“Bad guest service”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Saddle Brook
Buffalo, NY
“Bad guest service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

I stayed here with a large group for a wedding. Upon arrival there were 3 people at the check-in counter. As we walked in the door, I could see them all look around at eachother to see who would have to take care of me, and I was barely greeted with a hello. They made it seem as though they were annoyed at the fact that they had to do their job. Also, everyone met up at the bar after the wedding. The bartender was extremely rude and acted as if he couldn't wait to get out of there (more horrible service). I called to speak with lost and found, and once again, the person was very rude, and I haven't received a call back in 2 days. The only nice worker I encountered during my stay was the maid!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tac0710

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Clayton, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

The hotel was good overall & I'd probably stay there again but this hotel does have its positives & negatives.

**Positives**
- The room was nice & clean. (Mirrors not streaked, etc)
- The blankets & 2 of the pillows were feathered ones, which were very nice.
- Beds were comfortable.
- Problem with virtual conceirge was fixed upon check-out (a discount applied for the inconvience) ... very nice young woman who checked me out!
- Pool is absolutely gorgeousssss!!! It was very clean & was a beautiful place to lounge or swim.
- Convenient location (Right off of the Garden State Parkway)
- Small store right by front desk is open all night for last minute toothbrush fixes, or snacks.

**Cons**
- Called days before check-in with questions about game hook-ups & why I had not received my email confirmation & the lady I spoke with was rushing me & downright rude. I almost cancelled my reservation due to her bad attitude.
- 2 days before check in I used Virtual Conceirge (spell check?) to request a low floor (since I'm terrified of elevators), slippers, extra bath towels & pillows & when we checked in, none of those things were there. I called down to the front desk and the man working proceeded to tell me that slippers were not complimentary (as the website had said) & that he would send housekeeping to the room the next day with them, but if I was charged for them that there was nothing he could do about it, so I told him do not have them sent to the room.
- Refrigerator is not in room, they are available on request however the website doesn't make that clear.
- Wireless internet access is not free, its $12.95 per 24 hour period.
- Fan in bathroom did not work (but that is easily remedied)
- We stayed near a room with a family that had several children... they were very loud, yelled at the kids, the kids cried etc and it was hard to concentrate. Obviously this will not be at every hotel. Before that family checked in there were no problems with noise.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deezlezbianlvr
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

Having stayed here for 7 nights over two weeks, I can say it's ok -- great in spots, terrible in others.

Check-in is quick but whether you receive your requested room (i.e., king) depends on something . . . not sure what. You may or may not get what you asked for. Elevators are quick.

Rooms are standard Marriott. This is a 1970s hotel that has been refurbed. However, they can't get away from low ceilings, small bathrooms, etc. It's ok, but not luxurious. Bathrooms range from adequate to tiny. Beds are comfortable, internet is quick (but an extra charge at $13), no "road noise."

Most nights were quiet. The last night, a number of people were very loud well after 10 pm. Hard to sleep. Calls to the front desk did . . . nothing.

Conciege level is ok. A European style breakfast (cheese, meat , yogurt, oatmeal, etc.). Alcohol available for reasaonble purchase. OK appetizers and cookies in the evening -if you get a good deal on it, go for it. If it's more than $20 per day, take a pass.

Food is surprisingly good -- either in the restaurant or room service. Onion soup is a winner. Hot food is served hot and cold food cold. Restaurant personnel were very nice. Fitness center is great. Free parking.

Most nights my room was fine. The last night I stayed here, there were people screaming (literally) outside my room until after 10 pm. I complained but it didn't improve. On the conciege level, you should expect more/better, especially for a business hotel. Not sure what to recommend . . .

Overall, it's average. Can't say you shouldn't stay here; can't say you should.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank MisstheDogs
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

If you are looking for a romantic getaway or a place to relax, don't come here. This is a 12-story property with over 200 rooms--you might think this was plenty of space to accommodate all needs. Hah! Requested a quiet room away from elevator and away from large parties (weddings etc.). Despite this request, was kept up all night due to drunken guests yelling, roaming through the corridors, slamming doors. The following morning the desk clerk smirked that there was a wedding and "things got out of hand last night." No apology, no offer of compensation--nada. Am a Marriott member and have complained to them. We'll see how that goes.

