“Great Location, Stupid Place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sea Girt
Beacon House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Sea Girt B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 26, 2010

The location is beautiful. It's expensive for the value. Cheap everything. Pillows, blankets, furniture, towels, yeck. Lousy food. And the bonus? If you get a room on the Ocean side, the quaint little restaurant across the street turns into a very noisy and late college night club, so do not plan to relax in your room. They talked a good game on the phone, but did not meet our expectations, and they made no apologies for it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jazzy0054

Reviewed July 14, 2009

After researching a number of Inns in Spring Lake/Sea Girt area, THIS IS THE ONE! The "Beacon House" in Sea Girt is a two-home compound which is PRESTINE, CHARMING AND WELCOMING. Planned a 3 three day vacation with my Mom, husband and two kids under 12. After visting a number of the Inns in Spring Lake, none met my expetations. They were very dated and dark. I had done some research about the Beacon House but wasn't sure staying in Sea Girt was what we were looking for since everyone was talking so highly about Spring Lake. Well, this is exactly what we were looking for--a beautiful beach, clean, not crowded, family friendly and a terrific boardwalk. I can't say enough about the staff at the Beacon House. Cathy, who receives guests, is so lovely and accommodating. Candie, the owner of the Inn, is passionate about keeping this Inn a tranquil place and went out of her way to to make all of us feel so welcome and comfortable. Her homemade breakfast was wonderful. My children, who are picky eaters, loved her pina colata muffins so much that Candie wrapped the extras for us to take to the beach. She made my children feel so at home and welcome. She is always willing to offer suggestions on dining in the area. Our most favorite spot was the "Red Lobster Pot" in Point Pleasant. It is an outdoor/indoor restaurant where you see the lobster boats coming in to drop off their catch of the day at the restaurant. A little pricy, but worth it for the freshness of the seafood and they don't get you on the drinks since it is byob. The Beacon House is a quiet "get away" for adults, but families are also welcome. I would recommend this Inn for families with well behaved children who can appreciate the attention to detail and passion for a tranquil place to relax and enjoy simple ocean living.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2009

The owner and manager made our stay great....they were helpful with dinner reservations and entertainment advice and directions. The rooms were tidy and clean. The location was ideal for all ages in our family--1 short block to the ocean, swimming pool, next door was a great restaurant with good food and a breezy porch. The Beacon House is a step back into the days of yesteryear---CHARMING old beach house....breakfast was wonderful each morning. The owner bent over backwards to make our stay perfect. I can't wait to return for another visit.
Helen Kaufman, Charlotte, N.C.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2009

My husband and I all but filled all the rooms in the two houses with our guests from our wedding.It was a picture perfect place for a special occasion.In between the church ceremony and the reception we had 3 hours to kill with all out of town guests to entertain. We went to the Beacon House with the wedding guests and mingled on the large victorian porches and on the lovely lawn area between the two houses sipping champagne. I felt like we were in the Hamptons not the Jersey shore.The breakfasts were out of this world delicious.The rooms were very clean.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Lovely Place, Lovely location, nice people, room clean and adequate. Would stay again when in area

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I had the pleasure of discovering the Beacon house on the recomendation of a friend who had seen it while visiting family. I went for a short visit of 3 days. I had a great experience. I went for a relaxing "girlfriend trip" and got more than I expected.
From the moment we checked in everyone was so helpful and friendly. The main house was nicely decorated and very inviting.
The location (1 block from the beach) could not be beat. They give you a beach pass and chairs to use during your stay, also bikes are available. There is a very nice very clean swimming pool between the 2 houses which we used every day. There were many flowering plants and bushes that made the pool look so beautiful.
The breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Blueberry pancakes one day and a great egg casserole and homemade strawberry bread the next. The Parker house was located across the street and that was great for a burger after the beach.
I was happily surprised to find out on the day of check out you are allowed to use the beach pass and the pool. There is a cabana with a shower and toilet that you are welcome to use. This perk allows you to enjoy another full day of fun in the sun.
I will definetly return and I will be bringing my fiance as I know he would enjoy it as well.
I had some business that I had to address and both Candy and Cathy were very helpful with assisting with faxes etc.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We were checked in by the manager, I believe, not the owner. The manager was less than welcoming which really surprised me considering it's a B&B.

We asked some general questions which seemed to be answered in an obviously condescending tone. She just made it seem like we were annoying her. She was firm on the rules of the house, the fees we would pay should we lose any passes, and just made us feel more like we wanted to stay out of her way, then smile and say hello when she passed.

I've stayed in other B&B's and usually in addition to being friendly, the staff points out that drinks and snacks are available during the day and are complimentary. Not here. It felt very chintzy cheap, they charged you for a soda, water, or a tiny bag of chips.

The room we stayed in was one of the more expensive rooms and it was teeny tiny. Basically, it's the size a small bedroom in a small house. The bathroom was so small, they could not fit the sink inside, so it was at the foot of the bed. The shower was definitely made for petite people, let's just say. That would all be fine, but it was expensive.

It is a quick walk to the beach and there was a pool which is nice. It's a pretty location, the breakfast was tasty, but limited. It's not choices, it's 'here's what's for breakfast', or have cold cereal.

Overall, it's a nice getaway, but not worth over $300 per night.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank clearbluewater11
BeaconHouse, Owner/Innkeeper at Beacon House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2008

I’m so sorry that this guest had a bad experience at The Beacon House. My Assistant Innkeeper came to The Beacon House after a successful 20 year retail career where she dealt with the public every day. She is efficient, thorough and well liked by our guests and visitors. When she checks guests in, she shows them around the inn and the property, as it is a relatively large B&B comprised of two houses with a pool in between. The “rules of the house” are information helpful to guests such as breakfast and pool hours, location of amenities such as beach chairs, towels, ice machines and refrigerators, bicycles, parking and additional information to make their stay enjoyable. We offer complimentary beach passes and VIP passes to the Parker House and the replacement costs of these passes are explained to guests. Because we are a large B&B (18 rooms, 1 cottage and 2 efficiency studios), we can have up to 50 guests on premises at busy times. Therefore, we do not offer unlimited snacks and beverages for free. We have found that most guests appreciate our providing these items on the honor system for a modest charge. We frequently serve afternoon refreshments of cookies and lemonade which are complimentary. The room these guests stayed in is 17 feet long by 13 feet wide (220+ square feet). Yes, the sink is in the room and the bathroom is small. Guests definitely prefer having bath facilities in their room, however small, to shared hall baths as found in many B&Bs. The cost of this room during our Inn Season is $280 per night. This charge includes beach badges, use of our private pool, a full served breakfast each morning, beach chairs, beach towels, sand chairs, bicycles, Parker House passes, and onsite parking. The Beacon House is located just a short block from our beautiful Sea Girt beach. I find it especially difficult to believe anyone could use the word “limited” to describe our breakfast. Each morning we serve a choice of 5 juices, 2 coffees, and a large selection of teas followed by a fresh fruit course and a hot entrée. On the sideboard there are fresh apples and bananas, hot and cold cereals, hot cocoa, hard cooked eggs and yogurts. Upon request, we always will prepare fried or scrambled eggs and toast if a guest does not care for our daily entrée. We get many compliments on our location, cleanliness, breakfast fare, and most importantly, service. Just check the reviews we’ve received on this site and others.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sea Girt
#6 of 7 in Spring Lake
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Beacon House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!