“Absolutely Disgusting!!!”

Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Tarrytown, NY
“Absolutely Disgusting!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

So my boyfriend and I wanted to spend a weekend at Seaside and figured we would try this place out- it's located right near the boardwalk, offers free breakfast at a nearby restaurant, and was one of the cheapest for 2 nights in the middle of August. We had also seen it about 4 years ago when searching for a motel at that time. Upon getting to the place, the first thing we noticed was that the parking lot was EXTREMELY SMALL, the spaces are slanted so that they can fit more cars into a tiny area behind the motel but to try to get in and out of the spaces without damaging your car or the car next to you is impossible. We went to the office to check in and the lady behind the counter told us we could park our car in the little driveway next to the office but we would have to leave her our keys just in case she had to move it to let someone else out. Hell no, we didn't want her joyriding around in our car! So then we get to the room to find that the door looks like it's not closed all of the way, but that's the way it locks. There were no curtains on the windows so there was a gap in the blinds where anyone could see into the room. The room smelled like urine/mildew/mold, I couldn't tell what.....the beds were two different heights due to the fact that one of them was busted.....my boyfriend and I shared the bed that didn't seem busted only to find cigarette burns in the comforter and a nasty spider hanging from the ceiling above us....the sink was located outside of the bathroom but there was no mirror! How was my boyfriend expected to shave without a mirror? In it's place was crayon grafitti that someone dated 2006 which means the room hasn't been painted in at least 2 years.....then there's the dresser....the drawers were all broken and when I opened the top drawer to put my clothes away, I found a BLOODY pair of women's panties......I felt like throwing up......the TV is an ancient Zenith- I was actually surprised that it was color- but in order to turn it off we had to unplug it because the power button didn't work.......the carpets were disgusting, gum stuck to it in differnent spots and it always seemed "wet" like someone walked through there right from the ocean or the pool, or some little kid peed all over the room (that's what it smelled like at least).....next day I took a shower only to discover mildew/mold on the inside of the shower curtain AND there are no shelves in the shower for your shampoo bottles so you have to have them on the floor of the shower.......the people in the room above us must have had young kids because every morning at 6 there would be pounding footsteps from above, and the noise from the pool at 3 in the morning was ridiculous......DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Liked — The pool was nice....
  • Disliked — THE ROOM AND THE STAFF!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Steffy913

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
bikernel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

I feel I have to write this review to let others know about the Surfside Motel in Seaside Heights. I did read the reviews before I booked the room, and even though most were not good ones, I figured that it "can't be that bad". Well it was worse. This is the most disgusting motel room that I have ever seen. When we first opened the door, the smell of mildew was over powering, didn't turn of the wall ac unit due to knowing the mold must be growing in it. the sheets and bed spread was stained, and had hair in it (brought my own linens to sleep on). We decided to stay and make the best of it, cause you really are not in the room that much. There was fillty with burn marks chairs. The rug was dirty with runs all though it. Railing going up to the 3rd floor, shaky as you held on to them (really didn't want to touch). The toilet was as clean as it was going to be (even though it ran all the time, with zip ties hold the insides together, wrong tank cover which didn't cover the whole thing and wrong seat that didn't fit...we own a plumbing company so of course these are things we notice!)

Shower curtain.... DON"T TOUCH! Hot water ... Good luck! No dead bolt on door, just normal handle lock. Not even fire/emergency sign on the back of the door. Dresser drawers with no bottoms.

I do want to say, being in a tourist/party/beach town, I know that the upkeep must be alot and hard to keep up with maintenance issues, but from the look of things they have not put anything into this motel for along time. One thing is being dated, another thing is dirty. The pool was clean even couldn't go in cause of the high amount of chlorine.
Saturday morning we woke up to find that our back wiper blade from our vechicle was broken off along with a few others in the parking lot. When I told the gentleman in the office about this, his answer was, oh were you in the back parking lot?? No I sorry about that.. nothing!!
This place is a liscense to print money... @ 169.00 per night and no money going back into the motel...enough said, listen to the reviews, I am sorry that I didn't this time

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank bikernel

Travelers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

epts18
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

this hotel is the most disgusting place i have seen in my life! there is mold in the room and on the air conditioner vent, broken blinds, holes in the walls, footprints on the walls, dirty carpet, and a [--] smell. so dirty its seriously unhealthy!!! besides all that the room is pretty small. we checked in and went to our room (that we barely fit in) and it was gross. we asked to see other rooms thinking it may be better but they were worse! it was so bad we did not stay. we got a FULL refund and stayed some where else. do not stay here unless you want to sleep in a dirty place and come home with bed bugs and who knows what else.. it is so gross its not even a place to crash after a night of drinking. id rather sleep in my car!! neither of us are picky at all but this was so terrible!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank epts18
stillihide
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

