“Not what I expected at ALL.”
Review of Buoy 16 Motel

Buoy 16 Motel
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Seaside Heights
New Paltz, New York, United States
“Not what I expected at ALL.”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Price was decent, across the street from the beach, decent sized room- those were the only perks of this hotel.
Upon arrival, I was asked to park my car into the back of their very tiny parking lot. I was asked if I would be coming in and out a lot. I said not likely, but who is to know- this is my vacation. Well needless to say I could not use my car until check out as they blocked my car in with other guests cars. Although the beach and boardwalk were across the street, it would have been nice to explore more than just walking distance attractions/restaurants/stores.
My second disappointment: They didn't have fitted sheets. They placed 1 regular top sheet over the matress- as if that would stay on the bed during the night- so we slept on a bare mattress. Two VERY hard pillows were supplied- so that sheet did come in handy as a second softer pillow. They do not do room service, or cleaning, or extra towels during your stay. What you have is what you get. We were constantly asked not to track sand into the hotel from the beach. Continuously. Kind of annoying- yes we stomped our feet but how does one really remove all of the sand? C'mon.
Curiously my fiance' liked this dump. Go figure.
Definitely overpriced for the service and amenities.
No pool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The staff was rude and overbearing, they charge the same price as much nicer places in the area but they do not provide housekeeping or are nice at all. We felt uncomfortable from the moment we pulled up and the staff was always watching us when we were near the motel. It felt like a school trip, with the staff asking questions about what we were doing or who we were seen walking with in front of the motel. There was no sense of hospitality and I would not ever stay here again. Overpriced for the quality of the place and way too many rules

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Abc1274

Travelers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

Reviewed June 24, 2012

This motel is great for the price you pay it is clean and comfortable. The hotel manager is helpful and friendly. The location is perfect close to boardwalk, karma and shore house. I enjoyed my stay

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Beachgirl1820
boston
Reviewed April 15, 2012

the location is the best , the room is very clean ,the workers are very nice, we stayed three nights over the motel we love it , we will be back again in the summer,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kelly s
Brockport, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2011

It is very close to the boardwalk and that is about it. Room was dirty, refrigerator was dirty, no microwave, parking lot is very small ( had to have cars moved to get our car in and out), lamp had exsposed wires and was taped back together, plywood under the matresses cause they were soooooo worn. I can't believe the health department has not shut them down. I would definately not recomend this hotel to anyone. I figured it would not be the Taj Mahal because of the price but this was too much filth for anyone to handle.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Albany, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The location is the best thing about this place, but I was turned off by the rest of what this motel had to offer. I don't pretend to be a Ms. Snooty Pants about where I stay when I'm going away with my friends . The goal is cheap, clean and close to the action.

The inexpensive goal was almost met, except the desk charged an additional $50 for our room on top of the rate advertised online when we called to make reservations (I personally feel it was due to having a man make the call). Also, a microwave was supposed to be included in the amenities, which had to be brought to us upon notifying management. Usual hotel amenities not included - blow dryer, alarm clock, telephone, iron, toiletries and reasonable parking (the owner had to move his car every time we wanted to leave because he blocked us in due to insufficient parking space).

Clean isn't exactly how I'd describe this place. Clean enough if one isn't looking too hard, but we saw wrappers against the wall behind the bare minimum furniture (salvation army-style dresser and desk), mold beneath the a/c unit, no toilet seat cover and prison-type-disposable-in-shower floor mats. At least the bed sheets smelled like they had been bleached. Also the lighting was absolutely horrible - especially if you're trying to put your face on before heading out! The beds were so soft and bouncy that every movement could be felt by the person sleeping next to you. The tv volume didn't go high enough to hear over the a/c. The pull-out couch had obviously seen better days. Yeah, definitely sketchty.

Upon leaving, we had noticed the car we had brought had been damaged (someone must have walked into/fallen on the side mirror and busted it off). It was brought to management's attention, who asked US how it could have happened and then slammed the door in our faces when we said he'd be getting the bill for the repair cost since it had happend on his property. Also, management (just this one guy who clearly ran the place by himself) waited for us outside of our room at our check out time as we packed up our cars. He had a couple of teenagers with him who were his "daily maid service" (and weren't daily at all since this was the only time they were seen - to the point where we had to ask for more toilet paper and towels ourselves).

Over all, the place was sufficient enough to keep us from the elements, but not somewhere I'd confidently recommend to a friend. : (

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank J K
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I want to let everyone that the negatives about this motel is nothing what they said. I was expecting the worst cause of the comments and reviews. I walked in my room and it was really clean. The bathroom was clean and huge. We felt very comfortable and safe there. I even went to the manager at 11:00pm cause the people above us were jumping or running after the 10:00pm quiet hour, he took care of it right away and even came to make sure they stop. They were very respectful and helpful to us. We will going back to this hotel again recommend it to everyone.Also it was very close to everything and didn't have to pay for all day parking, only the day when we checked out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family