not rent from Aztec again. Maintenance issues in the room (leaking ceiling, no water pressure in the sink). Friday night there was a DJ in the club attached to the "resort" and the noise echoed in our room till 2AM. Drunks were running up and down our hallway until 4AM screaming and slamming doors. The most disappointing part of our stay was the Front Desk Staff members and what appeared to be a Manager. Anytime any issue were reported, they didn't apologize at all, nor fix the issues, nor were they sympathetic. They just told us that we could leave. I guess with the amount of business they do, they don't care about their guests. I highly would not recommend this place for families, especially those with small kids. On the bright side, the location was great and easy access to the board walk. The pool was also nice and clean, even though we did not use it. The price to access the beach was $7.00 per day. The beach was nice, water clear, the only disappointing thing about the beach is that I was not allowed to fly my kite. So NO having too much fun at Jersey shore or you will get the whistle blown at ya!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Pocket626
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This place is a real trash pit. The walls and ceilings are cracked. The water temp is backwards.When you watch tv the wires have to be moved to get good receiption. The worst is the ant and bug guest that crawl everywhere on walls,ceiling ,floor ,and your suitcase.The nightclub is just as bad as the rest of the motel.Take this warning book somewhere else like a Comfort Inn or Days Inn type of resort.

• Stayed June 2013