“Has potential..”

Dining options: Reservations
Kenilworth, New Jersey
“Has potential..”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Have wanted to go here and finally did. The place and atmosphere are nice. The beer selection is very good, but that is more my husbands thing. I had a dirty martini and was charged $13, I felt this was high for the area. We started with the Irish pretzel bites and cheese and they were delicious. I felt the entrees again were highly priced for pub food. Most meals were $18-24, and for what you got it wasn't worth it. I had the Chicken and waffles and was really disappointed. It was nothing special and they used dark meat, again for $18 I want white meat. My friend had the flank steak which again was nothing special. You could tell they copied the menu from the Hat Tavern, the Jersey burger is the same but more pricey. All in all I felt the atmosphere nice to go out for a drink and maybe an appetizer, but I would not sink my money into the food unless the chefs improved. Perhaps a more infused menu beyond Irish fare and burgers. The salad department needed work also- there were only 3 to choose from. The place has potential hopefully they improve! Also the servers need schooling, they interrupted consistently to clear dishes, it was annoying.

• Visited December 2012

Morristown, New Jersey, United States
“Thought it was just "okay"”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have been meaning to try this restaurant since it opened and finally had a chance. We went for lunch during the week and I have to admit we were slightly disappointed. The menu was small, really only burgers to choose from which is what we ordered. We also intended on going for appetizers but there were only four to choose from and we couldnt find anything we liked besides the wings. We were hoping for some nachos or something but no luck. The wings were delicious and were came with a choice of three sauces. We had two put on the side and they came out just the way I like them, crispy and flavorful and the sauces were great.

As for the burger we split, it had potential but the outside was charred. I know some people may like it like this but the taste of burned meat was a little overwhelming and had an unpleasant after taste. My fiance usually likes it like this but he agreed it wasn't very good.

Overall we had an average experience. The service was good, the tables were clean and the ambiance was pleasant. We tried to eat here one other time on a Saturday night and couldn't get in the door. The only thing I would come back for is maybe some drinks and wings to watch a game, but that would probably be it.

• Visited December 2012
New Jersey
“Was skeptical but good experience!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Live close by and stopped here for brunch after we couldn't get into dim-sum restaurant. Was actually on way to Tavern and saw the sign outside Darby Road. I wasn't sure the town needed another pub but I have to say it was a good experience. Lots of wood inside and sports bar feel with big TVs. Overall a noisy atmosphere but ok for this type of joint. The food was consistent and good although the cobb salad was a bit small. Also had to ask for dressing as it did not come with the salad. Will go back for dinner some time and test it out.

• Visited November 2012
Northern, NJ
“Darby Road is a great addition to Scotch Plains”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The place is new so they need time to work out the kinks. The design is nice and I like the layout albeit a bit loud. We were there around 5 PM on Sunday with a baby. It was pretty empty but the hostess couldn't seem to decide where to put us. She sat us with a high chair but failed to give us menus. I had to ask a passing waiter. The food came pretty quick and was delicious. The french onion soup dumplings were awesome. However, I had the fish and chips and while excellent, the portion size was smaller than I expected for pub fare. I basically got three large fish sticks on a basket of fries. Our glasses were never refilled and there was no offer to do so. I had to ask for refills but still never got it. In summation, service to portion size to price does not make sense in my experience. There are much better deals on pub fare in the area. However, I will give them time to hone their craft and then try again. There were several other menu options I would like to try. I think they are a good addition to our town and I hope they succeed.

• Visited November 2012
Clark, New Jersey
“Lunch is served!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our waitress,Autumn, was professional and knowledgeable about the unique items on the menu (everything from Irish Tacos to Bangers and Mash.) We enjoyed the Shrimp Po'Boy, Shephard's Pie and the Darby Road classic burger. Entrees were plentiful and tasty. We arrived at noon and enjoyed delightful conversation until more patrons filled the restaurant. The level of NOISE became unbearable. Voices rose and rose to be heard. We hope the restaurant corrects this negative aspect SOON!

1 Thank PatriciaN975