“Great value and location in Northern NJ: if you want a good night's sleep and a great breakfaststay here!”

Residence Inn Saddle River
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saddle River
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend for a family reunion.
Rates: I called directly and reserved a standard room for $107/night (1 queen bed + pullout couch, kitchenette). The complementary and excellent breakfast gives this hotel an edge over other hotels in the area. It included scrambled and hardboiled eggs, sausage, biscuits, oatmeal, cranberries/waluts, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels etc. For those traveling alone or with children, this really factors into the overall value of this hotel especially in otherwise pricey North Bergen County. Front desk was very cool when my sister locked herself out of the room and didn't give her a problem getting back in.
The grounds here are extremely quiet and our roomb (bldg 3-Rm 118) was quite clean. The bed was one of the more comfortable hotel beds I have slept in. If you come in the summer, there is a nice seasonal pool which is open from 9 am-9 pm, and access to an outdoor grill (we didn't use it). We did not have a car and walked the 2.4 miles each way to our family home (aka base camp). It's worth noting there are no sidewalks in Saddle River for the most part so you have to be very, very careful and stick to the side trailsand paths among McMansions-which I had previous accessed via Google earth. Of course if you are doing anything else in the area you would need to rent a car. The Residence Inn is easily located off Allendale Ave from Rt. 17 and therefore offers easy access to points north (Rockland County) and south (Paramus Mall, Meadowlands, NYC etc). A big shout out to Discount Tires of Paramus( 361 Rt 17, phone 201.265.9181) for patching my aunt's existing flat tire for $15 where other local tire repair places insisted it couldn't be done. I would stay here again without hesitation and recommend it to anyone travelling in or through Northern NJ.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
GM122, General Manager at Residence Inn Saddle River, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

Thank you for the nice comments. We work hard at keeping our hotel clean and we enjoy providing service so memorable our guests tell stories about it. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed August 13, 2010

As with most Residence Inns we have stayed at this was a great experience. Beautifully landscaped property. Clean, large rooms, great breakfast & weekday dinner reception saved us a ton of money. Great outdoor pool, hot tub & basketball court. Free WiFi worked great. Especially impressed with the woman that work the breakfast & dinner. I wish I caught a name, but she went out of her way to assist an elderly woman who was struggling with an umbrella & a young mom with 2 kids. Location only about 20 min drive to Manhattan.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Hello, I recently stayed at this hotel while attending a conference in Suffern, NY. I arrived fairly late on Friday night and did have to wait a few minutes for someone to appear at the desk. He gave me my key, and showed me where I could find my room. The parking area closest to my room was full, but the lot just around the corner had plenty of spaces. No problem, except it was pouring rain (but not the hotel's fault!).

Upon entering my room, and giving it a close inspection, the only complaint I could find is that the drinking glass next to the sink in the bath area was not clean (hard water residue). The paper cap was askew, so perhaps the maid had assumed it wasn't used or forgot to replace it. No problem, as all the glasses and other items in the kitchen were clean. The bedding itself was also crisp and clean.

I stayed three nights. Maid service was done each day, though they did not appear to vacuum. Being an extended stay hotel, it may be that they simply don't vacuum daily. Bed was made but sheets not changed, but that was my option, as a card was offered that you were to leave on the pillow if you wished to have the bedding changed. Given that the weather was cool and I was only there 3 nights, I opted to simply have the bed made. Not sure why they didn't vacuum, but the floor was clean upon check in. I could only tell as some lint from my socks that I had dropped was still there the next day.

