“Fantastic !!”

The Saddle River Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Saddle River Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: East Allendale Avenue & West Saddle River Road
Paramus, New Jersey
“Fantastic !!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

From the moment we entered the restaurant we were treated exceptionally well. The wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. Every dish we had looked like a piece of art and then the taste, well every bite bursted with flavor in our mouths. Definitely a place to go back to. We celebrated two birthdays and it is definitely the place to go.

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
“May I correct you?”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

This is in response to pdclarry's review. I must agree that the new owners are doing an outstanding job in continuing the tradition of the original Saddle River Inn. They are stylish and ambitious and we wish them only the greatest success. I am not writing this to defend or contest any of the claims in your review, I will however take exception to your description of 'the wagon wheel chandelier'. Your claim of 'having been a longtime customer of the Inn (30 years) totally baffled me. How could you have missed The Chandelier that hung at the Inn for over 25 years, was purchased at an exclusive auction and was the centerpiece of any article or review written about us? No 'wagon wheel chandelier' ever hung at the Inn, you must have confused us with another restaurant. I am happy that you enjoyed the new Saddle River Inn and I hope that you will continue your support and spread the good word.

Visited July 2013
NYC Area
“New face for an old favorite”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Saddle River Inn has been a favorite of ours for the past 30 years. It recently changed ownership (and chef), so we went back with a little trepidation. Our concerns were unfounded. If anything, it is better than ever. The BYO nature means that you can have fine wine with your meal and still keep the cost reasonable. The dishes we had included a couple that had been on the menu under the previous owner, and a couple of new and exciting selections. For appetizers we had roasted foie gras beet, pear and bleu cheese salad (both traditional). For entree's Red Snapper over white beans with sausage (innovative) and a rib eye steak with spicy baby shrimp (a real winner). The deserts were fairly standard, but well prepared and presented.

The old barn that houses the restaurant has had a facelift also, and it is an improvement. Gone is the wagon wheel chandelier, replaced with a astrolabe motif throughout the restaurant. The curtains have been removed from the windows, improving the view of the mill pond. On this visit the parking lot was still under construction, but when it is completed it will be a big improvement over the dirt lot of the past.

The total cost including tip came to about $100 each, not including the fine wine we brought. A real bargain.

Ridgewood, New Jersey
“Excellent meal all the way around”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I went here with my wife on our anniversary after reading the great review (3 ½ stars) in The Record. It lived up to high expectations. The service was excellent and unrushed. With the bread they gave a creamy, sweet pumpkin butter. We tried two appetizers on the menu. The escargot was enjoyed by my wife, though I didn’t love them as much as others I’ve had elsewhere. These were not the type where you take your bread afterwards and dip it into the garlicky juice. What was one of the best I’ve ever had was the seared foie gras. So rich and huge (made it worth the $20 price tag). For entrees we again stuck with the menu. The lobster risotto was very good, but the crab cakes were even better. The waiter told us the chef is from Baltimore and therefore really knew crab. He was right. They were not bready at all; it was mostly crab, not filler. Excellent. We topped our meal off with fig and plum crumble, and asked for a side scoop of the special ice cream flavor – sweet corn. Nice way to end the evening. It is a pretty restaurant, though a bit hard to find. And contrary to what a prior reviewer implied, the outdoor bathrooms are not the only ones available: there are both a men’s and ladies’ room on the first floor of the restaurant. Also note that it is BYOB.

fort lee , new jersey
“Go for the salt & poor service.................”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is the 3rd time to the new Saddle River Inn. The first two were not bad. Service poor. The restaurant was reviewed recently & received 3 1/2 stars so we went back as the critic raved about the filet mignon and the sauce. My friend & I ordered it & we both commented how over salted it was. We did not send them back because our wives entrees were fine. At $43. a piece plus a tip, we should have!! We finished the entrees, but tasted salt, salt, salt. I like salt, but his was just too much. The mushrooms were sent back as they were inedible due to salt. My wife asked for sweetener from a busboy for her espresso & never received it. When our waiter arrived about ten minutes later, she told him she never received the sweetener so just take the espresso away and not give her another. Instead, he ignored her and brought her another. To top it off, he gave me the wrong dessert wine I brought & did not drink & when I came home & discovered it, I called. They found my wine & wanted me to come back & exchange the bottles! I told them I live 45 minutes away . It was their mistake so come to me & do the exchange. The person who handled the call told me she would relay this to the owner & this is now two days later & still no call. That was a $50. plus bottle! They were knocked for the service in the review & I see why. It was not much better the first two times we were there. This is the 3rd time so 3 strikes, you're out! Never again!

2 Thank lfbmonkey