“Perfect Choice”

Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Perfect Choice”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

Great location right on the Boardwalk. My sister and I had a room w/ a balcony w/ view of pool and beach. When we closed the balcony door we could not hear the music from the bar so I do not understand why people complain about the noice. The room was clean. The only bad thing I could say is it could use more lamps. We had only one light. We were glad we picked the Aztec and would go back again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no bed side lamp.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City
Reviewed June 4, 2008

In defense of the Aztec from some of these other reviews...the rooms really are not that dirty. They were just what I expected for a boardwalk hotel. However, the semi-cleanliness of the rooms does not make up for the awful experience I had there:

Some friends and I wanted to get away last summer and hang out at the beach. Unfortunately, we timed our visit with a local high school or two,, because there were underage drunks everywhere (we were 18, 19, and 21 at the time, but we were NOT drinking). Didn't bother my friends or me, but the hotel staff sure was on the alert. They called the cops on me late one night because I locked my key in my room (of course the police found the situation just as absurd as I did and ordered them to let me in).

The next night they called the police on us again around 2am when we were sleeping. Im not sure if they actually called the police or the police were just making rounds, but regardless, the motel staff let the police into our room. The police said they were doing routine searches for drugs and alcohol, of which they found none. I understand that during summer at Seaside the police occasionally have to look through rooms because of what goes on there. But my friends and I were not a part of the partying that was going on, we had not started any problems or drawn attention to ourselves, and as far as I could tell, most of the young teens who were there to drink were not staying in the Aztec anyway (there were huge raging parties on the balconies of some other hotels and motels).

I understand that summers at Seaside Heights can get a little out of hand and we were willing to deal with the paranoia and hostility that the staff was obviously directing at young people. However, at checkout, I had an experience that convinced me to never again give this awful motel my money:

Upon checkout, it was time for the staff to inspect our room and make sure we get our $200 damage waiver back. I started to follow the large black-haired woman to my room, but she turned and snapped "You stay here!"....Alright, so they don't allow guests in their own room to witness the inspection process, fair enough. Surely if there were actually something wrong with the room, THEN they'd let me see it, right? Wrong.

It seems that one of the legs on the bed was damanged, or broken, or something. I wouldn't know because they wouldn't actually let me see it, but they said a bed leg was damaged. The fee was only 10 or 15 dollars so it wasn't a big deal, but when I asked which bed it was (so we could figure out which one of us broke it), the short overweight woman with black hair (I'm sorry I don't know her name but I want to make sure the right person is held accountable) snapped at me "The one that was broken, stupid!". They just wanted my money and they didn't care about customer satisfaction.

If the Aztec wants to treat their guests like crap, they'll only get guests who want a motel that's dirty as crap. Never again will I step foot in that awful place.

I'd like to see the manager respond to this one. Do you train your employees to snap at visitors at checkout? Or are they just in a bad mood all the time because they work for the worst motel in New Jersey?

• Liked — The view, the location, and the smell of salt-water in the air
  • Disliked — The incredibly rude staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank thvic

Travelers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

new jersey
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I have never seen such a dirty hotel. When we arrived in our room you could tell the place needed a major face lift. The walls are dingy and the furniture is old and falling apart. The floor was covered in some kind of dark gunk and it was very sticky. The A/C unit barely worked and the remote for the tv was held together with tape. The blankets were stained with who knows what. When we got in bed we discovered that it was full of so much sand we actually had to brush ourselves off. Needless to say we didn't even spend the night. We left and found another hotel to stay in without sand in the bed.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It was filthy
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zumbagirl16
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 25, 2008

The Aztec front desk people are pleasant and helpful; maintenance tries very hard to keep up with problems; but it's the location of the Aztec that is its BEST feature --right on the boardwalk and just a couple of steps from the beach! If you're looking for easy access to EVERYTHING, the Aztec is the place to stay in Seaside Heights.