Overall, the room was quite satisfactory...no bad odors, everything worked and it was clean upon arrival. I booked this room via priceline and had received an excellent rate of less then half the normal rate. The kitchen has handy to have, as I simply shopped for a couple of TV dinners to prepare in the room for dinner. There is a grocery store less then 3 miles from the hotel. Breakfast was good, with a buffet of eggs, sausage, fruit, cereal, waffles, juice, baked goods, potatoes, etc. Wireless internet is also provided free and worked well.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Wow! This is the first review that I have ever written in my life. But, my disappointing experience has promoted me to review the Residence Inn Saddle River. I have patronized the Residence Inn and/or Marriott's affiliates for many years, tip the housekeeping staff, and do not expect special treatment and/or service beyond reason. For brevity sake, I will only discuss the most important reasons that I feel this is by far the worst experience that I have had at a Resident Inn and/or Marriott's affiliates in the past (Gold Elite Rewards Member). During this trip, traveling from Maine to Ohio, on to Florida and back to Maine, I stayed at many hotels and/or resorts. But, I have no intention of ever staying again and would not recommend anyone to stay at this specific Residence Inn Saddle River. The service is poor. Check in was not pleasant due to what I perceived as an aloof and condesending personality demonstrated by the Registration Staff, when I reguested a lower floor as my preregistration indicated. I immediatedly felt that I was not welcomed here and should be glad that I got any room. Trying to find out information about restaurants in the area which was missing in the room was dfficult because no one would answer the front desk after trying repeatedly.
In my opinion, the quality of the room in terms of cleanliness is very poor and the stench, which appears to be pet stench is strong and nauseating. This room stinks so bad with pet odor that I feel like sleeping sitting up in the chair and I refuse to walk on the carpet w/out shoes. The cost is exorbitant for the poor service and poor guality of room cleanliness. Continuous barking dogs (sounds llike 2 or 3) from the moment I arrived at 5:00 pm and throughout my stay that prohibited peaceful sleep. My intention is to get just enough sleep in order to leave this hotel as early as possible 4:00 am.
I would recommend if the hotel is going to allow pets, use the funds generated from the aformentioned to maintain cleanliness, prevention of offensive stale odors, and/or set aside no pet rooms (such as no smoking rooms) for customers who have allergies and prefer clean environments.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Samatha50
GM122, Manager at Residence Inn Saddle River, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

We apologize for the poor service and smell you encountered while a guest at our hotel. These issues have been corrected and our service has been greatly improved. We do hope you come back and give us a second chance at keeping your business.

Reviewed February 10, 2010

Stayed there for two months. PROs: close to job site, Saddle River is lovely little community. CONs: Hotel room was not in great shape, musty halls with ancient carpet stains, service at front desk was poor, ammenities non-existent. Issues with room not addressed with any type of quickness.
Issues with room included ants, leaky dishwasher, bathroom plumbing issue.
Clients are either people with pets having homes remodeled or workmen on the road. Food is served each evening but it wasn't very good. Pet friendly hotel but due care is not taken to clean stains that pets usually leave behind. There is a pool but, after seeing how hotel was cared for, I didn't want to chance it. I moved hotels to another 10 miles away and am much happier to drive an extra 15-20 minutes to take a deep inhale.
"Gym" was a closet-sized room with three treadmills.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 13, 2009

I had high hopes based on the tripadvisor reviews, and left somewhat disappointed.

The room was a great deal on priceline, so it couldn't be beat for value. However, the original room we were given had several problems. First, on a cold winter day we arrived at 10pm to find the air conditioner on and the room set to 58 degrees. It took an hour to warm up. The plug to use the bathtub was missing. The do not disturb sign was missing. And then, when we were finally ready to go to sleep were unable to relax due to loud noises from the boiler right next to the wall by the bed. I went to the lobby and requested a room change. The next room had none of these problems and was fine. But this change at midnight was not appreciated. The breakfast was ok but not nearly as comprehensive as others described. We told at checkin the scheduled breakfast hours of 7 to 10 would only be 7:30 to 9:30 and the selection was ok but we still wound up getting coffee and snacks elsewhere. Overall, a great deal for the rate but I wouldn't pay the market rate for this property.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYCandworld
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I stayed here just last week for several days to help out my son and his wife who just had a baby. What a find! Its perfectly located, immaculately maintained, the grounds are beautiful, the beds are comfortable and the staff is wonderful ... all were so sincerely welcoming and friendly. They couldn't have been more helpful. I felt right at home, and started the day with a wonderful breakfast. They even had a lovely pool, which I didn't have time to try. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone in the area, who wants to be comfortable at a very reasonable price!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Holiday Inn Express Ramsey-Mahwah
Park Ridge Marriott
Park Ridge Marriott
#1 of 1 in Park Ridge

Been to Residence Inn Saddle River? Share your experiences!