Myself and some friends (ages: 21, 22, 23, and 26) decided to go down to Seaside for the weekend. We found this place by searching some websites. Being that it was last minute we really didn’t have a choice. I read the posts on here and figured it couldn’t really be that bad. When we got there the staff was very friendly. The room on the other had was our major issue. There was an odd moldy smell once you opened the door and the carpets were wet. We figured that maybe they just washed the carpets but we later learned that they rent rooms out for a few hours during the day and the wet carpets were the result of soaking wet people running around the place in bathing suits (you will see this happening in all of the rooms, someone come out the pool runs into there room to grab something and then hops back into the pool). Besides being wet there were also a number of stains and markings from bubble gum on the carpet. There was a mini frig. on top of a broken 2 draw dresser in the "living room". Under the stove was a slightly larger refrigerator that didn’t work (also locating in the living room area). We were told there was going to be a microwave in our room but it was no where to be found nor would there be any room for it since there is no counter space. The two double beds in the room are extremely close to each other. Don’t expect any type of night stand in the room, the only thing besides the two beds was another broken 2 draw dresser on the opposite side. The mattresses didn’t fit properly on the beds, had holes, sunk down in the middle, and one of them looked like it caught on fire in some places from a cigarette. The bathroom is extremely small (I estimate 5feet by 3feet). If you are tall be prepared to hit your knees into the sink when sitting on the toilet. The shower was filled with some type of dirt when we got there. The pool basically does not close. You will find people at all time of the night out there drinking beers, laying out on the chairs, screaming and jumping in. There are a lot of people staying there how are in there early to mid twenties. Once it gets dark it is basically a gigantic party. Just watch out for the banister that is on the second floor, if you lean on it, it will fall off. It was extremely unstable and we had to keep reminding each other not to touch it. The first night we ended up drinking quit a bit, had some people come over to party and then we passed out on our nasty beds (which we ended up covering with our beach towel and anything else we could find in our car). We loved the party factor but the second night of our stay really got us. After coming back from the water park on the second day we opened the door to find ROACHES crawling on our wall. We were so disgusted that we moved the kitchen chairs outside and just chilled out there for most of the night. I refused to shut the lights in the room for fear that more of them would come out. We tried to deal with everything but the roaches really pushed it over board. Now I know what the stains on the walls were from. Dead Roaches!!....
This place is great if you want to get trashed close to the beach and not have to worry about getting a ticket for drinking beers in the public (drinking outside on the property is fine since its private property and everyone realizes that), you also got the pool that doesn’t close and the price isn’t too bad. Make sure you bring your own sheets and a can of RAID. DO NOT bring your kids to this place; they will not get any type of rest and most likely will get injured by something.

• Liked — Right across the street from the beach and no complains from the neighbors since everyone is loud and rowdy
  • Disliked — Roaches!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank stillihide
Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

Too all YOU PEOPLE!!! Who want to know more about the Surfside hotel it has something for everyone. For the historians each room has the first ever Zeeneth television ever made and you have to unplug it to turn it off.

Then there are the others. The part people. YOU PEOPLE as I like to say.

All though the rooms were bad you have people belly flopping in the pool for money. By the way the pool is "AWESOME"

and fat kids screaming SURFSIDE AT SEASIDE!!! and Chanting USA! USA! USA! 3 in the morning.

Also you provide the second best continental breakfast ever made and your 2 blocks away from Chef Alfonsos also known as Steaks Unlimited.

That is why this Hotel is a FIVE!!! out of FIVE!!!

So until next time I recommend the

SUUUUUUURRRRRRFFFFFFF SIDEEEEEEE AT SEAAAAAAA SIDE>>

P.S: The FAT KID WAS ME!!!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank kondik00
Great Bend ,Pa.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

After having a bad experience last year at one of the other motels in Seaside Heights I was little leary of trying this place especially after reading some of the other posts. We came down in August and overall the room really wasn't that bad. We were right across from the boardwalk and w/ 2 young boys it was really nice not to have to walk 2 blocks to return to our temporary home. My 2 sisters went with us so we had 3 rooms in all. My older sister had a single room and my other sister had a suite like we did. If you are going to get a suite with the stove take your own cooking stuff because that is not provided. The maid was there everyday to give us fresh towels and take the trash. The sheets were clean and fresh. It was a little noisy at with the other people there but w/ the AC on it was ok. We will definitly be back next year!!! Also the girls that work at the Whistle Stop for the free breakfast were very nice !!!

4 Thank tdemartino
philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2006

This place was horrid. The furniture was broken and filthy. The beds were broken and the mattresses were stained with all sorts of grossness. I just felt unclean the entire time I was there. The man in the office started a fight with a drunk guest staying in the room with the Dasani refrigerator, as mentioned in the previous post, and it went on all night. The best thing about this place is that they keep the pool open practically half the night. This way you could lay on the deck chairs instead of sitting on that disgusting furniture. Every day I took a long nap on the deck chairs because I couldn't sleep well wondering what was crawling around in those beds.
I went down ahead of time to see the hotel and the room they showed me was sparse but presentable. I contracted for that exact room but it was given away before I checked in.
If you are looking for a cheap place to crash in, get drunk and loud in then this is the place. Do not bring children to this place. It is not for family atmosphere. We loved Seaside Heights but we will stay elsewhere on future visits.

Stayed August 2006