“Great Location..Needs a LOT of Work”

Sea Gem Motel and Apartments
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
New York
“Great Location..Needs a LOT of Work”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

With a little work this motel could be awesome..The rooms were clean but overall the place is a little frightening..Would definitely say if you have children to rethink and stay somewhere else..People who have been displaced from Hurricane Sandy have been placed here to live by the state and although I empathize with these individuals I really don't understand how Seaside Heights expects to rebuild the tourist community with degenerates occupying their beach motels..There is NO housekeeping..You have to make up your room and even get your own towels daily..I DEFINITELY would NOT stay here on the weekend..This seems to be when young party people show up and create havoc..Police were there during my stay due to an assault caused by drunken madness..I hafta say that if all you need is a clean room within a half block of the boardwalk and beach then you may consider staying here..The price is cheap..beach badges are given without deposit but they do ask for your ID to hold until you return the badge..I simply told them I was not comfortable with leaving my ID and they gave me the badges anyway..It actually saddens me to see such a "GEM" of a motel being treated like a "DEN"..If the owner and management of this establishment put in a little bit of time and effort to restore the place..add in housekeeping and rid the motel of the trash that the state has placed here to live..they could very well raise the rates and have many families enjoy it for the Summer Season..Good Luck to anyone who ventures there..If you are a judgemental priss don't even bother..We stuck it out and made the best of it..Won't return though..Like I stated..it's a damn shame that greedy owners would let this place go..It could make MILLIONS>>

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Roxbury, New Jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I went down around May 20th. My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights, arriving and checking in at 2:00 in the morning. Ken, the man at the counter stayed up and gave us our keys and checked us in. He was really friendly. I didn't want to judge the motel although I read the many bad reviews by the ample amount of people that have had bad experiencesm, so I decided to go and take a look for myself. Before checking in, my girlfriend and I walked into the room we were given and the place was a lot better than what the reviews have told me. The beds were clean and everything (microwave, tv, shower, faucet, fridge) was in working condition. The bathrooms were relatively clean. We each payed 84 dollars; 2 people for 2 nights. I guess we got what we payed for. It was a small motel 2 minutes away from the boardwalk. It was definitely worth the money and I had a fun time. The guy working there (Ken) is Indian I believe, and has a REALLY heavy accent so it takes some time getting used to. He is a very nice person though. I will probably be renting a room out another time in the future with my friends or girlfriend. There were no bed bugs or any bugs of that sort anywhere within our room. In fact, when we were checking out, there was a Terminix card on the counter so they probably took care of that problem some time before I got there. But anyways, great place:)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clou13
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travelled to Seaside during the Labor Day weekend with my friends. There was no room available, so we went for Seagem motel inspite of the bad reviews I had read. To our surprise, the rooms were very clean and comfy; facing the clear poolside. We enjoyed the barbeque by the poolside, the free beach passes and the breakfast coupons. Such a service was very well worth the price. ON questioning the manager about the kind of reviews, he explained the transition of management of the hotel and the quick responsibilities they have assumed to put things in order. Enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

Room Tip: Poolside view is nice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jk_2106
East Rutherford
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My fiance and I were supposed to spend a couple of nights at this motel. We had stayed there about 3 years or so ago and the rooms were clean and not expensive when it was family owned and operated. They now have a new owner and it is disgusting and filthy. I'm glad we asked to see the rooms before paying because we saw about 5 different rooms and they were equally dirty and disgusting. I felt like I needed to jump into a shower after leaving there. Also, the guy at the front desk said the rate was $169 a night plus tax but once he saw I was hesitant to stay he kept dropping the price down. His last offer was $150 including tax, however, if he gave us the room for free I wouldn't have stayed there. It's a shame a place like this is allowed to be in business.

Room Tip: Run don't even walk away from this dump!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randi R

Travelers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This place is absoulutely RANCID, HORRID, DISGUSTING. We stayed in the appartnemnts....and its said when the two bedroom rooms are CLEANER than the APARTMENTS. Worst 2 days of my entire life, We were greeted by a smelly room, with Wet floors, and counters, a Fridge not cold, a front door with a broken door without a lock, dents in the walls, stains everywhere, and MOLDY PIZZA IN THE MICROWAVE from the LAST people who stayed theyre who knows when?!?! We had to check for bed bugs, and we waited 4 hours for the room to be ready, i guess the creepy maitnance man was lazy on the boards. We came to have fun, and left in a hurry, dont walk away from this gem...RUN. This place is below terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank jratta777
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This place was terrible to look at. When we arrived the outside looked very runned down. The rooms were disgusting to look at, could not even imagine sleeping in them. The rooms smelled terrible. Stay away as far as possible from this place. We asked for our money back and left to find another motel. See the Colony motel comment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MS7026
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed August 3, 2011

In all my years of travel, this is by far the worst hotel/motel I have ever stayed at. We had booked the 3 bedroom apartment, and it was filthy.
No doors on the closets, food left in the microwave. I have seen better furniture at the dump. The swimming pool was small, and dirty.
I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible experience this was.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room here.
Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends