“I've been to a lot of crappy Motels, but this one was pretty bad.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Surfside Motel

Surfside Motel
Ranked #35 of 41 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Wilton Manors, Florida
“I've been to a lot of crappy Motels, but this one was pretty bad.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I are Seaside regulars. We've stayed at a number of motels in the area during the summer and off-season. This was by far our worst experience of the lot. What I will say is that the service was good. Everyone was very friendly and helpful (as much as they could help this disaster.)
We requested a King bed and a room with a microwave (We like to bring our own late night/pre-game snacks) The room was tucked away in a corner which was nice because we didn't get the noise of the 30 teenagers raging just a few rooms away. Upon entering we were just dumbfounded.
The air-conditioner was hanging out of the wall, letting plenty of warm air in and cold air out, not to mention a nice gaping hole that landed your eyes right on our bed, creepy. It was only moments before the smoke alarm went on the fritz and fortunately a maintenance man came right away to fix it.
Except he didn't speak a lick of english and apparently didn't realize we'd have to sleep on the bed he was so causally standing on in his work boots. After about 30 minutes of that my boyfriend was so upset at the condition of the room he considered just going back to a place we were familiar with and forfeiting the money we paid for this room.
Adding to the awfulness was the parking situation. You have to park behind the motel and walk around the building to come back to the room. I was displeased with this as A. I can't keep an eye on my car/hear the alarm and B. After making a trip to the car alone, in the dark, on the walk back to the room I encountered more skeezy young men than I'd care to interact with in a 5 minute time span. We definitely will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TPA1592

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I knew something was amiss when I checked in and the woman behind the desk said, "Don't you want to see the room first?" If you get a thrill by being in trashy, defeated motels, then this is the one for you. When I checked in, I started laughing because the place is obviously so run-down that you just have to give them credit for chutzpah, that they could muster the effort to rent out these rooms with a straight face. Most of the people staying here are either drunk or high. Unlike other "stuck-up" people who find this to be off-putting, I actually got a charge out of it. When I was sitting by the pool, a drunk woman came over and told me that she lived in a trailer park. Her speech was slurred, which was no surprise. After smelling the alcohol on her breath, I didn't bat an eye when she took out a pack of cigarettes and started chain smoking. She had two young children with her and one of them started telling me how upset he was that his mother smoked. I suggested electronic cigarettes but she was unphased. One young boy was playing with an inflatable tube in the pool. After about five minutes, it broke and deflated, leaving him struggling in the water to reach the side. There is a sign by the pool which said "no alcohol" but people brazenly hovered around the pool with cans of beer, and I'm not talking about average sized ones while the staff just looked the other way. In fact, I surmised that they were probably drinking too on the side, just to numb themselves of the effect of this place. If slumming it is your idea of a good time, you will love this motel. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank newvoyage
Cranford, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I didn't expect much from a motel in Seaside, so I laughed at the mismatched furniture, the painting hung upside down, the soap that didn't lather. Whatever, the location was good. In the morning, when I spotted the bloodstains on the sheets, and then noticed a couple of those bloodstains were moving, and saw some little brown friends along with them, the joke wasn't funny anymore. Yes it was bedbugs. Excuse me while I go burn my clothes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dot H

Travelers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

Bucks County PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Location is the only thing this place has going for it.Stayed with my family for just one night bc we got a good deal on priceline. Door looked like someone tried to bust in. As soon as you open the door, the musty smell almost knocks you over. Cigarette burn holes on the sofa, and actually piles of cigarette ash still on there. Had to cover sofa with sheet we brought and thankfully brought our own bedding. Floors were filthy and if you walked without shoes on, your socks were black. Ended up throwing away a few pairs of socks bc they were disgusting. Didn't even attempt to use the shower.Toilet didn't flush properly.Seriously, can't believe this place is allowed to remain open with such poor conditions. Wasn't told when we booked that their pool was out of commission.Kids brought their swimming suits and were disappointed they couldn't swim. Totally green and unusable. If you are an adult and are desperate for a place to stay, you could take a chance staying here.I would not recommend bringing children because the filth level is off the charts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GerryD1234
Teaneck, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and usually drive down to go fishing. It was my birthday and I wanted to relax and not have to worry about my drive back. I booked Surfside Motel for two days. As soon as you get to the door, it looked like someone busted the door down. When you first enter you get hit with a urine/cat smell and as soon as you put your foot down on the carpet, it was wet and turned your feet black! Then I noticed that one of the beds bottom was busted open, as if someone took a blade to it at the bottom. I feared sooooo much that there were bed bugs crawling in there. I had my husband drive me a half an hour away to the nearest target to buy bed sheets because I refused to sleep on that bed. Then I noticed that the air conditioner was to small for the hole it was sitting in. There were so many bugs and spiderwebs between the wall and air conditioner. The worse part was the bathroom....disgusting. The sink was outside the bathroom, in which I freaked out how much germs and feces could have been on that knob. When you looked around, all you saw were bug guts everywhere! The cleaning maid folded all the wet towels we used to wash ourselves the night before and put it on the bed where I had put the new sheets on. At that point I couldn't take it anymore and left. Worse birthday ever because of that nasty hotel!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stefaniav32
Dupont, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Should be condemened by dept of health. Very dirty rusty faucets falling offf no hot water for showers- bugs in room modly falling apart. Stinks like death maids don't come to clean. Make you take your own garbage out only get 2 towels but you can't shower anyway in old water and rust

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Joann C
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Room 304: the room is about 10x15, their are two twin mattress on the floor (On the FLOOR) with a queen mattress on top (no box springs or head board/frame).1 flat sheet covering the mattress and 2 dirty pillows. One 1990's tv with 1 channel (usa). The furniture was repulsive and clearly 5x used garage sale pickups. This is advertised as the 1 bed queen room. Overall.. Dirty and classless.

Parking: upon check-in the receptionist said their was free parking, 1 per room. I left (with children) for a few hours, upon my return, all of the parking spots were taken.. including my assigned room parking spot. Apparently, their were several parties going on in the hotel and that is why my spot was taken. I spoke with the same receptionist who informed me that the spot was only guaranteed at check in. When I asked for clarification she said all that if I moved my car and lost the spot it was my loss.

Why the parking gripping you ask? Because the only other spots are metered or kiosks for $5 hour.

Even after speaking with the owner about the disgusting room and parking issue, I was not moved to a better room and he did not care about parking issue. So for 2 nights at $140.00, is this worth it? No. It is not.

• Stayed August 2013
Sky View Manor Motel
Sky View Manor Motel
#19 of 41 in Seaside Heights
3.0 of 5 stars 195 reviews

Been to Surfside Motel? Share your experiences!