“This place is disgusting....DO NOT stay here”
Review of Seaside Sands Inn

Seaside Sands Inn
Seaside Sands Inn
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Reviewed July 25, 2007

The other reviews described this place perfectly. It is the most filthy, nasty place I have ever been in. When we got to this dump of a motel, we were told we would have to park in front of a dumpster and would be blocked by another car also. So the lady at the front desk said we would have to leave our keys with her. Uh I don't think so! What do we look like...complete fools. We get to our room...if that is what you could call it. I would say more like our dumpster which looked nothing like the "clean" rooms they had on their website. The place was a disaster. The one bed was half off the frame, there were bugs in the bathroom, the bathroom was filthy. The floor was covered in sand and stuff from the people who had stayed before. The sheet and bedspread were stained. There was a very nasty odor and the door lock did not work! We asked for our money back and told them why. They told me that the floors are hard to clean because of the sand...I told them to get a new vacuum then! When we asked for our money back the lady gave me two receipts back...one for what we were charged that night and another for the deposit. I should have looked at the reciept closer because I thought she refunded my deposit which turns out she tried to charge me $100 extra. I did not realize this until after I got home a few days later. I have been on the phone for days now bickering with the maneger there who has yelled at me numerous times and basically told me I was lying about the bugs and the flithy room. In the end, I am out the deposit(which was more then stated on their website) and they are refunding me the extra $100 that the girl "mistakely" charged me. The manager told me that I should expect this from a cheaper motel and that it was my fault that I did not look in the room before I paid. Now I know better! I have never seen anything like this in my life! We ended up staying at the Sea Palace Inn which we were very pleased with. Please whatever you do...don't stay at the Seaside Sands...it is the biggest dump and would have slept on the sidewalk before I stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 18, 2007

The place is in a great location about a block from the beach right in the heart of the boardwalk. The rooms were ok. They need some work, but for the most part it was clean. I think some paint/new wallpaper would help alot. Management is very helpful and nice. They are also quick to fix whatever problems one may have. They dont clean rooms daily, you have to ask for towels, toilet paper, etc but I liked it better that way because nobody goes in your room. If your gonna spend most of your time out and you need a place to sleep at a descent price than I would say this place is good.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2006

When I made our reservations online it was the Gangplank. When we got to NJ we could not find the Gangplank so I called their # only to be told they had changed the name to Seaside Sands--go figure! When we pulled up in front I was skeptical to say the least. When we went to check the room we found a mess! Dresser drawers with clothes, wet towels and metal shavings in them! WHAT A DISGUSTING MESS! We turned the air conditioner on and smoke came out. When we asked for our money back we were told we could get 2 nights back but they were keeping the 3rd night as a deposit because we had not cancelled 2 weeks in advance. How did we know in advance what this hole would look like when we got there!!

The Deems, Ohio

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New jersey
Reviewed June 14, 2006

This motel has changed from last year. The rooms have been renaved and new manamgers are nice people. they kept it clean and our room had eveything working. A first to find in seaside heights. clean and safe is all i can say. we had a good time and were not bothered by anyone anytime. we dint even have to haslle to get towles or toilet paper. Best time is seaside heights and love to go back again.

• Stayed: May 2006
Westfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 9, 2005

We spent a week at Seaside Heights at the Gangplank, family of four - two adults and two children, 15 & 10. It is what you would expect at a base rate of $65/night. Our room was average. Two queen size beds, TV, refrigerator, microwave, table & chairs and the bathroom. Our room was clean and for the most part presentable. The only complaint was that the bathroom door handle was ready to fall off. The manager was certainly accommodating. There is no housekeeping during your stay. I actually prefer it that way - no strangers in my room. We asked for more towels and toilet paper - nothing was a problem. He also gave us beach passes for the days we were there. The parking is "very" tight. This motel does not have a pool. We were busy at the beach all day and boardwalk at night. Certainly didn't miss the pool. This motel is a great value if you're on a limited budget - as we were since this vacation was definitely last minute - we didn't have a lot of $$$ set aside. I read some of the negative comments before I actually booked the room. I thought - oh what the hell - we're only going to be sleeping there anyway. The location is excellent. I have to admit - it certianly isn't as bad as the comments I read. I think if you go into knowing that this isn't the Belair.........and the manager and staff deserve just as much respect as you do - it's all good. In comparison - If any of you have stayed at a Motel 8 - it's similar to that.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
City, State
Reviewed September 9, 2004

The old saying proves true! The location was GREAT but the place was absolutley filthy!!!! The manager, how should I say...he seemed nice on the phone but once i met him, I guess I could say that I didn't feel really comfortable staying there, not creepy maybe just crooked. We stayed one night, then went to the Hershey, that was better(didn't see any other hotels, so I can't really compare it to anythiing else). My advice: If you stay at the Gangplank, bring your own sheets, blankets, pillows, towels, all toiletries, flip- flops to wear in the shower and on the carpet and plan on spending as LITTLE time as possible in that room. It's very possible, there's a lot to do(the beach, the boardwalk, clubs and all that stuff). If you're looking for The Drake, The W or a place like Bally's or Belagio, this place is a cardboard box compared to those. Good luck and remeber to ALWAYS ask to see any room before you check in.

• Stayed: January 2005
Glens Falls, NY
Reviewed July 14, 2004

It was the worst experience EVER! We stayed one night and got our money back. They tried to take our money up front but we would not let them. The room was SOOO NASTY. The carpet looked and felt dirty, therefore we wore shoes the whole time. Thank goodness I brought an extra blanket and pillows. The bathroom...lets not go there. No lock on the door and you could see the outside even when the door was shut. The manager...if you want to call him that, kept saying they were remodling and our room was one of the clean ones. I wonder were they get there stuff. I would not recommend this place even to my enemy. DO NOT GO HERE no matter how cheap you are. That was my case. We went some place else and had a fabulous time. OH...and they let some sketchy people hang around the hotel. I did not feel safe here at all or leaving my stuff in the room when I was gone.