• Liked — nearness to beach
  • Disliked — rooms are a little run down
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Hudson Valley, NY
Reviewed September 9, 2007

This was the worst hotel/motel we have ever stayed in. Checked in Friday 09/7 for 2 nights in a "kitchenette" unit.. Immediately upon registering we noted no TV remote. Asked front desk and was given one. Didn't work, Got a second one. Didn't work. They gave us a third one with a booklet for us to program the remote. Spent 20mins trying to do it-didn't work. Asked front desk who was in charge- an uninterested young woman said ask for Louise next day. Meantime I noted the following and made a list to speak to the management about Saturday morning:
--"bathroom" sink-clogged-took 10mins to drain after brushing teeth
--peeling plaster and paint in bathroom and around air conditioner
--inadequate air-conditioning, after being on high for hours, still not cool and couldn't even open windows
--TV cabinet broken- once armoire doors were open they kept closing on their own (?unlevel floors?), had to prop them open with chairs. Slide out table the TV was on stayed out and couldn't be put back in cabinet (again ? unlevel floors)
-wall lamp had no light bulb in it
-overhead flourescent lights burned out
-no luggage rack
-no clock radio
-curtains didn't properly close so sunlight came streaming in our eyes in the bed
-still no working TV remote

Went to front desk Saturday morning to complain- was told if I didn't like it I should check out and they'd refund the night. Told them I couldn't get a room at Seaside for a Saturday night during a "event/Mardi-Gras" weekend- everything was booked and everyone wanted a 2 night minimum. They would not even issue a partial refund--mind you we paid $224.00/2nights. Not exactly flop house rates for what was only a step above flop house accommodations. Was told that the room condition was typical for Seaside Heights and what did I expect-- no partial refund- basically Tough Luck!! They did put drain cleaner down and replace a few light bulbs. Unprofessional and arrogant staff, totally disgusting physical facilities. Customer satisfaction? Apparently not at Seaside Heights hotels per the staff. I will be writing to the local BBB and Tourism Board.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Disgusting accommodations and horrible staff attitude
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NewYorker55
Union County, NJ
Reviewed August 20, 2007

From my first phone call I was treated like a VIP. The woman who answered was friendly, helpful and extremely polite. I made my reservation with MaryAnn. The only trouble at checkin, was deciding which of the ladies would help me. I met MaryAnn, and her desk partner, Donna. Both ladies appeared to be happy to be able to welcome a visitor to not only the hotel, but also to the area. They informed us of happenings planned for the children, they knew of places our teenager would enjoy, and where we would be able to enjoy ourselves. When we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprized, after reading some of the reviews posted here. Not only was the room clean, it was well stocked with towels, soaps, shampoo etc.. We did have a problem with the air conditioning unit. I called to report it to the front desk, and within minutes, the maintenance manager was at our door to solve our dilemma. Everyone we had contact with, the maids, the maintenance manager, the desk clerks and the general manager were exceptional in their efforts to make us feel like WE were the main reason for their being at the hotel. The location is fantstic, once you park the car, there is no need to move it, fun, fantastic food choices, waterpark and amusement rides are all within walking distance. The beach entrance is right in front of the resort. We have found our vacation spot, you should try it, you'll like it.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — that we had to leave
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank gowiththeflo055
new york
Reviewed August 15, 2007

This by far was the worst hotel that we have ever stayed in. Could it have been the pubic hair on the pillow upon our first attempt of sleep? How about the wet washcloth that was placed on the wall towel rack? Or, the drapes that couldn't close completely because they were half hanging up or maybe it was the holes in them that was pulling them down. The furniture has a formica type covering that is falling off. The bathroom was dirty as was the entire room. "kitchenette" was rusty and dirty. The fridge was dirty. We were so totally grossed out. The carpet was full of stains. Needless to say we slept in our clothes and wrapped up in a blanket that was in our car. Speaking of cars....parking is difficult as long as you don't mind paying/feeding the meters quarters constantly if you are not one of the lucky ones to park either under the "resort" or down the road in a parking lot so tight or wait yet even another lot even further away. Now that is convenience. Truly we would not ever stay there again.

• Liked — Being on the boardwalk is the only positive
  • Disliked — Totally dirty
  • Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
azteco98, Manager at Aztec Ocean Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2007
At check out, the only complaint you voiced was that we had rusty doors. And you mentioned that we had patched our walls. You were not happy with your room at check in and you were told that morning when you called for your same day reservation, we only had this one room available for you. Yes, our kitchenettes are old but they are not dirty. And the refrigerators are not dirty. If you had complained about your bedding, we would have come to your room immediately and stripped it and re-made it for you. Our furthest parking area is in the middle of the third block from here. Everyone is warned not to park at a meter as they are in effect twenty four hours a day and we do have parking available. Out of 79 rented rooms that weekend, you are the only room that was displeased with our "resort". I am listening to a fellow at the front desk right this second who is raving about how great our place is--right on the beach, great staff, clean rooms, bar and restaurant right on premises, etc. So, I am really sorry that you were not pleased with our establishment but I feel that your review was unfairly jaded.