“This place makes me nervous”

Carmen's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 78 Restaurants in Sea Isle City
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lewistown, PA
“This place makes me nervous”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is obviously an "old favorite" in Sea Isle City, but when we go there, I wonder what's going to go wrong. It's a kind of scroungy-looking place, open air overlooking a canal with some industrial-looking boats. The usual tank full of lobsters out front; in the restaurant the tables are pretty close together. I'm glad I've never been there in high season - it must be really difficult to find a parking space, and all those seats outside the restaurant probably mean you have to wait forever to get a table. The food? Well, I ordered baked crab Imperial, and when it came out it was really dry. End of story.

Piscataway, New Jersey
“No attention to preparation”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our family (six of us) ate at Carmen's a couple of nights ago. My husband had a lobster tale ($41.00) that he had to fight to get out of the shell. Normally a restaurant will loosen the lobster meat before preparation. At $41.00 one would expect to not to fight to get the lobster out of the shell. I had the fried seafood platter. It was a great selection of fish - scallops, shrimp, crab cake, fried clam strips, and flounder. It was all over-cooked. The clam strips weren't edible. Four members of our party had dinner's they enjoyed. The salads were good. The steamed vegetables were extremely mushy.

Bordentown, New Jersey
“Best Seafood Restaurant on the Island”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My family and I go here for dinner all the time! We love it here! I always get the sauteed crab meat and get a side of pasta and make my own dish. Angel hair and jumbo lump crab meat with their homeade sauce! To die for! I can't believe I just gave away my secret. Try it, you won't be disappointed. There is a couple of more weekends before they close of shop for the winter.

Visited September 2012
Staten
“Carmens - The cocktail sauce was the only good thing”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I drove down to Sea Isle City to try Carmens - we heard some pretty good things about it. Maybe it was the off hour (2pm) or maybe it was the day and date (Friday, Sept. 7) but I gotta say...."meh" is the only good thing we can say about it ; and a low "meh" at that. When we got there we were the only folks in the place. Maybe we got the second string wait staff but it was almost like we were doing them a favor. For a place that touts its seafood we found the menu sparse ( unless you like burgers, etc). We had 1/2 pound of shrimp as a starter and it was ok. I ordered the fried clams and got fried oysters. My wife ordered the soft shell crab sandwich, and got....nothing. They were out of soft shell crabs. So she ordered a veggie burger instead. We had to constantly wave over the waitress for extra napkins, more lemonade, etc. Like they were swamped with folks. Prices were ok.
Seems like a lot of competing places in the area. Maybe one of those next time

Levittown, Pennsylvania
“Specials during the summer, BYOB and right on the water”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The location is excellent right on the bay, on a beautiful night with a breeze the weather is all you will need. First off a warning they do not split checks and will only take 1 credit card per party so make sure you have it all sorted with the members in your party! Short wait on a Wednesday night in August, BYOB which is a definite hit so pack a cooler, Entrees were an average of $27 which is on the higher end of the casual / sit-down dinner range. Bread keeps coming which is great, service was friendly and as fast as it could be as this place is extremely large and so must be the sections for the servers. Food quality was very good and the size of the plates were enough to fill a grown man, I ate the Scallops and Shrimp linguine, the scallops were jumbo and well cooked as were the shrimp. Overall a very good place to eat if you don't mind spending $40 a person, right on the bay, nice a polite staff , great food quality and a decent pace of service. What else do you need when you are on vacation? Stop by and check it out for yourself!

• Visited August 2012