“Very nice but a little pricey...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sunburst Motels I & II
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
PA
“Very nice but a little pricey...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2007

The Sunburst is a very nice motel. The room was not quite as large as I remember (we stayed years ago in Sunburst II), but was still roomy and very clean. There's an alarm clock, wifi Internet, utensils and glassware/plates in the kitchen, an in-room safe, plus an on-site laundry room. (Unfortunately, the dryer I used took 2 runs through at $1.00 each and my clothes were still soaked, but no big deal...I just hung everything on the railing outside our room.)

Each morning coffee and bagels are served in the office starting at 9:00, which is a very nice perk. One morning the office opened a little late, though, so I went to 7-11 to get coffee (which is only half a block away). I get up earlier than the office opens and need coffee ASAP...not their fault.

The pool area is nice...not overly large or fancy, but nice and private and there are plenty of chairs, tables and a bbq.

One thing I didn't like was that we didn't hang the "Maid, please make up this room" sign out and while we were at breakfast the maid did come in anyway and make up the room. Of course, we also didn't hang up "Do not disturb", so maybe that's why. I was concerned because we had i-pods and computers laying around the room that we would have put away if we knew someone would be coming in. Not that I think anyone would take anything, but you never know.

We did bring a DVD player which the TV wasn't able to accommodate, but no big deal...we were just hoping, it's not like we were told we could hook up a DVD player.

Towels were a problem...we were 5 people and our room only had 4 little towels upon check-in. I did ask for more and they gave me about 6 more after I returned the 4 dirty ones. Not a major thing, but I think for the price we paid we should have had more than 4 towels when they knew 5 people were checking in. Also, my son had to sleep on the couch and there was no bedding in the room for that. I asked for it and they gave it to me immediately, though, so problem solved.

Overall, from what I've seen of the rooms available in Seaside, this is one of the better motels. I just think that at $190 a night (including the tax), the room was overpriced. I would have gladly given up some of the perks and saved some money getting a "less-than-perfect" room (more to spend on rides, arcades, nice meals, etc.).

Another thing to think about...we were on the 2nd floor, meaning we had people above us on the 3rd floor. They sounded like elephants were ready to crash through the ceiling and this went on at all hours...especially lovely at 6 a.m.

The owners/desk clerks were nice enough but a tiny bit uppity and at times made me feel like I was "under" them. I don't know how to explain that, but that's how I felt.

We did end up extending our vacation and we got a room at the motel next door for one night. It wasn't as perfect but it was $80 less a night, allowing me too spend the savings on my kids' entertainment and enjoyment. (...and only one floor...aaahhh, quiet!)

If your'e looking for luxury and perks, and don't mind spending the $$$, the Sunburst is a great hotel. Just be sure to bring lots of towels and earplugs (or request a top floor room!).

• Liked — Cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — Lack of linens and noisy upstairs guests
1 Thank karenmon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

Stayed at the Sunburst I for the AVP volleyball event July 5-8 in Seaside Heights, NJ.
Finding a family friendly place in Seaside is a chore, but the Sunburst is a standout star. Clean, spacious room, well/nice/family run and reasonably priced. Just two blocks from the boardwalk. Some of the AVP staff and players stayed here as well for the event. The only downside is the small parking area. You need to get here early in order to get a parking spot. But once parked, there is no need to move your car because everything is within walking distance.
Had a small problem with the AC, reported it to management in the AM, was fixed by late afternoon. Very accomodating, polite management. Hope to go back.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — parking
1 Thank cargolite
pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

Myself & my 3 children had a very enjoyable stay at the Sunburst I. Very clean. Very helpfull staff. Close to beach & boardwalk. We don't have to search where we'll stay next year.

• Liked — cleanliness
1 Thank oinkoink134
Milton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2006

Well, if I had to list all of the great things about the Sunburst Motel, the list would be quite long. Mr. and Mrs. Heffernan and their family deserve much appreciation for the wonderful work that they put into making their motel a "home away from home" for every single guest. We have been staying there over 10 years now and I plan to continue staying at the Sunburst every year for many years to come. From the moment you arrive, Butch, Joanne and Tyler go the extra mile to make your stay comfortable.
The rooms in the Sunburst are among the largest hotel rooms I have ever seen (in my opinion, bigger than the rooms that are featured at many luxury hotels).
From the free bagels, coffee and tea to the free poolside pizza parties to the warm and welcoming conversations that Joanne and Butch initiate with their guests, make the Sunburst Motel the greatest motel, not only in Seaside Heights, but the entire NJ shore.
Thank you again for a wonderful stay as usual!
Mike

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank CollegeMike
Albrightsville, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

This was our first time at Sunburst and I know it won't be the last. I'm a fussy motel person, (my family can vouch for that) if it looks slightly dirty I'd turn around and leave. The Sunburst is so clean, you could eat off the floors. I was completely impressed with it. The beds are very comfortable and seem on the new side, so that was another plus right there. We stayed in an efficiency suite, bedroom, living room & kitchen (stove, sink, micro & fridge) , table & 4 chairs & all utensils were included. All we had to bring was the food. The staff was very pleasant and whatever you needed they were all happy to help. The kids loved the pool. The motel is so conveniently located....1 1/2 blocks from boardwalk and beach. Once you park your car, you won't need it til you leave. We stayed 6 days and never started the car! It's location is quiet. No noise from the boardwalk or clubs, etc. I would hightly recommend this motel to all I know. If I could, I would make only one suggestion, the couch & love seat should be replaced as they have seen better days. Other than that minor thing, I loved this motel. They will definately see us next summer again!!

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank hipichik68
North Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2006

I just returned from my family's annual stay at the Sunburst Motel in Seaside Heights, NJ, and we had a great time, as expected. We have been staying there for the past ten years, and every year it gets better. Every year the owners' son picks my family up from the train station, takes us to the local grocery store to pick up supplies, and drives us to the hotel. I don't know any other hotel that would extend this courtesy. And we love that the owners are on the premises everyday, interacting with the guests. Over the years we have stayed in regular rooms and efficiency suites and have never been disappointed with our accomodations. We love that we don't have to bring anything with us for the kitchen because it has all the tools we need in it. The maids are so friendly and well trained. They are always willing to help and our room was always very clean. The beds are very comfortable, and you can tell that everything is well maintained. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Seaside Heights.

• Liked — caring staff, cleanliness, comfortable accomodations
  • Tips/Secrets — book as early as possible - we book in February to secure our favorite room!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank mama71102
Bronx, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

I am a single mom with 2 children ages 11 and 13 with a budjet. When I plan a trip for me and my children I need a clean, comfortable and quiet place to stay that's affordable! And thats exactly what I got at Sunburst Motel. The prices was great especially being on a budget and asking for so much in return. When I got there on thursday after driving for 2 hours, I was happy when they said Pizza for everyone at 1pm, Wow I thought that was really great. I was surprized when I entered the kitchen, I was in shock to see pots, pans and utensils! They even had a can opener! I was so happy because in the mist of my packing for my weekend I forgotten a few items in the last minute so seeing these items saved my dinner! The room was great! Everything was nice, neat and very clean! The pool is not huge but it was refreshing and warm, I didnt have that uneasy feeling when entering the water because it was a heated pool. I also took advantage of the electric grill and cooked hamburgers and hot dogs for my children. Now the location was simply just perfect only 2 blocks to the broadwalk / beach / carnival and just 2 blocks from the water park! I didnt have to drive anywhere! (with the gas prices nowadays!) I loved my stay at the Sunburst Motel, I am already planning my summer vacation for next year. I would be returning with family and friends! But this time I am definately staying longer.

3 Thank imontanez