“Disappointed”

Mike's Seafood & Dock Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Where the Locals Go for Fresh Seafood! Mike's Seafood and Dock Restaurant - Helping Visitors to Sea Isle City create memories that last a lifetime!
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Been meaning to write this review for awhile. Went there at the beginning of Aug with 4 other people. Three ordered lobsters which were terribly overcooked and came out rubbery. How in the world can a seafood restaurant overcook a whole lobster. You time it and pull it out of the pot. Rather basic. My culinary skills are far from perfect but I never messed up boiling a live lobster! Also, I ordered grilled swordfish which came out totally overcooked and dry. Shame of it was, was that it was a very nice piece of fish. I do have to say that the large order of clams that we shared for an app were very tasty which makes the entrees that were overcooked puzzling. Ironically, the best dish was the chicken parm that my daughter ordered, which was surprisingly good. One of our group had gotten take out the summer before and had a good experience. So I don't know if I'd role the dice again. Reviews seem to either very,very good or "here's a dead horse shoe crab for you."

1  Thank Joe K

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Purchased fish from Mike's Fish Market for years and was always satisfied. Decided to try his restaurant. Big mistake. The picnic tables were dirty as well as the floor. A waitress had a plastic pale with dirty water in it that she was wiping tables off with. Looking at the menu I noticed the prices were higher then most of the air conditioned area restaurants in Sea Isle and Avalon and Cape May. We left and ate in Avalon.

2  Thank Jack B
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We went here with a group of seven and had such a great time! It was the typical beach type, where you order up front, eat on picnic tables, with paper towels, and byob. Our food was delicious, service quite good, and all in all a very fun experience! There are always huge crowds, which speaks for itself.
We will certainly go back!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just plain like this place: from the picnic tables to the menu, to the great customer service. You can sit on the back bay (albeit under cover if it rains) to enjoy fresh seafood, prepared as well as anyone can prepare seafood that isn't fine dining. Just short of that, and still very, very good! Fun place!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went twice last week with different guests who wanted to see what the fuss was about and others who'd been there before.

Let's start with the bad to get it out of the way:
1)"Crab ball" appetizer" - Ok. Sorta tasty. Basically like something you'd get from the freezer section, though - gumball-sized (1") fried balls of "crab substance", I suppose. That's not the bad part. The bad part is that if you order a "crab cake" - it's the same, mayonnaise-or-whatever laden "pudding of crab", but larger. And more expensive. They should be embarrassed.

2) STOP DROPPIPNG A STACK OF CUPS INTO YOUR WATER PITCHERS WHEN YOU BRING THEM TO THE TABLE. It's not cute; it's disgusting: your waitstaff is grabbing all of the dirty garbage off of people's tables, then grabbing cups and throwing them in my water? Seriously?

3) I know it's near the end of the summer and it's nice and cheap to hire waitstaff that barely seems like they're on the job. It shows. Except that one 12-year-old kid; he was doing his rounds, I guess, walking around looking at tables.

4) The kids' fried fish was about as dry as it gets. And by that, I mean completely free of moisture.

5) They really ought to stop with the condiment containers of tartar and cocktail sauces, but I suppose that not only is it more expensive to do, but they figure they're busy enough and don't have to improve. That's annoying, but understandable.

6) One minus is that if you go late in the day, lots of people are going to have direct sun in their face. I suppose not important enough for owners to hang a few shades.

Ok, on to the good.
1) Jamaican shrimp were great. Had them twice.

2) I don't crack crabs but my guests said the crab was fantastic. Based on how much was left (none) I think they're on the mark. My guess is that if Mike's really wanted to, they could do only crabs and still have a crowd.

3) Guests loved the other steamed shrimp as well.

4) Wait wasn't too long for us.

5) I'm guessing a lot of other steamed stuff is good.

So, there you have it. I guess to summarize, the fried stuff we had was not good. The steamed stuff was. Here's the thing: I hate lazy management/owners, and that's multiplied by high prices. $20 for two large crab balls is ridiculous, and unsanitary waitstaff / process (the cups in the water) is inexcusable. I was tempted to go one point lower on the rating to 2 because of these things. They are resting on their laurels, and rely on hype more than quality.

I am giving a 3 to be nice as I didn't try everything on their menu, obviously, and some of the stuff we had was good. Average is about it for me. A restaurant can't be accurately rated on a fraction of their menu, but experience counts. Too many reviews based on nostalgia here.

1  Thank oandroido