• Liked — I don't ever have to go back.
  • Disliked — Lousy management
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank travelguru_NY
Easton, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

We stayed in this hotel using our Marriott Reward Points on 1/31/09 for one night. I booked it online right on Marriotts website. When we arrived they stated they had us for two nights. I showed them my print out reservation that clearly stated one night and using our points so there should be no charge. They then asked us if we wanted a crib and I asked if it was wooden or a pack and play. They stated it was wooden and my huge two year old would fit. We then walked to the room. The hotel really had no type of lobby and looked old. The room was the smallest room I ever stayed in. You could not turn around in the bathroom because it was so small for my son and I. The walls were paper thin and there were two different highways right outside the window. So we were not impressed from the start. When the crib arrived... it was a tiny pack and play. I explained that they stated it was wooden but the deliverly guy said they only have pack and plays at the hotel. We then had them deliver a huge cot in the already too small room. When my son went to sleep ...I actually spotted a black pubic hair on the sheet of the cot by his head. It was so gross. We could not sleep from the constant noise around the other rooms of people coming back from a party down stairs. When we checked out...our Credit Card was charged almost 200 dollars. I went to the front desk and they had to get the manager who said they would take care of it. When I looked at the card this morning...there is 2 nights of charges pending of 400 dollars!!!! I would never ever recommend this hotel. First bad experience I have ever had at a Marriott.

• Liked — Carol and Manual who worked in the hotel restruant
  • Disliked — Everything else...
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Easton_PAFamilyof4
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

Our adult children had spent Christmas with us and it was time to make the trek to JFK airport to see everyone off. We decided to treat ourselves to an overnight and some shopping in New Jersey before returning to our home farther upstate in New York.
We had booked the Marriott Saddle Brook because it offered a good weekend rate, pool, and we could take advantage of after Christmas sales at local malls. The hotel has undergone a refurbishment and is very contemporary in design. We were placed in a room on the 10th floor. The hotel has 12 floors.
Parking is complimentary but there is a charge for internet, which is not wifi. Computer access is free down in the business center.
We were disappointed the pool was closed for repair. There is not a hot tub at this hotel. There is a very complete exercise center. I get the impression the pool has been closed for some time. We did not eat at the hotel. There is a Dunkin' Donuts right next door for an inexpensive breakfast.
Our room was spacious, clean, well appointed, and there was a complimentary robe hanging in the closet. The hotel staff were friendly, courteous and helpful.
The hotel is not centrally located but it was only a five minute drive to the Garden State Plaza, a large well appointed Mall. Ikea is next door to the mall. We had a nice relaxing light dinner at a restaurant at the Mall, Joe's-An American Bar & Grill. There are numerous stand alone restaruants near the mall, full restaurants at the mall and the food court.
This hotel served our purpose, which was to have a relaxing evening together following a week of family visits. We won't be returning. It's just that there are so many other places to visit.

• Liked — recent refurbishment, spacious room, good value
  • Disliked — Pool closed, no free wifi
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah W
murfreesboro, tn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2008

I stayed here with my daughter, husband and kids (3) on april 10-14,2008 and it was the worst time I have ever had in/at any hotel! We arrived late, our reserved rooms were given to someone else, the overnight desk agent was from HELL !! He made no apologizes for not having the rooms we reserved (with a creditcard) and told us the best thing he could do was put us in 2 king rooms with rollaways. Now this is not what I signed up for. In addition to that no one mentioned that hote was under renovations, the pool wasn't available and breakfast for 4 was $70.00. This was a horrible hotel, I will never stay, I repeat never stay there again!! very unhappy. Did i neglect to mention that the Manager made no attempt to contact us during our stay! bad, bad, situation all around!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The service of over night desk agent
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
#3 of 5 in Paramus
Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Mariott Paramus
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights

Been to Saddle Brook Marriott? Share your experiences!