“Not Worth the Money”
Review of Hemingway's Cafe

Hemingway's Cafe
Cuisines: American, Bar, Sushi
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West New York, New Jersey
“Not Worth the Money”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have been vacationing in Seaside Heights for many years and have seen many restaurants come/go and change and Hemingways Cafe was no exception. Evem before Hurricane Sandy, it was an establishment much like the others along the strip; food was a little overpriced/expected for what it was, but you were given a decent quantity of tasty food, with fairly good service.
I made reservations for my party of 9 for 8 p.m. on a Friday evening(not necessary because the restaurant was empty) we were seated right away ordered our drinks, which arrived quickly, albeit the order was not correct in three instances and confused with the rest. The evening went down hill from there.
The wait person could not get our dinner orders straight either. When the "supposed" Greek salad's arrived ($ 7.00 a plate for one salad) I noted that it was the size of a dessert plate sans feta cheese, olives, tomatoes, with two very small slivers of red onion and three small croutons (in a Greek salad? the salad looked suspiciously like spinach). When questioned where the missing ingrediants were, we only received an apology and two miniscule bowls arrived with three olives and 1/2 teaspoon of feta cheese.
Four of my party ordered the steak sliders, including me (cost of approx. $ 9.00 for 3 very small sliders, mine with blue cheese at a $ 1.00 extra) when it arrived ,I asked which one is the slider with the blue cheese,the waitress had a vacant stare and realized that none of the sliders had blue cheese.My blue cheese arrived in the same minisule bowl that the olives and feta arrived in (NOT TAKEN OFF THE BILL) not enough for three sliders.
The "steak" consisted of two/half small chunks of the tough end portion of the steak with half being fat.The other members of my group did not fare much better! We were afraid to order dessert and coffee.
I understand cutbacks had to be made due to the hurricane damage, but the highly overpriced, poor quality food/portions and not so great service just does not justify the cost.

• Visited June 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Fun Place”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was for a High School reunion. Hemingways is an interesting place. It is clean and nice. The food was really good. And the service was fine. At 10pm the dividing walls come down and the place morphs into a dance club. Very interesting place. One of the nicer places on the barrier island.

Visited July 2013
Waterbury
“great bar, happy hour”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This huge place has several bar areas, a quieter dining room and another room for events (and clubbing at night). Good appetizer menu and cocktails!

Visited June 2013
Dorset, UK
“Very indulgent food and a good bar - let down by poor service.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had an early-ish supper here and sat outside on their gated terrace area - very pleasant when the sun is shining! All five of us had excellent entrées, and I especially enjoyed my ravoli with pork rib and truffle oil! The cocktail list is great, too, and we enjoyed a few drinks before finishing dinner. The only downsides? A lacklustre, disinterested waitress, and prices that are certainly on the higher end of the spectrum. Still, the quality makes it worthwhile.

• Visited June 2013
“One of the Best”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Amazing restaurant by day and great bar by night, this place has it all. Their tuna and steaks are some of the best within a very far drive. One of the cleaner and classier bars in the evening, this is one of my two favorite places in Seaside Heights!

Visited May 2013