“Lacking in th basics”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Saddle Brook
Chicago
“Lacking in th basics”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel does not fit the MARRIOTT chain of hotels, more in the mode of Red Roof Inn or Ramada Inn. The welcome at the front desk was EXCEPTIONAL (and set high expectations) and the lobby had two kinds of fruited water and lemonade available to guests. Beyond that the nightmare starts! The exterior, rooms (updating needed), concierge room (limited food selections and a charge for guest concierge members to use the broken computer), business center (who ever heard of no staples, hole punch, or paper clips in a business center?), and hallways (cleanliness and updating needed) were all subpar. As a Marriott Platinum member I was thoroughly disappointed. For a better experience in this locale… Proceed swiftly (run, don't walk!) to the Renaissance in Rutherford, where they know what hospitality, cleanliness, and service is all about beyond just the front desk arrival experience. I have NO plans of ever staying here again.

Room Tip: Higher level
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Don't get me wrong, this hotel was average, but I don't think it deserves the Marriott name. Maybe more like a Red Roof Inn or a Ramada. 3 stars at best. Rooms were a good size. Bed was comfortable. Old carpeting in the rooms, probably needs to be replaced soon. The bathrooms were very small and tight...this would be good if this hotel was in Europe. Only one person can realistically be in the bathroom at a time. The doorways are very small, so its probably not even handicap accessible. Overpriced for the accommodations. Again, the hotel wasn't terribly bad, I just expected a nicer place for a Marriott.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MSGSWG
Cranbury, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

As with most Marriott's, the Saddle Brook Marriott didnt disappoint. We needed a last minute room the day before, price was acceptable/average. Reception area was nice, a quick check in and a bell hop came out for our bags. As requested we had a king room near the elevators. The room was equivalent to the size of a standard balcony cabin on board a cruise ship, meaning small. But, adequate for our needs, clean, comfortable bed and bedding, ample outlets for all your computing needs- coffee. Just wish the mirror above the desk was lower for us shorter people who need to blow dry or iron their hair! :-) There is a bar adjacent to reception, we didnt get to use it, again, we were there over night for a wedding we had in the area. Although this sits between highways, our room was noise free.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CruiseChatterDiva
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here one night while in town for a friend's wedding. The hotel was clean, the bed was comfy, and the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. If I'm ever in the area again I would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Castle Pines, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have stayed here annually since 2008 (reserving at least 2 rooms) when we return to the area with the extended family to visit cemeteries, friends, etc. We make our reservations well in advance and this year had the "advantage" of gold status. Without a doubt, these were two of the worst possible rooms they could have given us. I will say the staff were very friendly but the maid service left a lot to be desired. I think we'll look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: I couldn't do it for myself so I have no ability to give anyone else a tip; I'd probably mes...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Walt and Gwynne W
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I must admit to having enough good experiences at Marriott properties to look there first when traveling to a new area and this one didn't disappoint. I always look for good running routes and when I asked at the front desk there was no hesitation - they knew right where to send me and even walked me out the front door to point out turns. I ended up going to a local park that was perfect, but which I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

And after a long day of travel I just wanted to get a quick meal without more driving. Got a great Cobb salad on site. Definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Bill H
Sao Leopoldo, RS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel between 28/08/2011-29/08/2011, just two days and my watch was stolen in my bedroom. It was a "2011 Suunto Core Sahara Yellow Computer Watch" that I bought in Amazon. I talked with the managed but he didn`t give attention to me and that he couldn`t do anything. I`m 100% sure that the watch was stolen in the bedroom because in the night of 28/08 I opened the package of the watch and I put it in my backpack. I spent the day in Central Park in New York and when I returned to the hotel, this watch wasn`t there.
Be careful with this hotel....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
#3 of 5 in Paramus
Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Mariott Paramus
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights

Been to Saddle Brook Marriott? Share your experiences!